3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas pig adventure first! Hope on board! (Updated pg.4)  (Read 1091 times)

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas pig adventure first! Hope on board! (Updated pg.4)
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
During lunch,it was nice to sit around and become acquainted with one another. Overall, the weather had pig sightings far and few between. We sat around and talked about the mornings hunt and made plans of where to go for the evenings. Mark and Stephanie would hunt close to the house, me and J.D. up to the north end and the rest of the group was headed to the far south end of the ranch (approximately 30,000 acres north of Hamlin). If you look at the earlier photo where you can see the front end of the truck and the road is dug up,that is where we are heading.

Jay had already corned the road we would be hunting, named road 1. It is a stretch of road that is about a quarter mile long, with about 300 yards of it bordered by trees and open grassy areas on either ends. The pigs come off the river and head in land and use this area as a travel corridor so it is a good place for the evenings. We spotted a small sow with some piglets on the road already when we pulled up. We didn't know how long they had been eating on the corn so we ran them off and re-corned it. Me and J.D. then set back about 200 yards from the trees and watched down the road. Being the spot and stalk can't sit still western types, we watched the road for about and hour then decided to walk down to the river.

It was neat along the river. The pigs had the grass smashed/mowed down to nothing and you could see where they got up against the banks to keep warm. After a short look around for hogs and arrow heads,we headed back to watch the road.

After a short wait, the hogs finally reappeared. The small sow with the piglets were the first to show back up. We watched them for about 30 minutes while they ate up the corn. Then two larger single pigs showed up, a calico and a dark pig. The sow moved off and we moved up. We slipped up to where we thought was a good position. Some deer that had moved into the lane saw us and spooked. We thought the jig was up but saw the calico moving towards us. We hunkered down behind a juniper against some mesquite. We could hear the pig eating just ahead of us and watched him thru the brush. Finally he started our way and we both drew back at the same time. The pig caught the movement and was gone much faster than I thought they could move! Argh! You hear a lot about how poor their eyesight is. While this may be true at longer ranges, with 50 yards the can see quite well! Especially movement but I think they see patterns and  possibly colors as well. I learned a lot
of respect for this!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
Dejectedly, we headed back for the truck as it was getting dark. Sometimes, I can be harder on myself than anyone else can and I was laying a butt whipping down on myself at this point as I should have been drawn back before he came out of the brush. The dang thing was only ten yards away for cripes sake! As we walked back to the truck, the calico reappears! I turn and head back for the hog, this fight ain't over yet! But he was gone by the time I got back and was getting to dark anyways so we hoped in the truck and headed back for the ranch house. While frustrating, the first day had plenty of action and adventure.

Always something to learn:
1. A strong, steady wind to cover noise for these pigs is a blessing.
2. Listen to your guides, they know what they are doing on where they put you and try hard to help.
3. These pigs can see quite well in stickbow range.
4. We know their hang outs....
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
Bedtime. More to come tomorrow evening, I promise!
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
That first night it stayed cold out, but inside it was great to sit around and talk to others around some adult beverages. Me and J.D. felt thankful that we had seen pigs as some others in the group had not and we had high hopes in the morning for returning to see if the pigs were back in their morning beds.

I will say this, it was nice to just wake up when you felt like it and not have to exhaust yourself getting up at dark-thirty to chase animals. Usually the sun was my alarm clock and when it started to light up, I would wake up, which was great to let your body dictate the pace! That's vacation! After breakfast, we were out a bit earlier as we were a little better prepared for the day. We headed back to the south draw that lead to the canyon as the wind was still out of the north, so we would work west down the draw and then north once we reached the edge of the canyon.

