3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does material really matter?  (Read 568 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Does material really matter?
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
I am in the market for a new glove.  I shoot split and all I have ever shot is a cheap damascus gloves which run about $14 a glove.  I was wondering if it is worth it to actually invest $50 in a glove.  

I was looking at an American leather Big shot Glove, but at right at $50, if better be worth it!

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does material really matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I think on heavy poundage bows a good glove that's thick enough to protect the fingers is important.  Other than that, I THINK that it doesn't make as much difference as manufacturers would like us to think.

Same with a tab.  Anyway, JMHO.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I never used a glove I liked until I got a big shot. That glove is worth the money.

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
By the same token I HATED mine. Left streaks (raw spots) down the side of my face. I like the Bear Paw glove with Buff or elk or something. I shoot 60+ lbs. Not a problem.
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
I'm with you on the price of gloves.  I'm not saying they are ripping anybody off but I've shot a Howard Hill glove with the nylon finger stalls now for 12 years and it is still good.  I shoot 70-80# bows every day of the year.  I would have a hard time dropping a $50.00 bill for a glove but to each his own.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
I've got an American Leathers Made from Elk hide, beautifully made and definitely worth the money if it works for you.  Mine was a little to thick for my taste but would probably work better with heavier bows.

I've gone to a tab anyway but the American Leathers is no doubt a quality glove.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
I have found the 3 rivers "duraglove" to last exceptionally well and offer plenty of protection with the low 50s-high 50lb. bows that I shoot.

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
I found that the elk stretched. The buff glove I have has never stretched. I agree with using them for heavier weight bows. I use mine with my 64# longbow.
I can not comment on the prices. " you get what you pay for"

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Love my crossover and expect it will last quite a while.  I feel it's worth the $$. Great quality and good people to deal with.  Made by hand here in the USA!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
I,like many other folks, am excessively picky about my gloves.  I have to shoot one that allows me to keep my fingers close together, "feel" the string(not too thick and no cordovan overlays) and does not have excess seam material at the ends of the finger stalls(moves your anchor).  I wish I had the money for every glove that somebody recommended but I tried and immediately hated and sold at a loss. I'd try it before I bought it if you've got some buddies or go to a big shoot where the vendors will let you.  Damascus would be my favorite, but it's so thin my fingers get sore.  I shoot one called the Classic" sold by Kustom King that probably nobody here has ever heard of.  Wally World used to sell the same thing made by Fieldline and close them out for $5 after archery season. Wished I bought all they had!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
love my American Leathers Crossover. absolutely worth the money. very well made and perfect for me.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
The elk bigshot for me. Going on two years now and still shoots great.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Ive shot the big shot glove and it was an extremely well made glove that is worth every penny.  It was not my cup of tea but a good glove none the less.  I've shot many gloves til I found the one that works for me the best and have had to switch a couple of times over the years when gloves were discontinued.  Don't be afraid to try it out because what doesn't work for me may be a great glove for you.  I have been impressed with their great construction and quality.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
I have both tabs and gloves and the one thing I insist on is the the facing be cordovan. Slickest release possible for me.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
For me it was. I did a review if you care to read it. I'll never use another release aid.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
All depends on you Bud.  Some like it hot, some like it cold.  

CHuckC

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Do any of you guys have one you would like to part ways with? I wouldn't feel so bad about buying a used one that isn't in use.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
If you are talking about a big shot you would be better served to buy a new one.  He works from a drawing of your hand!!  You could easily sell it if you decide you don't like it and probably only lose a few bucks!!   Just a thought!!

And you would want to post the question in the classifieds.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
I have been just amazed with the Black Widow Stick-tite.  High quality leather, unique design that holds tight to your fingers.  As good as ANY I have seen. . .  and get this- under $20!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
I'm with you on the price of gloves.  I'm not saying they are ripping anybody off but I've shot a Howard Hill glove with the nylon finger stalls now for 12 years and it is still good.  I shoot 70-80# bows every day of the year.  I would have a hard time dropping a $50.00 bill for a glove but to each his own.
+1, I tried the American Leathers and found that it didn't provide anywhere near the protection as the HH glove, which lasts for years at half the price.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©