3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year  (Read 955 times)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adirondack Solo Hunt.......on the back burner this year
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Ron, its probably warmer here than it is there, but when we do a similiar hunt by canoe in October,one of our main concerns is what to do with the meat when you do kill one, a solo hunt will mean packing the meat from the kill site to the water then either having ice chests in the truck or in your boat, and that takes up precious room in a canoe. It may not be a concern there though. one place we have hunted is a 26 mile section of river where we have a long days float down river to the truck at the fastest. and going to the truck means the end of the trip, i assume your paddling flat water?
      for sure do the hunt ! im in the same thought process and on my 60th birthday last year,i took a 5 day solo canoe trip which is something i had been putting off for one reason or the other, it was a awesome 5 days. as i get older, i look back on things that i have put off and really wish i hadnt, its not going to be real long before i cant do the back packing and hiking i could a few years ago, so im planning several adventures over the next two years or so to do em while i can...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I hear ya Dave.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
... Any thought on getting ready for this kind of adventure??? This would be early October I think!   :campfire:      :coffee:  
Very cool!

Plan for the worst (weather) and hope for the best, you'll be fine.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I think you can bone out the animal but need proof of the sex of the critter. I could be wrong...I know many guys that pack out meat that way. Of course that don't mean they are right....LOL!
You are right on that.
mike

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »
There are campsites all around Indian Lake and near the Johnny Mack Bay area, and even near the south end of the lake.  They are all part of the Indian Lake Islands state park and campgrounds.  It looks like the campgrounds are open until Columbus Day week end this year.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline mulot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Hey MikeS, I don't see Maggie on your avatar pic.
Well I guess she was taking the photo.

See you soon at the local shoots.

Yves

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by mulot:
Hey MikeS, I don't see Maggie on your avatar pic.
Well I guess she was taking the photo.

See you soon at the local shoots.

Yves
No, that is a picture of Feather.  Looking forward to our paths crossing again!  Say "Hi" to Stan!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Hey Ron,

You want to talk to Scotty Dillon, that area is his playground and he knows it as good as anyone.  I know he spends a ton of time in the winter months tracking big bucks in the snow.  The stories he's told me and the distances he's had to drag out "big deer" is insane!

Good luck......Tim

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Tim, I have done that late season tracking thing myself. Great fun but a lot of hard miles......lol, getting to old for that stuff. That's why I'm going early.   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Thanks Tim ! I spend considerable time in the High Country, and at 53 years young, I feel like I'm 25 and in my prime when I am hunting/tracking there. Sometimes you feel like a dot on the map in the vast  wilderness, but it's rewards are great..now that I have my German Girl sharing my passion, it makes it even better..not too many solo hunts anymore..do they make " DUO HUNTS "???    :D
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
Unless you're totally set on a solo hunt, maybe see if one of the good folks on this site from upstate NY might join you. Nothing better than hunting with others and sharing stories in camp afterwards. And a helping hand is nice too when you need it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Very true and my wife would be more comfortable also......we'll have to see.

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
My dad and I got flown into a remot lake in the mid 80's.  Great hunt, but we where gun hunting and the lake froze in one night making for a long hike out.  No other hunters seen all week and I shot a beautiful 10 pt.  definitely bring a compass and an am radi to listen to the weather.
peter Osimanti

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
I've really enjoyed following this thread.  Lots of good information given!  Remember to take lots of pictures to share with us.  September will be here before you know it!

Bernie

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Hey Ole timer, I here them Susquatch run them thar big woods!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Who you calling Old Timer, How ya doing Jim. Stump shoot this weekend......

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Ron, haven't picked up my bow in quite sometime, stinkin RA! Really kicks my ass sometimes. Is this the Rockwood shoot? BTW spent lots of time camping & yak fishing that area. Hey Scott congrats on your new girlfriend,...she turn 16 yet?   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Yep....Rockwood shoot.

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Very Funny Jim!! haha! remember those nights up in Perkins Clearing in that ol army tent?? ahhh the memories!! and yes, she just turned 17...lol  :D
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Did a 5 hour paddle today......not to bad. If the weather plays fair and my knees don't give out... I may just pull this hunt off.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©