3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3D soot bino recomendation  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Oak518

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
3D soot bino recomendation
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Binocular and harness recommendation for 3D shoots

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3D soot bino recomendation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
I know this isn't what you're asking, but I don't see many people using binoculars at traditional  shoots in my area.  Open shoots where compounds are on the same range, yes.  But that is one of the big reasons I generally don't attend those types of shoots.  

For me personally, there is nothing more irritating than being held up at each target by guys studying each target with binoculars and going through all kinds of gyrations before shooting.  It just slows the whole process down and takes much of the enjoyment out of it for me.

In my mind, 3D shoots are great places to practice for hunting.  I look at the target, pick my spot, draw and shoot.  The joy of traditional archery is in its simplicity.   :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
I agree with Whip!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Most shoots don't allow binos at the stake.  If you use them ahead of getting to the stake there will be little to no hold up.  Any pocket binos will do for traditional 3D shoots.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
How far away do you put them targets??

The heart's right up between the upper leg joints.  Pay no attention to the dots and circles on the skin. ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
x3 with Whip  super annoying, there just 3-d targets, shoot where your supposed to and enjoy yourself while your shooting, Todd

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
I rarely keep score when I shoot 3D. For me, if I hit the spot I picked out on the foam, I'm happy.  There's a couple of shoots a year that are competitive, and have some sort of trophy for the top shooters, and I always end up shooting my worst it seems.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I'm not sure anybody really addressed the original question. I agree completely with Whip about whether or not they should be allowed, but where they are, I would prefer a low-power, small set. I'm looking seriously at a 6x30 Vortex for my bow hunting. I will carry it on a slightly longer than normal strap slung over my shoulder and hanging under my off-side (string hand side) arm. I really hate being out in the woods without binos. Something moving in the shadows under a tree remains just that - something - without some glass help for my tired old eyes.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
I also agree with Whip
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
I also agree with Whip.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Simple answer is that since 3-D is hunting practice you should use your hunting equipment for familiarity.  Use whatever binoculars you normally hunt with.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
I agree 100% with Whip and that's one of the main reasons I stopped going to shoots that included compound shooters.  I love to shoot but don't want to spend 3 hrs shooting 25 arrows. Especially in the summer.  

But you did ask about binoculars so I'll say that if I was going to use them for a shoot I'd use the same ones I planned on having around my neck while I was hunting. For me that's a high quality pair of 10x42s.  It's become cliche but the old saying of buy the best you can afford still holds true for binos.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
I'm a practice like I play kind of guy. I like my Swarovski 8x30 CL with factory strap over head and one arm so they lay along my side when shooting. I've yet to find a harness I like though I have also used a hill people gear kit bag with some success carrying smaller binos.

And I agree with the others, not to mention the shoots I go to don't allow them.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I'm in strong agreement with Mr. Whip for all the reasons already stated. Also agree that once you get a pair of Swaro 8x30's you'll stop shopping for bino's.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
if you got to use bino for 3D you aint shooting trad Gear   :archer2:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
To the best of my recollection, I have never shot at a traditional archery 3d shoot from club level to state championships that allowed the use of binoculars.

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
I use the same bino's I use for hunting and have a harness that holds them tight to my chest. I differ from the other guys in that I like glassing the targets. Just do so before its your turn to shoot so as not to delay other shooters. Also I have never hunted stegasauraus, or T-Rex. Bino's have boosted my score and I'm a competitive person. Hope this helps 3-D is great practice for hunting.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
I'll go out on a limb here and defend them.  I don't generally carry them, but they should be allowed and used at competitive shoots where they have the annoying habit of mixing less familiar makes of 3-D animals, some of which arguably have the vitals questionably placed and not visible to the naked eye.  There was an albino turkey that comes to mind (manuf. to remain anonymous)that the vitals on the strutting, broadside bird was so far back it likley wouldn't even have been a lethal hit short of getting lucky and breaking the spine. What should have been a 10 ring hit would have scored a 5.  A quick glance through a pair of binocs would have at least told you where to aim!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Simple answer is that since 3-D is hunting practice you should use your hunting equipment for familiarity.  Use whatever binoculars you normally hunt with.
Agreed
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
To the best of my recollection, I have never shot at a traditional archery 3d shoot from club level to state championships that allowed the use of binoculars.
same here, they are not allowed at our state traditional shoots, actually im glad of that, I got so tired of compound shoots with people and their binos, stools, umbrellas and everything else.. maybe im different, but im just shooting for hunting practice and to have fun with my buds... but everyone is different and some more hooked on shooting that 12 ring or whatever, for those I would assume use whatever ya do hunting, just please don't be one of those that stand at the stake forever..... it makes it hard on everyone else
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©