3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkey broadhead help needed!  (Read 232 times)

Offline SteveInNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
turkey broadhead help needed!
« on: March 29, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
All, does anyone have advice for choosing a turkey broadhead? I shoot a 45# recurve. I can be flexible on grains as I have to purchase some new arrows anyway.

Thanks!
Steve

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkey broadhead help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
You don't have to do anything special, I mean if you already have one you like, use it!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Any well designed broadhead you would use for deer will work for turkeys as well.  Make sure they are sharp.  

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
I admire your determination is hunting turkey with a bow.  Fortunately they are not tough and penetration is not an issue as with deer or larger game.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
I can tell you the one I shot was with a wensel woodsman.  The bird flew away with my arrow sticking through him.  Found him under a tree and finished him off.  But, they are a tough bird and I disagree with the above penetration comment.  I think their feathers protect them considerably by slowing our arrows down.

I've heard that whatever set up you use for deer is good for turkey.  That said, get your broadhead sharp and remeber the vital area is small.  After the shot be sure to follow that bird!

Good luck.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline WAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I agree with J. Holden, they are tough. I have had the best results with 3 blades.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN of courage; be strong.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
You need a sharp, sharp head. At certain angles, those feathers are tough to penetrate. On a side note--I was out deer and turkey scouting today. I can't wait. Peace!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©