We hustled thru a better portion to the "honey hole" with more sign from the day before. Finding the familiar short side draw, we eased up to the lip of the flat. We split up about 30 yards apart or so and moved like molasses forward, taking a few steps and looking. I kept reminding myself "White man walk lot, see little, Indian walk little, see lot" to direct my pace. Having a hunting partner who is in tune with you and you can communicate and work as a true team is a very pleasing thing. After about 60 yards we caught movement ahead. A brown hog and blonde hog were up and shifting positions. J.D. moved forward as he had a hole and I tried to sneak around to the left. Keep in mind at this time we are in a dense stand of junipers. I get around the left side and have the blonde hog broadside and half bedded at about 25 yards.....behind a mesquite bush. The hogs can sense something is up and I ready for their escape. The brown one is the first to make a move and starts to head away from me and towards J.D.'s hole in the brush. I hear a dull thump, followed by a louder thump and a squeal!!! Suddenly the bush 10 feet in front of me explodes and hogs go everywhere!!!
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Keep it coming Charley!

Bisch

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
I notice the juniper 10 feet in front of me is full of piglets about the size of a football and a big black sow has run out the other side and has only gone about forty yards and stopped. She is making it abundantly clear that she is none too happy! I can also hear what sounds like a moan coming from about a hundred yards away in the direction that the two other hogs went that I am pretty sure is wearing on of J.D.'s arrows. I signal for him that we should back out and J.D. acknowledges he is thinking the same thing. We marked the area with tape as we backed out. Since the wind is still strong in our favor and we are pretty sure the rest don't know what happened we only went a short ways to take a break. The black sow stayed around for about five minutes as we could hear her un-pleasantries about he situation continue. We decided to go at least see the main body of the canyon as we had yet to make it that far! We also chewed up some time taking photos.

J.D.'s Black Canyon

A view of part of the canyon. You can see some of the mesas off in the distance from here. For the terrain, they are significant.

We had been watching the clock and talking about the shot. J.D. stated the the sow was moving left to right and he shot as she cleared the juniper in front of him and though it was a steep quartering away shot it looked good and penetrated well. We headed back to the scene of the crime.......
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Upon arriving back at the it took us a minute to get our bearings right as the sun had changed the shadows. We figured on the spot of the hit by going back to where we were standing. Unfortunately, we found no blood. We started to move off in the direction we saw the pig flee...5 yards no blood....10 yards same...20 yards no dice....so we split up again about  20 yards apart moving on parallel trails heading in the directions of the moaning we heard. We traveled about 100 yards when I heard a triumphant war whoop from J.D.! First hog down! We stopped and said a prayer to The Almighty and started to commence on the picture taking.

No wonder we did not see any blood as the hole had filled with intestines. The Simmons Interceptor on the Full Metal Jacket shaft had penetrated well. We would find out later that the only reason the arrow had stopped was hitting the off side shoulder bone.

Another view.

The mighty white hunter!

We drug the pig about 400 yards to a feeder nearby as we knew a trail lead in as well. I told J.D. to stay and admire his hog and I would go the rest of the way for the truck. I got the truck which was closer to a mile away than the half mile I thought and returned back for J.D. .
After returning back to the ranch house, we took a few more photos.

This hog hunting learning curve was quickly being shortened up! Congrats again brother!
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »
:clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
:clapper:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
After taking care of the pig, we grabbed some lunch, conversed with the rest of the group and made plans for the afternoon/evening hunt. Jay told us of a feeder near road 1 where we hunted the evening before and suggested one of us sit there as it had been getting hit and the other go back to road 1. If your seeing pigs, stay on 'em. J.D. was gracious enough to let me take road 1 while he hunted the feeder.

I was in position on the end of road 1 hoping for redemption with the pigs from the previous evening. First on deck was the same sow as the night before with the piglets. I was still uninterested in her (though J.D. reminded me about the "don't pass today what you would be happy with at the end of the hunt" rule). I figured soon enough more pigs would show. luckily I was right as another sow about the same size as the momma came out onto the road. Game on! With that, I got the wind in my favor and moved forward. They were feeding away from me so I went to the fence on the back side of the trees about 70 yards from the road. I moved down to where I figured I was ahead of the pigs. Again, my luck panned out and I was in position. They were about 60 yards down the road and heading my way. I found a spot where I would have cover behind me and a hole in the brush to shoot thru. Amazingly, I was excited but my nerves were good. I remembered to breath thru my nose, out thru the mouth and kept telling myself "pick a spot, anchor, pull thru the shot" (my routine). The noisy little pigs slowly worked their way towards me. I identified the dry sow and focused on her as they came into the lane. I picked my spot, drew, anchored......
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
A couple of picks from before J.D. shot his hog in the morning.

