3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anchorage AK where to Stay & Eat  (Read 784 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Anchorage AK where to Stay & Eat
« on: March 28, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
Headed to AK to Moose hunt in September 2014 and will have to stay in Anchorage a few days on the way in and out.  I have done some internet searches for hotels and they seem expensive to me. The more reasonably priced ones do not have good reviews…Like smells like puck and cat urine.   Would welcome input on where to stay and eat economically in Anchorage.  What about places to get good seafood?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchorage AK where to Stay & Eat
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »
Well economic and Anchorage do not match up well.  You can expect to pay $100+ for a room per night and food is expensive unless you eat fast food.

Even the $5 footlong at Subway is $7.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
I stayed at the Capt.Cook Hotel for one night. It was pricey but clean and top notch. Fletchers sports pub in the same building was excellent for diner, again pricey but excellent. There is nothing cheap in Alaska if your traveling.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Alaska is not known for inexpensive food or lodging. If you like pizza, though, the Moose's Tooth is as good as I have ever eaten, and not expensive by Alaska standards.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Steve,

I stayed at the Qupqugiaq Inn, 45/night it was clean and secure at least in 2002.

For eats chek out, Humpy's, the Snow Goose Rest. and sleeping lady Brewery. There was a great breakfast joint called Blennie's, not sur eif I am spelling that right.

Sean

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
There is every type of food in Anch.  All ethnic foods, plus the more common styles.  A lot will depend on where you stay and if you have a car.  If you are downtown, Club Paris is hard to beat for a great steak.  

As to hotels, it may be better to hit the chains.  There are many hotels available in town, and Sept. Is the tail end of the tourist season so availability should not be an issue.  How long will you be in Anchorage before you head to the bush?
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
When are you going to be in Anch, dates?  Are you planning on renting a car?  How many in your party?
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Bluegill sez,
"I stayed at the Qupqugiaq Inn, 45/night it was clean and secure at least in 2002."

We stayed in our pickup camper in one of the RV Parks (read, parking lots) in 2012, and I think it was $50 a night then. Alaska is awesome, but it ain't cheap.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks all for the input...Please keep it coming.

The Qupqugiaq Inn I believe has gone up significantly since 2002...like tripled.

As it stands today, we fly into Anchorage on 9/6/14 then fly to McGrath on the 8th then into the bush same day...so two nights going in will be spent in Anchorage.

Coming out is the tricky part but if all goes as scheduled, we will fly back into Anchorage on 9/23 then home on 9/25. So another 2 night in Anchorage.

I did look into the Hostels and they seem very reasonable and a few have private rooms.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
My favorite hotels in Anchorage are the Dimond Center Hotel, The Captain Cook, and for long-term the Voyager as it has large rooms and frig, etc.  Many of the hotels have free shuttle service to and from the airport.  The Dimond Center hotel has a pretty good continental breakfast that is included in your room fee.

All the restaurants the guys mention above are great, I would also add the Glacier Brewhouse, and then the Snow City Cafe is fun for breakfast.  For sushi I like Komagoro (spelling is probably only close) I think its on 4th, or the New Sagaya on the Old Seward Highway.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
If you get downtown check out the Snow Goose Restaurant, good food and good beer (brew pub).
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
I am a big Micro Brew fan...IPAs are at the top of my list!
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
We have stayed at the Puffin Inn on a couple of trips out by the airport.  It's clean and pretty quiet with big rooms.

There are a number of places to eat in the area also.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
I woke up a time or two on the floor of Chilkoot Charlie's, dont remember how much that cost though.   :biglaugh:

When I was there Simon and Seaforts I think it was had the best primerib and beer battered halibut ever.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
I'd second the Moose's Tooth for both beer and pizza. We rented a motor home, so I can't help with the motels.

Inexpensive and Alaska are rarely used in the same sentence, but the experience is certainly worth the cost.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Well, thanks to all your input I am starting to see I can probably get in around $100 a night at a decent hotel. When we get to Anchorage it is still their high season rates but when we get back there the rates have drop by $40 plus buck a night. Once I pick a place I will call to see if I can get off season rates on all nights.

Also been looking at the eateries some have tossed out.  There appears to be some fine food served in Anchorage. Has anyone had BARENTS SEA COLOSSAL RED KING CRAB LEGS that go for $70 at the restaurants?
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline Capt Steve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
We stayed one night at Dimond Center in Anchorage and found it very nice with a great breakfast   They also provided a freezer for our halibut
I had my heart set on king crab while in Alaska but couldn't believe they cost $50 a lb!   Didn't think I could digest that.
Steve

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Stayed at the MicroTel near the airport.  Fairly expensive, but not as much as most.  Not the greatest hotel, but it was clean, no smell.  Can't complain.

Food:  Moose's Tooth.  Food in AK is very expensive.  Moose's Tooth is the best - great food, good service, good price.  You won't regret it.

Have fun.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
What going rental vehicle prices in Anchorage, anything with 4WD? ....Thanx

Now have 5 weeks vacation, and thinking about just flying to Anchorage and just tooling around a couple weeks, just to so called get my feet wet for being there the first time...

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Mike's suggestion about the Puffin Inn is a good one as long as you recognize that you'll be in the quivering underbelly of Anchorage (Spendard) when there.  Personally quivering underbellies don't bother me too much.  

Gwennies for breakfast is pretty hard to beat.  Also, Snow City Cafe downtown is great for breakfast too.  Like several others have said, The Moose's Tooth and Humpy's are both good watering holes with good sensible food.  The view westward out of the bar at Simon & Seafort's at sundown is pretty awesome if the weather is clear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©