3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anchorage AK where to Stay & Eat  (Read 783 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anchorage AK where to Stay & Eat
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
Reading Classicsportsman's comments, one thing I always keep in mine about a hotel is unless I'm there with a girlfriend or for work, I could care less about what the room is like.  It's only a place to sleep and shower.  I flea motel will pretty much make you go out on the town and not sit in the room watching TV.
I'm with CJ on this one,  unless I have the wife along, all I need is a shower and a place to lay my head. For goodness sake,  if I'm about to embark on a 1-2 week trip back in the bush, I can handle a sketchy hotel room for a night or two.  I'll have my own bed to look forward to for the rest of the year when I return.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I have stayed in the Microtel a few times. Price is reasonable and comes with a breakfast. Has a shuttle and is close to the airport. Very clean and modern.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Humpy's in downtown Anchorage is good for beer, fresh fish, and crab legs.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
I have found Alaska Meat Haulers who will take the entire moose, cape and rack back to MI via semi for $750.  If I am successful, I am
debating whether I should have the moose butchered in Anchorage or when I get back to MI.  Indian Valley Meats outside Anchorage will process a Moose for 50 cents a lbs.  For those of you who have hunted and taken game in AK, what do you suggest?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Steve,
Indian Valley Meats does a good job.  They processed my moose last year.  However, I think I'll have this year's done down here.  Either way the meat will have to be frozen for shipment.  If frozen in unprocessed state then it obviously will have to be unfrozen and immediately processed down south.  Not a significant problem but one that requires attention.

No personal experience or knowledge with Alaska Meat Haulers, so I can't comment there.

What I and Mike have done is to become "known shippers" with Alaska Airlines.  Then you can ship your meat & rack anywhere Alaska Airlines or their affiliates fly.  The cost is a bit less than $1 per pound of shipment.  To do this you'll have to build in a couple/three days in Anchorage after your hunt to handle the freezing and shipping logistics.

Good luck!

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
I checked with the meat processor here were I live in MI and he gets 80 cents a lbs to process wild game.  Indian Village will be a better deal if I can work it out to get the meat to the semi hauler once it is done since I will be back in MI.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
Steve ,  I personally have not used Indian Valley meats but some of my family in that area has and has nothing but good things to say about them , hard to find in a meat processor. While your in Indian Valley might as well go down to Girdwood and eat at the Double Muskie.
Getting your meat home is a chore and as John said needs to be added into the trip time.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Hi Ted.  How much time I have at the end of the hunt is still an unknown at this point...weather along with whether we have to hunt through the last day will be a major factors...oh yes and if we tag anything too.  Our hunting season ends on the 20th and I am anticipating being back in Anchorage on the 23rd and then our flight back to MI leaves at 6am on the 25th.  I can always pay whatever the fee is with Delta to change my departure date if need be.  I bought a refundable ticket from the village we fly into from the bush to Anchorage knowing I may not hit the 23rd date.  I am thinking the more time I spend in AK the better. I am thinking I will rent a car went I get back to Anchorage if I have Moose meat to get to Indian Village and if I do make it there, I will head to Gardwood and hit Double Muskie.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©