3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting how much and how often?  (Read 492 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting how much and how often?
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
I don't have the luxury of being able to step out my back door and shot, I live in town.

I have to drive 20 minutes to shot in peace. I can practice on form in my garage.

How often and how much do you shoot. I am thinking quality over quantity maybe better.

I am going to have to tone it down or cut back, I spend more time shooting the bow then spending with my family, not good and make my practice session more productive.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting how much and how often?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Even a target at a few yards can be fun and help keep you sharp.  I live out in the country and can shoot anytime I want but in the winter I usually end up shooting from the kitchen into the utility room, a whopping 8 yards.  I enjoy it, I'm shooting, and while it might not be as good as shooting at more normal ranges it helps minimize the rust that forms from not shooting at all.

It's a rare day when I don't shoot at least a few arrows.  I don't ever have long sessions in the house since it gets a little boring, but 25-30 shots in the evening at the 8 yard target is pretty normal in the winter.  Probably the same number of shoots per evening outdoors in better weather and a nice summer evening can find my shooting off and on for a couple of hours.

Some people do form work at very close range, like close enough that the arrow barely clears the bow.  The theory is that since there is no aiming involved you are working to ingrain the feel of the shot without the stress of trying to hit the mark.

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm with easykeeper. I've been shooting in my basement at a box filled with stuffing and old blankets. only about 9 yards, but to make it more fun I hang a tennis ball from the ceiling and try to shoot it as it swings back and forth. actually helping my quick-shot placement quite nicely over the last few weeks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I am usually able to shoot outdoors at home, but if the weather is truly bad, I get 8 yards inside the garage, or better if I place a target outside and shoot from within.
Jim

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
5 or 6 days a week. Anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours.

Bisch

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I use to shoot thousands of arrows every week.  Then when deer season came, only stump and game shots, but I drew my bow many times while hunting.  I no longer hunt with bent fence post, I shoot about 80 arrows per session 3 times a week until turkey season is over, I like not having to work so hard to keep my strength and form up.  During the winter, I shoot very little.  A little time off is good for the joints and concentration.  During the summer I am planning on shooting 60 arrows three days a week, unless I have something that needs work, then I will adjust accordingly.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Id say its whatever it takes to stay in tune with your bow and your purpose for shooting. I have 13 yds in my basement and I shoot everyday. Maybe only 20 arrows but thats minimium. I shoot a heavy bow and it takes some shooting to stay in shooting shape.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
I have a target in the basement and both bag and 3D targets in the yards.  I probably shoot 5 days a week.  Some days maybe only a handful of shots but it all helps.
T ZZZZ

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
I was forward thinking and bought a house with a long basement and high ceilings.  I can walk down stairs and shoot 20 yards.  This I do every morning before work and once or twice in the evening.  20 acres of mostly woods and surrounded by miles of woods with loads of stumps.

Some basement visits I shoot one arrow and sometimes I'll do 60.  And some sessions I stand at 10 yards and just concentrate on form or release.

Now that the weather is warming I'll hang a couple bag deer targets in the woods behind the house and practice uphill/downhill and various angles on them.  I run those out to 65 yards, though I limit my hunting shots to 25 yards.  I place them 20 yards apart so I can shoot one arrow and spend half as much time walking back to a shooting distance.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Wow!

Bernie

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
I shoot 20-30 arrows per day, more when stump shootin.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I think you nailed the quality over quantity.

Sometimes I shoot everyday (over the years) but lately I'm only shooting say 50 arrows every other day.

I have a mild shoulder injury so I need muscle recovery time.

I mix my practice up and usually start with blank bale because I have completely relearned new form.  (no more swing draw)

A few well placed arrows with good form and concentration is a lot better than dozens of arrows if in a hurry, etc.

If you are limited to the garage I'd perfect that form, eyes closed.

Then work on whatever distance you can max out at...

End on a good arrow!

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
I generally shoot a couple times a week in my yard for half hour to an hour. As the season gets closer I increase the number of sessions but I don't worry about how many arrows I shoot.I'm happy as long as my arrows are going where they want. Some sessions might only be 20-30 arrows and I'll stop because I'm shooting really well

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I am comfortable with my accuracy to a certain degree, but seems more like I am obsessed with getting better or striving for perfection, which is impossible to a degree.

Maybe less could be more for me for a while.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Keb
Shoot in the garage if you have to.   :archer2:  I think any shooting is helpful.  
When it's cold snowy outside I can get 10 yards in the basement. I shoot there most days in the winter.
I try to shoot most days. I just got in from shooting in the backyard. When the weather cooperates I can get 40 yds in the backyard.
I feel even 5 yards would be benificial. I've shot at 10' when I had to. Then I pretend I'm shooting at a rattlesnakes head just to keep interest up.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
I generally shoot five to six days out of the week from anywhere from fifteen minutes up to three hours at a time. On the weekends I often shoot all day off and on.
James Kerr

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
I didn't mean for my answer to sound braggadocios.  I meant that because of the weight I choose to shoot I have to shoot daily or I won't be able to.  As for the blessing of the acres to stump shoot on...I just offered them on Tradgang to anybody who doesn't have a place to hunt this turkey season & I'd gladly take them.  A man with a young boy took me up on it but JD, if you need a place to hunt I'd gladly take you too.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Oops, double posting, sorry!

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Very little lately, tendonitis is killing me.Otherwise,about 30-50 arrows 4-5 days a week.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Keb, maintaining your strength and form is of the utmost importance . Then taking advantage of the range practice when it is available you will have better concentration and accuracy .
I live in the rural area and can shoot everyday.(20-30 yards) But shoot at the round bale quit often to maintain strength and form . (5yards)
Enjoy your time with the bow and arrows !
Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©