My ugly mug!

As you can see, warm it was not!
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
This is great!  I'm headed to the same ranch at the end of this month...can't wait!!
justin ammons

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
looks like a great hunt !

Congrats..

Offline bullcalf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 04:09:00 AM »
Charley, you've got me on the edge of my seat, Pard.  What a great hunt with a great hunting partner.  Keep a goin'
"evil prospers when good folks do nothing"
Black Canyon T/D - Griffin L/B - Bighorn Ram Hunter - Great Plains
Bear Grayling, etc.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 05:48:00 AM »
wow!!! this is way cool awesome!!! congrats guys and keep it coming. I'm off to bed
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
Nice hog. Id love to hunt Texas again. Keep it coming.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
One of the hunts I want to do someday. Great read. Keep it up!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Gonna be a short post tonight, where was I.....oh yes....drew, anchored annnnddd......committed one of the worst sins for instinctive shooting, thought about the shot and adjusted. Looked high, thought "hold a little lower" ....and shot right under her chest!! AArrgggghhhh!!! You have to be kidding me! I know better! Did the same thing to a opening morning hunt on a bull caribou!! Not again! The pigs were out of there in a blaze of glory. These pigs mind you get chased hard on this road because it is a great spot but had been hunted for a couple of months and have played the game. Dejectedly but very excitedly went and collected my arrow and proceeded to head back towards the truck.

Along the way thru a hole in the brush I spotted the calico! Game on! Funny how fast my spirits lifted, something to be said about a target rich environment. The hog at this point was heading towards the truck as well so I tried to move in front of him to cut him off but he caught movement thru the brush as I closed in on the road.Remembering that he soon returned to the road the night before, I backed off and waited. Soon enough, he came back on the road on the end where I had just shot at the sow and heading that way. Simple enough, back to my spot, worked before. I was able to make it back to the hole where I shot at the sow and could hear the porker moving towards me munching on corn. This just might work again! So I wait.......and wait....and wait....he should be here by now.....crunching not as loud.....and he is moving away again. Stinker! Back to the fence, circle around, get in front. Moving towards me stops....reverses course....starting to get annoyed. Finally he stops in one spot and seems content and I have cover to work with. Ever so slowly, I move forward paralleling the road....60 yards....50...40....molasses slow....30....25, might just pull this off....20, quartering away, need to shift to the left to clear brush....and he sees the movement and is gone. This time, I mean gone, hear him hit the fence on his way out. Sigh....I walk back to the truck and grab a drink and sit back to watch and see if any more visitors come in, about an hour til dark.

A few deer show up right at the start of the magic 30. One looks out of place....the calico! That little S.O......stalk is back on. Decide to throw caution into the wind and try something. I decide just going to stay on the edge of the road and walk right at him and see what happens. Maybe with the deer around he might not mind the movement. Kid you not, I walked to within 40 yards of the does before they boogered. Guess they couldn't quite get me figured, you got to be kidding me. At this point, I am about 60 yards from the hog and i dip into the brush. I don't know what happened in the next 30 yards but when i popped back out he was gone. Me and this pig are starting to form a history together......

I walk back to the truck when suddenly the lights come on and it starts to drive towards me!?! WTF? J.D. had apparently froze his butt off on top of the ridge watching the feeder and had decided to get back the warmth of the truck. He picked up my sorry hide and we headed back to the house. While becoming frustrated, I reminded myself to be thankful and have fun, that is what we are here for and to stop pouting! Tomorrow would be another day....and what a day it turned out to be....have a good night guys and will get back at ya tomorrow!
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
If everyone hasn't become to frustrated with my long windedness and will actually follow this tomorrow!
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©