3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: field course target backstop ideas?  (Read 313 times)

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
field course target backstop ideas?
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm putting together a small field course and wonder what would be a good choice for targets. Field points only and bows of 50 - 65 lbs.. I'll be making 10 of these so cost is a concern. I'd prefer not to use something that's going to result in bits of plastic, foam, or whatever mucking up the woods. Back in the day it was hay bales, compressed tentest or sewn burlap.
What have you had luck with?

Thanks, Greg

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: field course target backstop ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Greg welcome to tradgang...there are quite a few members here from Canada...if you let us know where in this big country you are there could very well be someone nearby who has done what you are proposing...if you can get enough carpet I have seen it work well

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
You would compress strips of carpet edgewise just as with tentest...arrows pull much easier

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
We used hay bales for years. When they got shot up we tore they apart and scattered the stuff over the trails to keep the weeds down. The downfall of hay is rain and compound bows. We had both at that time. We also bought a bander and steel strapping to tighten them up. We covered the stack with roofing to help keep some of the rain off.
Carpet and such will last a long time but you will need a source. We used to back the target butts with carpet also.
Excelsior bales are what we use now with rubber belting on the back to keep the compound bows from shooting through. The bales are pricey but last a very long time. Rain tightens them. Sometimes so much you need help pulling arrows.

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 03:59:00 AM »
I shoot into a few things... Peatmoss bricks work well at $10, I have a feed bag filled with plastic bags and spray foam(let it dry a long time, sticky sticky sticky), burlap bags stuffed with plastic sheeting, wool, or cotton then last longer then most.
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31:00 AM »
go to bag.com and see some of the great bag target at good prices. I just go to walmart and get used plastic bags  or shrink wrap and fill them up. The key is to hang the bags so they can move, it reduces ware by over 80%.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
For $30 and shipping you can get a Morrell Outdoor Range XXL replacement cover from Lancaster and stuff it full of the shrink wrap mentioned above. Will last a long time.When I was shooting a compound I built a 14 target field range using bags of this type hung from stands made of two posts and a crossbar, also tied the bottom corners loosely, so that the bag gave when hit, but stoped when you were pulling arrows.Here's my 80 yd walk-up. Note that this is not set up for a traditional bow. Would have to cut that beautiful Manzanitta down!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:02:19 PM by elkslayer4x5 »
'skin that one, and I'll get ya another!"

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Feed bags stuffed with the plastic covers from the dry cleaner.  Ball up the plastic and compact it into the feed bag as tight as you can get it.  The dry cleaner might even let you set up collection barrel at the shop.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like some sort of stuffed bag is the first thing to try and if that doesn't work for me I'll go with compressed carpet. Has anyone tried lumber tarps for stuffing material?

elkslayer4x5 that's a nice setup! I couldn't cut that tree either, it's a beauty.

Cheers, Greg

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
One of the nicer 3-D courses I've shot was sited on some rolling hills. All of the targets had a hill side behind them. Sure beats looking for arrows under the leaves and grass if your terrain allows it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
"For $30 and shipping you can get a Morrell Outdoor Range XXL replacement cover from Lancaster"

Thanks for the recommendation elkslayer4x5. I ordered a dozen this morning.

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
So it took me a while...  ;-O

Two more are stuffed and ready to hang.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
I stuff bags with old couch cushions people are throwing away.  Works well for 50# anyways.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
I simpele use cardboard boxes, stuff them with plastic and tape them. I get the boxes from grocery stores. The plastic is old package material, the one with the bubbles is the best. They really stop arrows with field points, but sometimes you get a pass through.
The don't last very long, but when they are gone, I just take a new box and fill it with the plastic which was in the old ones.
You can vary in size and in how placing them.,
Fun, easy to be done and no costs!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 03:40:00 AM »
I use old sofa cushions like James do. Right now I have two cushions strapped together. Works fine for me, but I only shoot 37#...
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
The plastic bags used for water softener salt hold up very well when stuffed tightly inside a bag or box.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©