3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting from the Ground  (Read 717 times)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting from the Ground
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by jcp161:
I remember looking at these seats awhile ago. So popular you couldn't get one to save your life. I thought I read that the business took a hit during one of the big storms or went out of business altogether.

Are they still available?
Just received an email reply to a question I sent them so something must be going on!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I cant my bow a lot and either kneel or find some uneven ground and sit on my rear end. My bow is 62" and seem to be able to get it done, maybe because I have a very long upper body.  Have you tried standing, I use but seem to get tired quickly, but know others that can do it all day.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Practice sitting with your bow canted nearly 90 degrees.  The Indonesians have been hunting/shooting like that for nearly 2000 years:

[/url] [/IMG]

These guys are "just" target shooting at about 50 yards at an Acorn Squash-sized target.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Niffty seat x 2 and never have look back !
Also practice, practice practice, shooting in all positions, you'll get better !

You can also dig a hole with a shovel, just deep enough to hang your legs into while sitting at ground level, very effective way to not be seen.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
I have been known to mainly use the Torges style seat. I have also used just a pad as well. I hunt with a 70" long bow, and have no trouble getting shots off at deer.
My advice is practice often from a position in which you hunt, such as sitting.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I use a walk stool ..it is swedish design ..you can sit high or low ...the low position your knees touch the ground but the chair takes the weight..they are $50 but to me worth it as kneeling is getting hardere to do for long periods.....here is the link...when folded fits in a backpack easy...

http://www.walkstool.com/

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Selfbow19953

How large is the seat it'self? Is it comfortable for sitting say 2 hours at a time?  It looks like it might be a very interesting seat & one you would take with you.

I use a Double Bull tri seat stool they market for their blinds & carry it almost everywhere, but it does kind of clank into things. It is comfortable though as it has a back.
Thanks
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I should have added  that it is the walk stool basic.....with the legs retracted the seat is a triangle and the legs all come together and you sit sbout 10 inches off the ground and you can pivot any direction and the weight on your knees is not noticable....great for when you are likely to sit in different locations throughout the day and want to stay low...if you want to sit high or in a ground blind then you set the legs up

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Frank,

The seat measures 12" by 8".  Two hours is about the longest I've sat in it.  I carry it when I'm scouting/stillhunting to hunt a good looking spot.  After a hour or a little more, if I haven't seen anything, I move on.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by trubltrubl:
I use a walk stool ..it is swedish design ..you can sit high or low ...the low position your knees touch the ground but the chair takes the weight..they are $50 but to me worth it as kneeling is getting hardere to do for long periods.....here is the link...when folded fits in a backpack easy...

http://www.walkstool.com/  
Hi,
Have you ever tried it on mud/very soft terrain? How does it do?

Thanks,
Max
Life is short, play hard

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Good question on the walkstool. How is it in soft terrain?

Those of you shooting a canted bow, how do you maintain consistency in anchor and draw length?

Are you bending at the waist and keeping everything the same as when standing or shooting instinctive and just figuring it out as you go?

My shooting style depends a lot on form. I'm not sure if I can adjust it enough to keep it and maintain consistency when shooting that way.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
I almost never shoot with a straight up and down bow, but, I do practice that shot.  My face has to be at the same angle as my bow. I can't keep my head erect and cant my bow. My head, shoulders, and bow arm follow my bow-from vertical to horizontal.

I practice with my bow parallel to the ground, whether I'm standing, sitting, kneeling-on the ground or in a stand.  2 years ago, I shot at a fox that was 20 feet away.  I was on my knees, my chest was maybe a foot off the ground and my bow flat.  He got a haircut because I didn't pick a spot!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
Frank,

The seat measures 12" by 8".  Two hours is about the longest I've sat in it.  I carry it when I'm scouting/stillhunting to hunt a good looking spot.  After a hour or a little more, if I haven't seen anything, I move on.
Thanks if does look like a pretty portable seat, much more compact than mine. I looked at the web site yesterday & I could navigate it so it's not locked. I didn't try to order so dont' know how active it is,

I shoot a Howard Hill Big5 that's 66", I've shot it from my stool & from kneeling without any trouble. Haven't tried if sitting on my hind end on the ground. I may & report back well as soon as the frost clears off the lawn!!!!!!
   Spring here in S.W. Montana & woke up to 15 degrees, the sun is out though, so it is spring.   :archer2:

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Just for kicks & giggles & to see if I could do it I sat on the ground tonight & shot my Howard Hill a 66" Big5.
  The lower limb tip hit the ground & my arrow went really low 10" low from 16 yds.    :scared:    I shot another arrow, but was probably concentrating more on not hitting the ground than picking a spot, this arrow went several inches high.
Maybe more practice???? However I'm not one for getting right on the ground it limits my mobility & ability to shoot from different positions. I might practice a bit more??? But I'm not a great fan of being so low & restricted.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I don't find being that low restricting. I like being so low because the deer are less suspecting. Also, when stalking, you may find you are down low trying to get into that close shot. You just need to learn to shoot more horizontal.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Frank V, welcome to my world. I tried an extreme cant on my longbow after reading some of the suggestions on this thread. I had similar results to yours and wiped the mud and grass off my lower limb tip.

If Terry Green can shoot laying on the ground in the Tradgang video, I should be able to get a handle on this.

But if I don't, it's nice to have my Lil Hoots. It shoots just as well and is ten inches shorter. :)
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
jcp161

I'm going to try shooting more horizontal. Heck I just may have to shoot under a limb anyway & one of the nice things about a LB or recurve is you can cant it.

I always cant my bow, but need to learn to cant it more.   ;)  
I'll report back on my trys.   :scared:

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Frank V.

I'll look forward to the report.

I worked on it a little bit more yesterday but I think I need to learn to get the inside of my fore arm out of the way.

I may need to go back to wearing my arm guard.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
 I hope this is helpful.
Thanks.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground all the time with a 64" longbow-no problems. Practice shooting from seat or log, standing, bushes in the way; everything you can think of all angles including negative ones.
Look for Terry's Form Clock.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©