3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3D soot bino recomendation  (Read 1069 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3D soot bino recomendation
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
And the other side of the coin is that there is a whole pile of trad guys out there that compete at various levels through organizations such as the IBO. The IBO does in fact allow binoculars at the stake and any good 8 to 10 power will do. I prefer leupold for their unlimited lifetime warranty. They just replaced my tired 12 year old binoculars with the brand new pair this year no questions asked. Really doesn't matter whether you use binoculars are not to each his own the key is that everybody still has fun, we are all just brothers with different mothers aren't we?

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Most trad shooters are ornery cusses like Whip and therefore most trad only shoots do not allow binoculars.    :D   We don't have a rule against them at TBOF shoots, but whenever someone breaks a pair out they catch a lot of grief.  Truth is that if you are playing to win they can make a world of difference on oddly positioned targets even at close distances.  It is not a big deal if you glass before it is your turn to shoot, but if you wait until you get to the stake you are just bogging down the whole process for everyone.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I've never used binoculars at a 3D shoot, but I also later wished I had them at almost every one of them.  Some of the targets have some oddly placed "vitals" that I would like to check out prior to shooting.  I'm not extremely competitive, but I sure would like to know I'm shooting at the right spot.  It's kind of aggravating to me when I make a perfect shot, and then get to the target and score a 5.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Whip has got it.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by BDann:
I've never used binoculars at a 3D shoot, but I also later wished I had them at almost every one of them.  Some of the targets have some oddly placed "vitals" that I would like to check out prior to shooting.  I'm not extremely competitive, but I sure would like to know I'm shooting at the right spot.  It's kind of aggravating to me when I make a perfect shot, and then get to the target and score a 5.
I couldn't agree more. I shot my first tourneys ever this year and having no previous experience with the scoring/targets/etc. I felt like that was a major disadvantage. I have since shot 1 more tourney and I will be carrying some bino's at my next tournament.
To refresh everyone's memory, the question was, what bino's would you use at a trad shoot? Not, would you use them? Or how do you feel about them?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Guys that glass at the stake should be outlawed...they slow everyone up and it's rude.

If your eyes are like mine and you just want to see where the ten ring is, then use them, but for heaven's sake, be courteous.

I like a compact set...Vortex 6x30s ought to be all you need.They're good glass for the money.
Irv Eichorst

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Whip nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
I disagree with whip on this one!

I shoot a lot of 3D and I like to compete. 3D is a game. I do not want to lose points when I made a great shot that hit right where I was looking, but I was looking in the wrong place. The 12-rings on a lot of 3D targets are not in the same place where I would aim on a real live critter! If I miss the mark, I want it to be because I made a bonehead shot, and not because I was looking in the wrong place. I use the binos on nearly every target, and do fast enough that I do not hold anyone up. At all the Traditional Bowhunters of Texas shoots, the rule is that you cannot use binos from the stake, so I look before I even get to the stake, and take no longer than any other shooter.

I use Alpen Shasta Ridge 8x42 binos (about $200 new) for my 3D shoots. I bought my first pair in 2005 and used them with no problems until this past September (these are also my hunting binos. I do not need high end binos fo my hunting as I rarely ever hunt open country where I have to see very far. I was on a mule deer hunt in NM and while getting out of my truck one morning, they fell from the truck seat to the ground. They had been knocked around and dropped several times before this with no ill effects. This time something broke inside the binos and one side would not work any more. When I got home from that hunt I called Alpen and was told they had a lifetime warranty. I sent them in, and in less than two weeks, had a brand new pair in my mailbox. I am sold on the Alpen brand now because of their great customer service.

For carrying them I have a J hook on my quiver belt. I then have a small braided paracord attached to my binos (maybe 5" long) and the binos hang on the hook when I am not using them. It works very well. Up till this year I used a shoulder strap. That worked OK, but got heavy after a while, and was a pain to get off when someone wanted to borrow the binos for a second.

Bisch

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Oak518:
Binocular and harness recommendation for 3D shoots
This was his topic and question,  not weather you do or don't like them at 3D shoots.

total disregard for his question is just rude....
just me  :dunno:  

Vortex 8x42 and badlands strap for me.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
With Bisch on this one.  Going to use a pair of Bushnell 10/42 on sale 57% off. Wanted a pair of 8/32 but no deal. I had LASIK done and it left me with one eye out of focus ,tried 3x to correct.  So I will catch some grief but  I will be out there having fun.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I plan on carrying my 8x42 Nikon monarchs to the next shoot I go to.  A quick check of the right spot is all I'm after.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Well, I will disagree with EVERYBODY on everything.. hows that !  I feel ornery today.

