3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting from the Ground  (Read 718 times)

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting from the Ground
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
I also shot some sitting down this evening. Something to keep in mind: while shooting tonight I was wearing a hoodie, and the armpit area of it was getting into the string pretty heavy.

Offline Steven E Milbocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »
I shoot with a vertical bow and have no trouble shooting a 64" recurve sitting or kneeling.

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
Try a Niff-T-Seat.  Small, light, self-contained, adjustable in height-5", 11", 16", 21".  No tree needed, pivots easily.  I love mine.  I can almost carry it in a cargo pants pocket.

My favorite seat....and sadly, I am pretty sure when the current stock is gone, they are gone.

I personally don't like sitting "butt on the ground". I can shoot ok, but I seem to make a LOT of movement in getting ready for the shot. By sitting even just slightly elevated, like on a short Nif T Seat, I am sitting in a more "ready" position.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by shed hunter:
I use to use one if those turkey hunting seat that are about 6" off the ground, until I broke it.  I'm aiming on getting another one. It may work for you as well.
I would like to hear about these.....they look durable, easy to carry.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I use a Walmart stretchy belt with my Nifty seat on my draw arm side.  The belt goes over the folded seat, then inside the seat frame, then back and around the peg to hold it flat.  This holds it firm and horizontal to my side, assembled.  I carry mine, even when I plan on still hunting.  One never knows when plans need changing, or just when a dry place to sit for a spell.  I use the longer leg length version.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 07:22:00 AM »
How long can you guys who use them actually sit comfortably on a nifty seat? Any problems with shifting?

I'd probably put it next to a tree, fall asleep and fall off of it right when a deer shows up. At least it wouldn't be far to fall.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by jcp161:
How long can you guys who use them actually sit comfortably on a nifty seat? Any problems with shifting?

I'd probably put it next to a tree, fall asleep and fall off of it right when a deer shows up. At least it wouldn't be far to fall.
:D    :D    :D
Sounds like somethig I'd do!!!   :scared:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was injured by a rough knuckle head of a chiropractor.  I could still shoot but was very stiff and clumsy, I absolutely needed to be braced against a tree with my Nifty seat.  Wouldn't you know, a nice eight pointer came in from the wrong way.  When I spun I lost my back rest.  At 15 yards I attempted to shoot, instantly lost my balance as I reached anchor.  I attempted to dump the arrow away from the deer as I was falling, but still clipped a tine.  I still use the Nifty seat when I am not sure I will end up, but I am more careful about placement and my balance.  When I use tree clusters, I use a Gorilla strap on, and when I hunt brush, or have my Bush in a Bag, or junipers, I use my Huntmore.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Roger,

I just received my "back-up" Nif-T-Seat from RPM.  Don't know how many more/how long they'll be available, so just in case......
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
Can you post the RPM info or PM me with it?

I've used milk crates in the past on property where I could leave them without an issue. That won't work in the National Forest.

Pavan, I made a seat one time from a failed Torges seat experiment. I set it up so it would take a short dowel that had a metal spike inserted. The dowel held the seat about 8 inches off the ground with the spike holding the seat in place by being inserted into the ground and using a tree as a backrest. That's how it was supposed to work in theory.

In reality, it worked like your Nif-T seat after rough chiropractic treatment.

And that's why I hunt from a seat pad on the ground...
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
I have several butt pads that I clip to my belt.  A log on a hill side is more comfortable with a bit of padding.  I can shoot any length of bow sitting on a hillside with my back against a support, as long as I am shooting down hill or forward with the bottom limb on the down hill side.  A simple pad makes this much more comfortable, if there is not a flat spot for me bum, I make one.  
   I tried short bows and sitting on the ground.  I cannot shoot short bows good enough to trust myself with them.

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
I think I just had an Aha moment.

I honestly never consciously thought about picking a spot to sit where I could use the terrain to my advantage and accommodate the bow length. Plenty of hills where I hunt too that could make it work.

Checked the Nif-T seat site. Can't, or won't, do $87 for a seat. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
I'd say your hunting seat is one of your most important pieces of equipment. I've been hunting from the ground now for about 10 years out of 30. I've amassed an assortment of seats. Home made wooden nifty seat, small metal folding camp chair, Waldrop PAC seat, Torges seat, small folding plastic foot stool. All of which position me sitting from 11 to 16 inches off the ground. In all cases I use my 60 inch recurve. I cant my bow to about the one or two o'clock position. Same thing from the kneeling position. I usually have very little issue with clearance. In some cases I actually shoot better from a kneeling and shooting position. Not really sure why. I also practice from a shooting and kneeling position regularly. Almost as much as from a standing position.

A seat for a ground hunter is as important as a tree stand is to a tree dweller. You need to seat comfortably and silently for hours on stand. Don't take them too lightly.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©