3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACCEPTANCE (First deer)  (Read 581 times)

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
ACCEPTANCE (First deer)
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
ACCEPTANCE

“A me piace andare a caccia al cervo con l’arco e freccia”

“Is that right?”

I seem to ask this question a lot to my soon to be Australian/Italian bride. The answer to my question was, “yes, I know you like hunting deer with your bow and arrow”.
My Italian vocabulary seems to centre around hunting and food; I have a love for both, as one is the product of the other.

As I sat there at the dining table looking at the centre of each plate and the lean pieces of venison that were being savoured by these non hunting people, I raised another piece of meat to my mouth and felt its texture and the unique flavour. As I chewed, my memory drifted back to where this meat had come from and how it had made its way on to my plate. I thought how beast and man had met in time, how two worlds separate to many modern people had been linked together by an object; an arrow crafted by one to take the life of another. How it had served its purpose through the persistence of practice and the ingraining of form.

Sitting there recollecting, I realised that I owe that deer to those exact things, ingrained form. For as I stalked that young bedded Rusa deer, he was unawares to my presence and my intensions. The smell of the damp grass being pushed towards me by the steady wind confirmed what my eyes were seeing was real. I was 20m from a deer, but not just a deer, it was a culmination of many things, dreams, goals, maybe even fate. All these things had brought me to this point and it was now time to see what the outcome would hold for me.

I raised my bow into the vertical position and eased out from behind the bush that separated our lives, as it was time for us to cross paths on this mortal coil. As I drew, he still wasn’t aware that it was time for us to meet and as my introduction of carbon and steel parted the air above his back, he jolted to his feet and made a little distance before looking back to enquire who this stranger was seeking acceptance into his life.

But this was to be the error of his ways for I had a different idea on how this encounter was to end and the sound of my second arrow punching through his diaphragm, through one lung and into his spine, again confirmed what my eyes were seeing. He dropped on the spot due to that second arrow, a second arrow that came without any hesitance, just ingrained form and process. I can’t recall any conscious thought from the loading of the arrow to the release, and this is what realised my dream.

Another arrow was quickly dispatched and took him from 15m through the chest, entering from the last rib and pushing into the dirt through his brisket bringing our paths together to run parallel and committing us both to the journey ahead.

Although this journey was to involve us both, it was my turn to honour this animal and make his death worthwhile, for I have dreamt of retrieving my bow shot game and going through the hardship to transport it from his world into the modern world we live in today.

Little did I know that by carrying this deer out, if only for a short distance, I would not only be carrying out bone flesh hide and memories, but a product of what I love that would bring together the people in my life in such a positive way.

The memories of that hunt etched in my mind for evermore have been embellished
By the addition of the post hunt scenes, which comprised of watching my soon to be wife slowly work my drop point knife down the leg of my first bow shot deer, taking the upmost care not to ruin my prize, as she knew how long I’d dreamt of taking a deer with my longbow.

As she slowly separated hide from flesh, I marvelled at how lucky I was to find a girl like this and at how determined and elated she was at the thorough job she was doing skinning and butchering her first deer.

Content with the realisation and the memories of this deer and its transition from fauna to food, I continued on with another piece of the bounty it had provided for me and the people dear to me, with a quick glance up I received a smile and a nod from the people around me and I knew that what I’d done had been appreciated.

Since my last article, I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the best bowhunter’s Australia has to offer and I have been in awe of there achievements, not just as hunters, but as genuine people.

They have inspired me in so many ways and increased my passion for bowhunting through stories and information, freely given to appreciative ears.

After being here for nearly 3 years now, I have fortunately made some good friends of whom I’ve hunted with and hope to enjoy more hunts with in the future. And I would like to thank them for the knowledge they’ve been so forthcoming with and their acceptance of a hunter that is passionate about bows and arrows.
Cheers
Mark.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACCEPTANCE (First deer)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
That's twice the luck!! Deer and dear congrats on both. Way to go!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
Hey,

That's a great tale and well narrated! At first I thought "why is this post in Italian?     :D   "
Then I read  a few more lines and the penny dropped...

Congratulations for both the deer and the coming soon wedding.

Thanks for sharing, loved the pictures too    :)  

Max
Life is short, play hard

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
That's some killer stuff man.  :thumbsup:
Live and let live.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
Congrats on the marriage too. It is a wonderful thing.
Live and let live.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
Very well written story, well done, sir! Congrats, you are a very blessed man.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:00 AM »
You better marry a woman that skins your critters.

Love the writing and I wish you and yours the best.

It is easy to see through your writing how much passion you have for hunting. As much as I love it, I have never known what it's like to not have hunting litterally at my fingertips. I am spoiled. Thanks for the breath of fresh air and reminder to not take it for granted.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
Congrats good story!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Great story Mark! Congrats on all of your accomplishments.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
still one of the best pieces of writing i've had the pleasure of reading.
your lucky to be able to express your thoughts and emotions in such a way. i wish to write in the same manner on my own experiences but the words fail to come to me.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on the Deer.

I am sure you will have many more adventures with that fine young lady at your side, best of luck to you both...!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Congrats on your deer Mark,, Very well written story.

Best wishes on your wedding.     :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
Wow....great story and very well written. Thanks for that! Congrats on both relationships!!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Awesome read - thanks for sharing!   :thumbsup:

Online Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
Well written story, congrats on the succesful hunt and choice in companionship. May you share many more successful hunts together.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Fantastic all the way around Brother! And you are now truly a Brother of the bow!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Congrats! Great story!

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Absolutely awesome read!

And congrats on your first deer (of many I am sure)!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©