3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year  (Read 957 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Just 3 nights won't be enough time..
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  3 Nights on the ground is about all this old guy can take. In the Adirondacks 20 nights may not be enough!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Years ago ,my grandfather worked for JP Lewis paper company. We use to hunt the paper company land up around North Lake. This conversation brought back some wonderful memories.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Do a couple of dry runs w a fishing rod - scout - camp - if it is suitable for a return campsite cut firewood and stash. and for me out  of a canoe I would run a hammock w tarp fly cover camp.
<><
<-----------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
 :biglaugh:   3 Nights on the ground is about all this old guy can take. In the Adirondacks 20 nights may not be enough!
Spend the money and buy a good sleeping pad like a Big Agnus insulated air core pad.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
I have had all kinds of Air/foam/and every other type sleeping pad and The ground is still the ground. I have a packable cot but not sure if I want that much weight to take along. I guess if it makes sleep better it may be worth it. That hammock idea maybe the way to go!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Let me say a couple things ... first teh adriondacks are possibly the greatest place on the east coast IMO.

I say go for it man!
If it were me I'd have a good map laminated so it's waterproof, a good compass or two, and a GPS ... getting lost will not be awesome.

Plan on maybe being more than 3 days ... because if you shoot a deer on day 3, you may very easily be walking a mile or more farther out to track it, you just never know ... or it could end up at the bottom of a steep ravine and it might take a full day to pack it out ... you may not be able to track, pack and canoe back to your vehicle in one afternoon ...

I've heard the camping hammocks are good for trips like this where you may be expecting rough, rocky, or unlevel ground.

Lastly, Spring bear in that area opens like Sep. 19th and deer opens Sep. 27th or something like that.

If it were me I'd consider late September as it will be slightly warmer probably.

I did a similar trip (on foot) in the western high peaks a few years back with a buddy in late september and it was already getting at-near freezing at night and highes of maybe 40 during the day ... that may not be typical ... but you just never know up there in the north country .... but I guess I don't need to tell you that ...

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Go for it Ron!
I hunted Indian lake area for years and had such a wonderful time.
I set up camp in lewey lake campgrounds (showers there too)
Very convenient.
You will kill a deer or at least have opportunity and bear are abundant there.
I mostly hunted an old apple orchard along Rt 30 between Indian and Lewey lake. Don't forget your fishing pole!!!
The fishing is terrific. Pike, smallmouth and perch.
Enjoy and good luck!

Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Ron looking at the map. I would say the east side of Indian lake. John Mack Bay looks real good. That or the lower finger just north of Driftwood Mt. Woodland creek or that brother if you want we have a camp just across from Lewey. You wouldn't have to float and could hunt Pine hill back over to the finger on Indian lake.. Pm me and we can set it up..

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Johnny Mack Bay was one of the spots I had picked, Over the mountain on the other side is the Cedar River Flo area, looking at Buck Mt./Buell creek area. Lots of big woods.......

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Ron,  You must let us know where you are going so we can play a prank on you.   ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
:saywhat:  Thanks Charlie.......

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
Well, since you're not new to the backcountry, not much to offer that you probably don't already know. A few thoughts:

-Learn to process at the kill site. I didn't even consider this until I moved out west. I made some hellish drags in my younger days.       :)      

-Be especially head's up when you are using your knife. Especially if you are tired or excited, or distracted.

-Dress right. Cotton kills. Keep your wits about you. I canoed 7 miles into the Adirondacks with a buddy some years ago and we had a cold rain one afternoon. I parked myself under a big deadfall and waited it out. On the hike back to camp, steam was rollin' off my layers of wool and poly. I was bone dry when I got to camp. When I arrived I saw my buddy's sopping wet cotton shirt and sweatshirt hanging outside the tent, a failed fire in the ring, and him in the tent nearly hypothermic. I got the fire going, fed us, and then shared my wool and poly with him for the evening and following day, til the weather cleared. I would go to thrift stores and find "Shetland wool" (reprocessed wool) turtlenecks for cheap. They've been the best, lightest, warmest, undergarment I've owned. Actually too warm for most uses.

-Be aware of when you are at all fatigued. When I notice the first mis-step, I say to myself "You're tiring. Be careful." I say it so that I acknowledge it. You don't need a twisted ankle, or worse.

-And of course, don't go alone unless you know the ropes really well. And let loved ones know where and when.

Lesseee...

-Look for hanger's -dead trees over your tent site.

-Plan for trouble. I once popped a hole in my tent roof during a nasty snow squall wiping water off a broadhead. A piece of duct tape made a quick patch. I carry some wrapped on a short piece of dowel in my "tool kit".

-Pretest ALL gear you haven't used before.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
All good stuff........thanks!

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Bug spray and a head net, good water filter, good rubber boots and a good tent.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Ron, I wouldn't skimp on the sleeping gear-- old bones stiffen up on the ground! I have been having the same thought about a solo trip before it gets too late. Unfortunately, I am having a shoulder replaced on May 2nd (shortest turkey season on record but I have to be recovered by October) so I will have to delay my trip. Good luck and go for it!
Susan

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I live in Tupper Lake.  If I can help out somehow, let me know.
Mike

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
Hi all good luck with your hunt. We have some great country in NY to get away from it all . It was my understanding that it is illegal to bone out a deer in NY , and it has to be brought out in one piece . Good luck , have fun and be safe .

May life's simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
I think you can bone out the animal but need proof of the sex of the critter. I could be wrong...I know many guys that pack out meat that way. Of course that don't mean they are right....LOL!

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
You don't need to go radical with weight savings but some ideas of the backpacking people could be interesting. Try to reduce the weight of the big three, tent, sleeping system and backpack. For you, backpack can be secundary as you are using a canoe.

Spend money in the sleeping system, a thick sleeping pad and a good bag, i would choose a quilt over a mummy design and add some type of waterproof bag for it, you don't want a wet sleeping bag.  You have great tents models to choose, don't go very small.

Think about your cooking system, a good stove and a small pot is all that you need using food as mountain house and cooking in the bags, adding hot water and waiting some minutes. Add other stove, a light one as Esbit or alcohol catstove, as backup.

Sorry for my english

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©