3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting Age suggestions  (Read 312 times)

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Starting Age suggestions
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
When did some of you start your kids out shooting? I have a 2.5 year old son and want to get him a starter recurve. I looked at one today at Bass pro. Also thought about making one out of a hickory sapling. Any starter bow suggestions?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting Age suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Black Rhino.   www.bows.net
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
I was 6 when I received my 1st longbow.  Both of my boys were 3 when they each received their first longbow.  

Even getting a piece of PVC and a string with some dowels and foam on the end is all it takes to get kids motivated.  Make it fun and interesting.  Leave the all the form and precision till later.  Let them be kids that have a good time with dad shooting bows.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
I like Maddog bows a lot. I think a piece of PVC and some 1/4" dowels would be a good start though.
Live and let live.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I started my nephew and his best friend at age 3 with PVC. Moved up to a maddog pup at age 4.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I am thinking 2.5 is too young, ,  not to shoot, or be with you out there doing it, but for a costly bow.  

Build him one of rattan or of PVC and he will love it like it is gold.  When he gets a bit bigger and stronger,  well, buy him a real bow.

Remember, with heat, you can reshape the PVC so it has a better hand grip and slightly flattened limbs.

chuckc

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Started my daughter out on a black rhino at 2, she is three now doesn't shoot much but whenever she wants to shoot she has fun doing it, dad just needs to refletch her arrows they "are not even pink".
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
I didnt start my daughter out shooting until she asked at about age 6 to shoot with me so I picked up a little 36" fiberglass bow that drew about 15# and then bought longer/heavier bows as she grew......fast forward 20 yrs and a dozen bows she still goes to shoots with me............the thing is to just let them shoot and enjoy it and just slowly guide them and corect their form. Ive seen too many dads at shoots constantly correcting their childs shooting that you can see in the kids eyes that its no fun anymore...........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Gunnar01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I started my boy at 3 with a cheapo fiberglass bow. Later, (about a year) i bought him a custom longbow. This was relatively cheap also. 18# @20 in. Hes almost 7 now and has passed it down to his sister. My biggest mistake was placing 50-50% fun with form. With his sis I've been ALOT less critical about form and more about the fun of shooting.
##-----> (O)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
My son started shooting at 4. He was shooting 3D with me at 5. State champion at 8 in the 12 and under age (Indiana Bowhunter Round-Up).

My grandson was shooting at 3.5. I'll have another grandson shooting in May at 3 years. He is already very interested.

Of course these are highly supervised experienced.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
For each of my four kids I made a red oak board bow as their starter bow.  Super easy.  Went to Home Depot, picked up a board (the ones I use are individually wrapped in plastic, 48" long, about 2" wide and maybe 1/4" thick), and a piece of oak 2x2.  Used titebond III to glue a handle section and tip overlays, then cut out pyramid shaped limbs, no tillering needed.  Let them paint it before I sprayed with poly and done.
Cheap, easy and perfect for them.  Started them all before they were three.
I let them carry it around the house strung (no arrows of course) and they would "hunt" their imaginary animals or the heads on the walls!  "Arm straight and pull to the cheek" is the mantra we say and they repeat.  
Best part is that if they break one, no big deal, we just make another.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Started my son at 5, my daughter at 8 and grandkids at 4 and up. For my grandkids I had a 20#@24" Bear Little Bear. For my own kids I had a Howatt similar to the Little Bear.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Here's a picture of my daughter. She was probably 3.5 years old at the time.  At the age you're talking, you'll probably have to 'assist' with the shooting.  Be patient and don't push it. In this picture, we were using a little bamboo backed wood bow that was probably 8-10# max with little 1/4" arrows that flew like darts. Make sure the nocks fit 'snug' and double serve the nock point to hold the arrow in place. On the intermediate age bows 5-10 years old, I'd suggest using the rubber string fingers. Keeps their fingers comfortable, keeps the arrow in place and the don't struggle with glove or tab fit and arrow rolling off the shelf.  At age 11/12 my girls switched to leather shooting gloves.  

[/url] [/IMG]
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
I'd start when they show an interest.  My son started when he was barely 2.  Got him a toy bow that shot foam "arrows".  He broke it (overdrew--he was always a big kid) within a week or so so I got him a little osage selfbow from a friend.  He then progressed to laminated bows.

He's 19 now, doesn't shoot much these days (more concerned with girls, trucks, girls, college, girls...did I mention girls?) but hopefully he'll get back into it eventually.

Offline GW14

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
I just took my 5 year old son shooting for the first time today. I recently just got back into archery and when I told him I was getting a bow he wanted one too. I got him a Bear 1st shot from 3 Rivers. It is a 9.5# fiberglass and it came with two arrows, quiver, tab, and an arm guard. You can't beat that for $20.
I did want him to have as much fun as possible so instead of shooting at a target in the back yard we went stump shooting. We walked around the farm for about an hour and a half, two hours and he had a blast. I corrected his form alittle but didn't push him much. When we got back he stiil wanted to shoot so we put some in a target. Great day!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Gwyn started around 4, but Greta is 6 and I am still not ready to start her.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
Shooting a bow as young as they could hold one.  Hunting, now thats another matter and not before 10 or so.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©