3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year  (Read 953 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Before I get to old to do it at all, I'm thinking about a solo kayak/bow hunt in the North country. Either Cedar River Flow or maybe Indian Lake area. Most likely 3 nights and will pack just like I was backpacking.....LIGHT!! Takedown 2pc longbow and some cedar arrows. Deer and bear will be open. Any thought on getting ready for this kind of adventure??? This would be early October I think!   :campfire:      :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Hey Ron

I would get some topo maps of where u intend to wonder, make sure someone has copies, so they know where to start looking God fobid you don't check in when your supposed to. I went the light weight route for my elk hunt this passed Sept. So it really depends on if your going to have to portage a lot, or hike far from the water for the day off more. If your only going to do day long hunts, and not have to portage, then you can take a lot more creature comforts with you because weight becomes a lot less ofa factore.

As far as training goes start of easy and do a lot of stretching, before and after your workouts, with increasing your stamina as you go along, until you find that you can pretty much go all day with your pack, bow, and quiver on. Get a light weight walking stick, if you plan on hiking up and down hills with your pack on, it also really helps when packing out meat.

I also used kettlebells, but you really have to know how to use them, I was lucky being under the tutelage of my son who works out with them regularly.

Best of luck
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Ken, been hunting and camping in the area for years, got the maps and such. I will paddle to an area and set up camp and stay for the duration, maybe a 3-5 mile trip. I go to the gym everyday and help teach martial arts so I'm not in to bad a shape...lol! Just looking for un-thought of tips and advice!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Ron,

If you are going to shoot a big one, make sure it's close to the road. Heaven forbid you shoot a deer or bear 16 miles from camp.    :scared:    You would end up spending a couple extra days    :readit:    

Bug Spray and Toilet Paper may be your best friends on this trip.!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
Wow Ron, great minds think alike LOL!

I have been thinking of doing something very similar ever since Izzy and I hunted the Moose River Plains Last fall.  In fact I was looking at the area just east of Cedar River flow.  Check out the maps.  It is called Buck Mountain.  I would have to canoe south till almost the end.  I may go up there this summer and canoe across to see if there is any area suitable to set up camp close to the water, so I wouldn't really be backpacking in far.  I guess I would bring a small tent and sleeping bag.  A small cooler with food.  A nice take-down ILF recurve (guess where I got the riser!).  I bought one of those Kelly Kettles to cook some light meals on.  It would sure be spooky (for me) being out there alone at night, but it would be way cool!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
http://mapper.acme.com/    

This link may work, Ron.  I want to camp down by the water and hunt my way up.  Or part way up.  Something about the name Buck Mountain that intrigues me...

You can zoom in or out to see where I might go.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
I'll be following this
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Hi Ron. Great idea for sure. If I read it right the 2014 early bear season opens 13Sept in the Northern zone, something to consider. I have made many trips backpacking, with kayaks, and a bow. I always seem to return to Stillwater reservoir, beautiful big woods to wonder.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Ron P.  There is another mountain in the adks called Big Buck and little buck, they have great deer numbers for being the Adirondacks. Best accessed by boat.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Been back in that area many a time in my 70+ years. That trip will get you away from the crowd although there is a jeep road that follows the west side of the flow to its southern end.  Not sure if the rd is open or closed to vehicles at this time.  At the south end of the flow you would have good camping and Bookies to dine on.  Buck Mt is just east of the flow and the mt runs North, North East forming a long ridge.  The west side is not real steep but if you drop off the east side you will regret it. Beer have been plentiful on the mountain at times.  You never know with the Adirondacks. The best place to learn about the area is pick up a copy of "French Louie".  Not only will you learn a lot about that area but you will also find a new hero. A better than average chance to see a Moose on that trip.  Seems the Flow is one of the hot spots. I am not to far from you.  Brian.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Hey Ron,

Didn't you and Charlie hunt out west a couple years ago?  Was that kind of a remote hunt like you are planning?
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
Goggle earth is a good tool, I have been using it to look for good spots to kayak bowfish this summer.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Another place you might want to check is Bog River Flow. Canoed in there a few times during the summer and saw deer. the water is not as big as Indian and Cedar so wind wont blow you off the water. Hunting season should find less people too.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline JMSmithy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Beautiful area.  I haunt the million + acres of the West Canada wilderness, close to my house/Sugarbush ( border of Towns of Russia and Ohio by Morehouse). ALMOST did a fly-in w/ buddy of mine last year but the $!?!$(!! wind kept us grounded.
" If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing " - Me
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life Member UBNJ, NRA, SCI, TU, NAHC, SCI Chapter No American Handgun  Hunter Chapter, RGS

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Do it!  Nothing to lose and sounds like a great way to spend a week!  I don't know a thing about kayaking but sounds like a pretty normal trip as far as gear requirements.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Charlie and I camped at 10,000 feet but it was accessible by road. On this trip I would kayak 3-5 miles from the truck and camp lakeside. Most likely hunt with in a mile from camp. Ronp, I have hiked to the end of Cedar River Flow and camped near Colvin Brook lean-to. Your back there pretty good. I'm keeping the areas I'm looking at in mind because they are not to far from home, maybe an hour and 20 minutes, Yet they give you chance to be miles from a road and darn few hunters.....maybe none.

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Ron
I hunt remote areas in The Great Addies every season, mostly packing,some canoeing..first aid kit, 2 good compasses, water purifier, GPS..excellent flashlight (darker than the inside of a cow) up there in the early fall..possess good wood skills, and do a re-con as to where you are going. Have nerves of steel, getting twisted 22 miles from pavement can spell disaster. Taking a true mountain buck with a longbow and wooden arrows will be a memory to last a lifetime.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
The big problem with flying into the West Canada Wilderness is most of the lakes are off limits to float planes in the "Designated Wilderness Area". The state has gone to far with there rules. The Sahara Club is having to much say on how we use our land.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
I think I will take the wife on a few day kayak trips with a picnic to checkout spots to camp and look for any areas that look like they would be gamey. I like hunting creeks and drainages.

Offline Oak518

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Ron Long Lake my favorite Lake Lila another.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©