3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Tips for Turning 60???  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Tips for Turning 60???
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
I will be 60 in June if I make it.....hahaha!! In September   :thumbsup:   I am going to the Spearhead ranch in Wyoming to hunt antelope. This will be my second trip there. Awesome hunt!!!Lots of animals and close shots!! The Moore family and crew are outstanding hosts!   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I been lucky Foxbo. Had 3 operations that changed my old age life Id say. Had both rotator cuffs repaired and a disk in my tailbone repaired. The disk was so bad I was crippled by it for hunting. If I hunted on a Monday Id have to recover till Wednesday before I could get out again and only then with bigtime pain. I couldnt pull a bow for 10 yrs due to my rotator cuff. So I hobbled and shot rifles. My advice is to not hurt yourself by thinking your a youngin. Let the young men drag them deer and do the bull work if you can. Prostate cancer is the best cancer to have if your gonna have to choose one. It wont kill ya per say and is easily treated nowdays. My bro-inlaw had radiation actually inserted into his body and is doing very well. Heres hoping for another 20 yrs chasing deer and enjoying life.

Offline oldhunter72*

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Don't do it

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
I ignored turning 60.......that was 3 years ago.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
just stay active and doing the things you want to do

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Dang, there are a bunch of us old coggers on here,LOL. 60 aint nothin but a number, keep doin what you want and like, when ya quit is when ya die. I'll Be 64 in November.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Turned 61 in January. I think the hardest part for me is knowing I'm getting ever closer to the end. Sort of saddens me but we plow forward now don't we ? I buried my Dad 3 years ago and the last years for him were not good by any measure. Stay on top of the annual physicals and the prostate checks and colon look sees are sound advice. I walk quite a bit to keep my legs under me and try to do some wind sprints while walking to help the cardio. Watching what you eat will go a long way. The only red meat I now eat is venison except for the occasional sirloin. The rest is chicken or turkey, fish and small wild game and birds. Also , fiber will never fail you. LOL.
  I'm no Bible thumper by any means but getting and staying right with the Lord is always a good idea.
  Bottom line is , none of us are getting out of this alive and as such we should live it that way.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
I'm 68 and waited to let some others say it first but 60 is not old! I am BLESSESD to have never had a serious illness or injury and do work a bit at maintaining my health but even with today's "modern" lifestyles the average male in America lives to his mid/high 70s I believe. If we stayed away from tobacco, alcohol to excess and raising bellies as big as Labrador retrievers, the large majority of us wouldn't need tips on turning 70.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Just turned 60 this past Friday. Still doing most everything I've done till now. Gave up rock climbing and mountain biking because I don't want to risk any more injuries.
I work with younger folks a lot, eat pretty well, stay active, and while I'm aware of my years, still feel pretty young.
Sixty is the new forty!
I'm hearing the suggestions here, too; I do need to get a couple screenings (usually don't see a doctor unless it's an emergency).

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm an expert at 60-I turned that number in February-     :cool:    

I like threads here where fellows older than me are still very active in bowhunting.  They give me lots of hope that I ain't done yet.

God willing this should be my most ambitious year in 45 years of bowhunting; turkey, black bear (New Brunswick), Moose (Alberta), and of course white-tail here at home.  

A few days ago, after researching for a few months I applied (first timer) for a Bighorn permit in Montana. I'm also in the hopper for year 8 for the Ky elk season.

There are lots of folks whose best bowhunting years took place after 60. Let's join em!

I took up mountain bike riding this past August. I love it but I have to admit that I went over the handlebars 3 weeks ago and am still nursing cracked or broken ribs. I wasn't on a trail, just riding the roads for exercise around my house. I hit the road to keep from being hit by a car.  I'll be back on it in another week or so.

Love those Harley pics! I've only owned rice-burners and those were more than 25 years ago. I love the new blacked-out Sportsters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©