3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Damn TICKS!! Already out in force!  (Read 562 times)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Damn TICKS!! Already out in force!
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Went out for a nice walk in the woods with my daughter today...probably 2.5 hours or so.  Didn't think there would be a problem this early....man was I wrong!  Both of us were covered up at the end of the day..   :scared:   ...damn!  I hate those things.  Time to break out the Permetherin!  I guess it's good that the chiggers don't seem to be out there.....yet!  

Is this normal for them to be heavy this early?  I'm worried the warm months are going to be REALLY bad!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damn TICKS!! Already out in force!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I have got a few on me at work in the past couple weeks. I went turkey hunting this morning and didn't get any though. I was really hopeful that this long cold winter would kill some of em out but I don't think it made much of a dent.

I've actually got them a lot earlier when spring hit a little sooner. I guess they have been holed up and hungry all winter so as soon as it gets warm enough for them to move the little devils are out for blood.

They are always horrible in turkey season then they seem to slack up a little towards summer.  But I'm with ya brother...I HATE the damn things.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
Some years back, here in PA, we had a good snow cover winter like this year.

I was out in March and covered in ticks with snow still on the ground in spots, but it was a warm day.

Hard to know if they're the deadly "deer ticks" or "seed" ticks of the year hatching... they're both so small...

Thanks for the reminder. If I get out at all fishing, I'd better douse up before hand... turkey is not till May 3, but they'll be in force before that here, I'm sure.

Cold winter seems to just make them all hatch at the same time!  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
I hate ticks too but mostly when they are getting on the kids.  We won't see them for another few weeks here though as we still have several feet of snow on the ground.
habujohn

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Well we have few ticks out here in the West; but I did manage to get a dose of Poison Oak last week!    :archer:

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Picked up a can of off deep woods today for that reason, sorry to hear they got ya.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »
Time for the big yellow bottle of Permetherin!!!!!!
  :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »
In the thumb of Michigan and around Mio, Mi where I grew up we never had ticks or chiggers.  I didn't learn about them until I went to Alabama.  I would rather have the ticks than chiggers.  One caution, never screw up the names by saying chicks and tiggers as that is very catchy and makes people laugh.  Also, makes them ask what you really got into.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 02:25:00 AM »
Hey Patrick, thanks for being the guinea pig! Lol! Now I know I need to treat all of my huntin' clothes before I try to find some thunder chickens. Probably better hit the campin' clothes and tents before the Fred Asbell camp, too, huh?

Sorry to hear you and Mia got attacked, but glad to see y'all got out and did some shootin'!

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 02:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by double eagle:
One caution, never screw up the names by saying chicks and tiggers as that is very catchy and makes people laugh.  Also, makes them ask what you really got into.
Actually, that's how my dad and I decided we'd say it all the time when we had a good laugh at ourselves the first time we accidentally said it that way. Admittedly, we HAD gotten into the adult beverage cooler at camp before that. Lol

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I've been treated for Lyme's three times in four years. Last year we sprayed all of our outer garments, both hunting and outdoor work clothes, with the permetrium….solved our tick problems. In the warmer weather when not hunting a good DEET formula seems to work well, also.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Absolutely use the permethrin based products - all year long. DEET does not kill ticks, and I have not found it to be effective against them. Ticks have been an issue year round for me for many years.
Sam

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Had ticks on me for the first time ever last fall while trimming for a stand, freaked me big time.  Bought some permethrin but never had a tick again. My hunting property doesn't seem to have them 1800' elevation.  The ticks I got (2) where in lowlands.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
what was Noah thinking when you let ticks on the big boat?   :knothead:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Any input on where and how to safely use permethrin.?

Thnks

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
When I was a kid there were no tcks around here in the wooded areas or grassy hills by the rivers.  What gets me is how so many creatures are diminishing in numbers for various reasons, but ticks keep right on increasing.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Gator,  you can do a search here and find out alot about the Permethrin....some guys buy the strong stuff and dilute their own..not too sure about that.  I just bought the spray on stuff at Wal Mart or Bass Pro and applied it to my clothes the night before.  I learned about it here after getting completely eaten by ticks and chiggers one day! You don't spray on the skin..just on your clothes and the directions say it will last a while!  All I know is that the next time I went out after applying the stuff.....NOTHING touched me!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Switch what department at walley world has it?

Thank you is it in an aerosol form.?

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Should be in the sporting goods area....around the hunting and fishing stuff. Yellow bottle....not aerosol...pump spray.  

Looks like this!

Hope that helps!! It really works.
   Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©