3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting from the Ground  (Read 716 times)

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shooting from the Ground
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
I hunted from the ground most of last year and had to stick with a short (52") recurve to do it. I don't like carrying a folding seat and just use a pad that provides no elevation for limb clearance.

Does anyone have any suggestions or techniques they use to shoot a longer bow with the same setup? I have a 62" longbow I'd like to hunt with this season but can't get it to work from the seated position. Suggestions?

Thanks.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting from the Ground
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Sometimes I practice shooting from the ground, seated, with my legs straight out in front of me. I lay the bow almost completely over on its side. I can actually shoot pretty well from that position. Other than that, I'm not sure. Maybe sit in such a way that you can get to your knees easily    :dunno:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I bowhunt from the ground all the time. Use my 58" longbow and 60" recurve. Whenever possible, the Torges seat can be setup for any height, depending on my natural blinds. However, I always slip off to a kneeling position to make my shots.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Thanks. I have a Torges seat and was actually going to give it a try. Just trying to keep what I carry to a minimum.

I can shoot my 58" recurve from sitting but usually plant the lower limb tip in the ground. I can't seem to make anything longer work with any consistency.

I know part of the issue is the way I shoot keeps the bow pretty much straight up and down. I've tried canting it but accuracy suffers. Thanks for the input.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Why can't you shoot a 62" long bow from a setting position? Most guys i know can shoot a 68" long bow off of their knees just fine... You need to practice shooting with a cant to your bow brutha...it opens up a whole new world of opportunities hunting from the ground.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I have two knees that are bad - doesn't leave many good ones   :)  

I have really learned to like my hammock seat. I can swing it quite a bit to either side for shooting. The height can be adjusted from sitting nearly on the ground to a higher position that leaves the knees just slightly bent. 'Course you do need a tree, but they have quite a few of them where I hunt.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Kirkll,

Shooting from a seat or the knees with a 62" longbow, no problem.

Flat on the ground is a different story. I hunt seated on a seat pad with my back against a tree. Doesn't leave a lot of limb clearance. Still trying to figure out shooting with a cant without planting the lower limb in the ground. Not the style I'm used to.

I know. Change styles. Sigh.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
You need to bend at the waist and cant that bow over at the same time.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
cant if you can, if you can't cant and don't want to carry a seat, look for a cedar or other bushy tree that you can back into. I used to hunt standing next to a xmas tree like pine that had been hit by lightning on one side. deer never saw me there.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Improvise, adapt, and overcome. You need to can't the bow period. I practiced once shooting off of my knees through a small hole in the bush at a target above me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
As a bow hunter I believe I should practice shooting from every imaginable position that the field might throw my way. I want to be proficient shooting from angles that might be a little out of the comfort zone. We just never know what kind of situation we are going to find ourselves in. I also practice several different draw techniques and rhythyms.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I use to use one if those turkey hunting seat that are about 6" off the ground, until I broke it.  I'm aiming on getting another one. It may work for you as well.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by jcp161:
Kirkll,

Shooting from a seat or the knees with a 62" longbow, no problem.

Flat on the ground is a different story. I hunt seated on a seat pad with my back against a tree. Doesn't leave a lot of limb clearance. Still trying to figure out shooting with a cant without planting the lower limb in the ground. Not the style I'm used to.

I know. Change styles. Sigh.
I think i'd have problems sitting right on the ground like that myself. Besides that me bum gets cold sitting on the ground like that.....   :saywhat:

I'd find one of those light weight tri pod chairs that you can slip in your pack bro. That's what i carry for an evening set.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Try a Niff-T-Seat.  Small, light, self-contained, adjustable in height-5", 11", 16", 21".  No tree needed, pivots easily.  I love mine.  I can almost carry it in a cargo pants pocket.

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
That looks pretty interesting....and lightweight.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
I remember looking at these seats awhile ago. So popular you couldn't get one to save your life. I thought I read that the business took a hit during one of the big storms or went out of business altogether.

Are they still available?

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
They have a website, but don't know if it's active.  There are comments left, but none after 2012.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
I know the tree hammock was already suggested, and though I haven't tried it yet myself, the guys I know who use them really like them. I'm planning on getting one before deer season.
 I do agree with everyone who says to shoot with your bow canted. I can shoot my 68" bow sitting on the ground cross legged.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Skunkhound,

I'd like to see a picture of that. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks.

John

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
try "the hunters seat"
Have to use a tree
But it looks like quick and easy set up
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©