3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: vertical or horizonal or?  (Read 264 times)

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
vertical or horizonal or?
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Went stumpin today plus some scouting and shed hunting. I took some new arrows I just made and mounted the broad head horizonal. Its a Stos 160. Flew a foot high at 20 yds. Better off to go vertical mount or?

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: vertical or horizonal or?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
When I had my arrows cut to come almost back to the shelf I liked them vertical,but I now have them longer and don't really care how they end up on there. I don't think it should have affected how you arrow flew though.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Been mounting mine horizontal for many many years, with fewer issues than vertical.  I feel less potential for deflection due to air resistance, and less visual "interference" by having the blade up in my line of sight.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I like mine horizontal.  Like the above post, mainly to keep it out of my line of sight.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I make sure my arrow spin true once the stos is glued on. I don't care how they end up vertical or horizontal.  I find no difference in how they shoot.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
I do mine at an angle so that when canted at full draw, they are horizontal. It has nothing to do with flight characteristics or tuning, but rather just so my sight picture is the same every time I pull the string back.

Sounds like you may have a tuning issue to deal with, maybe???

Bisch

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Might be a tune issue Bisch. Its a new bow to me and I just started making arrows. These are my first set. I ordered 65-70 lb spine ash shafts. Didnt notice till later that that was for a 125 gr.point. Im shooting 70lbs and according to a website I looked at I should have bought 80-85 with a 160 tip.  I may have to buy Alum shafts but really wanted to shoot wood for this season. 3 Rivers is out of 80lb ash shafts as of last week. Maybe some Doug Fir?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
Doug Fir is an excellent choice for wood shafts. There are some sponsors here that may have what you are looking for who will get you what you need.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Horizontal. Vertical is just weird.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I mount mine horizontal as well. Don't like vertical as I see the top blade

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I mount mine with the top blade at about the 2:00 position.  This hides the blades behind the riser and the sight picture looks the same as when I shoot field tips.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
I mount mine on a 45* angle so the blades are out of my sight picture. This also allows the back of the broadhead to contact a knuckle on my drawing hand, which I use as a draw check.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Horizontal, as I figure that way they are slicing through the wobbles of paradox recovery rather than swimming side to side like a fish.

No idea if it truly makes any difference; but with anything that shoots consistancy is the first step to accuracy.

It does allow for easier fletching clearance when putting them in a bow quiver.  You can alternate the cock feather easily if it's always in the same relationship with the two-blade heads.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I do mine at an angle so that when canted at full draw, they are horizontal. It has nothing to do with flight characteristics or tuning, but rather just so my sight picture is the same every time I pull the string back.

Bisch
Same...mine are horizontal when I'm at full draw with my NORMAL cant.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Bisch
3X on this one

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
When I did a bunch of internet searches last year and spoke with old timers I know I came to the conclusion that there was no single, big advantage which anyone could point to regarding Horizontal vs. Vertical.

I shoot with my BH's horizontal as it feels more natural to me.  (Sight Picture)

Others mileage may vary...

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Fred Bear did verticle however he was in the business to sell Razorheads and he wanted you to get a good look at them at full draw.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
To each his own, I'd try them both ways and see which you shoot better with.  I prefer them oriented vertically coinciding with my slight cant(1:00 to 7:00), as I'm less prone to pick up anything in my peripheral vision with the possible exception of the ferrule, which isn't much different in perceived length than the long field points I shoot. I happen to believe that most folks are very aware of the end of the arrow in their peripheral site picture, although no truly "instinctive" shooter would ever admit to such blasphemy, lol!  I would think horizontal would subconsciously make the arrow look two inches longer.  Just my 2 cents!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©