3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Foam question  (Read 200 times)

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
Foam question
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
O.K.,
 I've never owned a bow with, but am considering one with foam cores. What is the consensus...good, bad, otherwise? Does it break down over time (unlike, say bamboo)? Smoother than the "usual" cores? Any comments would be welcome. Thanks, Terry
Terry

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foam question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
My experience, a touch smoother and a touch louder. Pick your poison.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
And, in the event of a landing on water, your bow will become a floatation device.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
I have a Zipper ZSR with carbon & foam longbow and recurve limbs.I find them smooth,fast and quiet.I haven't heard of them breaking down overtime.Olyimpic shooters have used foam core limbs for many years.They say yhey are less affected by temperature changes as one aspect of them.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
I have only shot one bow with foam core limbs. It shot fine.....it just sounded funny (not loud, just different) and I could not get over that!

Bisch

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 01:18:00 AM »
Hello T. A. C:
Your question has been a topic here before with much comment.  Bottom line is foam is fine; even if older stuff.  For reasonable hunting and target purposes it has no downsides and respected builders using it like it.  One respected builder told me that he tried foam in hunting bows and suspected it was possibly a bit noisier but he's the only one that I could find with that opinion.  ALL others likes it. Trust a respected bowyer and you'll get a great bow regardless of the core.  I think that foam allows the boywer to craft with more draw weight certainty because it is more consistent for a given taper.  I have bows with bamboo, foam and other proprietary cores and all are wonderful.  For me,  with a decently tuned bow, the largest "noise" determinant is the HEIGHT of fletching.  Enjoy.
Regards,
Kevin

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
The foam I have tried has been smooth and quiet, unless you add carbon. I prefer foam limbs with something else instead of carbon.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Hey Guys,
Thanks to all for your comments. I was just a little nervous about something "new" to me. I'll give it a try and put in my .02 worth after an honest comparison. Thanks again.
Terry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©