Ya know. . .  if they'd a wanted you to see the ten ring zone from the stake, they woulda made it  obvious.  Big black or white lines.  They didn't . . for a reason.  You are supposed to shoot for a "supposed kill zone.  Of course, there SHOULD be some obligation on the manufacturer and the ranger setter uppers to present a real target then.

If the mfr zings in a really crappy rendition of heart lung location, it screws everybody up and does no good for everybody.

Equally, if the target has a kill zone based on a broadside position, and it is placed at a hard quarter, again, the ten ring will be located very poorly for a kill shot.

Kinda like having a flat ring target, but moving it over towards one side of the paper or another, but not telling anybody.

To directly answer the question.  I can't think of a single shoot where the target is over 100 yards away, and typically they are less than 30 yards.  A pair of child's $3.00 binoculars will work near as well as a $1,000 pair and they can fit in your pocket.  Take your pick.

My two cents

ChuckC

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
I use trad binoculars. Two toilet rolls glued together and painted black.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I disagree with whip on this one!

I shoot a lot of 3D and I like to compete. 3D is a game. I do not want to lose points when I made a great shot that hit right where I was looking, but I was looking in the wrong place. The 12-rings on a lot of 3D targets are not in the same place where I would aim on a real live critter! If I miss the mark, I want it to be because I made a bonehead shot, and not because I was looking in the wrong place. I use the binos on nearly every target, and do fast enough that I do not hold anyone up. At all the Traditional Bowhunters of Texas shoots, the rule is that you cannot use binos from the stake, so I look before I even get to the stake, and take no longer than any other shooter.

I use Alpen Shasta Ridge 8x42 binos (about $200 new) for my 3D shoots. I bought my first pair in 2005 and used them with no problems until this past September (these are also my hunting binos. I do not need high end binos fo my hunting as I rarely ever hunt open country where I have to see very far. I was on a mule deer hunt in NM and while getting out of my truck one morning, they fell from the truck seat to the ground. They had been knocked around and dropped several times before this with no ill effects. This time something broke inside the binos and one side would not work any more. When I got home from that hunt I called Alpen and was told they had a lifetime warranty. I sent them in, and in less than two weeks, had a brand new pair in my mailbox. I am sold on the Alpen brand now because of their great customer service.

For carrying them I have a J hook on my quiver belt. I then have a small braided paracord attached to my binos (maybe 5" long) and the binos hang on the hook when I am not using them. It works very well. Up till this year I used a shoulder strap. That worked OK, but got heavy after a while, and was a pain to get off when someone wanted to borrow the binos for a second.

Bisch
I agree with this 100%

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
I like to use an 8x monocular, it really helps on the turkey targets and the really dark targets. The monocular fits easily in my target quiver. I tried binoculars but I never found a way that I liked to carry them.

Like stated above, it stinks when you make what you thought would be a perfect shot and it does not score well. It is a game and I am very competitive, the monocular is the ticket for me.  :thumbsup:  

I do agree with that some folks do indeed study the target too long. We have an awesome coarse that is within an hour of my house that I will not attend due to the fact that it takes 3+ hours to shoot 30 targets.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
I havnt read all the other posts.. I have never used optics at a 3D shoot.. I bought a pair of Nikon Trailblazer 10x25 binos last year for glassing fields. They are compact and fit nicely in my catquiver. I used them a couple of times to watch deer movement in and out of large corn and bean fields. they were on sale for $65. They seem to be very clear and as good as my friends more expensive binos.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
If there were more cute girls on the course I may try a pair.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
I think Joe pretty much said it all!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Lonnie bailey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
I agree with Bish on this one 100%. there are some of us that like to shoot for a good score and binos help us do that. I use 10x42 Nikons. As other people have stated there are new targets coming out all the time and new manufactures that put the kill zones in different places. If you don't know where to shoot how are you going to hit your mark. So as long as people that use binos are polite and use them correctly I don't have a problem using them.
2012 Traditional World Champion MLB

Zipper SXT T/D longbow 60" 46# @28"
Zipper Zipstick longbow 60" 42# @28"

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
I hunt (and shoot 3D) with a pair of Sightron 8x32 (Blu Sky series) and a Crooked Horn Outfitters Harness.  

These were recommended to me by a friend of mine who is an avid birder and after doing a little further research they seemed to be a very popular budget optic.  I found mine online for $180 and for the money they're the best glass I've ever looked through!  If this is within your price range I'd highly encourage anyone to give them a shot, they are perfect for the application listed above.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©