3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little tip, maybe.  (Read 313 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A little tip, maybe.
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
This may be all in my head, or it may be real and common knowledge already, but I figured I would say it anyway.

If you live in Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, or several other places, you will frequently encounter windy conditions when hunting or practicing.  If you choose only to hunt when the wind is less than 15 mph, you will be staying at home more often than hunting.  I have my archery targets set up in the backyard shooting mostly from west to east in a direct crosswind from the predominating south winds.  I can shoot directly into the wind into my round bale for tuning, but I just practice shooting toward the east.  I notice minimal effect on point of impact out to 30 yards due to arrow flight, but I normally shoot skinny shafts with low profile fletching.  The problem that I have is when it is pretty windy, like today, with 25-30 mph winds and stronger gusts.  It isn't the arrow flight so much as the wind buffeting my body and making it difficult to hold on target.

What I noticed, is by simply going to one knee, or two knees, it dramatically stabilizes my body in a crosswind and tightens up my groups.  This is much more the case than when there is little wind and normal size groups.  I plan on shooting from this position in strong crosswinds when spot and stalk hunting when conditions allow it.  

If this is common knowledge or you don't feel it works for you, sorry for wasting your time.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little tip, maybe.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
A good tip is always appreciated.  I do the same, but prefer both knees to one, thanks.
Tom

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Also one of the draw backs to shooting with a bowquiver is that the wind hits it like a sail. No solution except take it off or adapt to it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Interesting. Good point. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Patrick,

When you say "skinny shafts and low profile fletching" what do you use?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Pete, I use different arrows for different bows, but I most commonly use beeman mfx classic shafts or axis shafts and parabolic cut feathers, sometimes 4", sometimes 5".  Less surface area for the wind to mess with.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
Pete, I use different arrows for different bows, but I most commonly use beeman mfx classic shafts or axis shafts and parabolic cut feathers, sometimes 4", sometimes 5".  Less surface area for the wind to mess with.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Good tip. Do you have any tips for when the wind is blowing from the side where it blows your arrow off the shelf?  I just try to hold it on with my finger, but that is very distracting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks Pat.  Though I don't see much wind here in Wisconsin, recent discussions here have me thinking again of dropping to 3".  Just more tinkering to mess with.   :)
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
Bow Quiver = Sail. Shot sunday in really windy conditions. Need to do some practicing with it off. Good tip though found that out also trial by wind. Lots of good info on trad gang.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
No great help for that situation, Dave.  I would probably make sure my broadheads were aligned horizontally rather than vertically to catch less wind.  I don't cant much, but haven't had a problem with that yet.  My buddy has his shelf and sideplate setup with a little gap between them, so the arrow is in a slight depression when drawn and at full draw.  He shoots pretty well, and I bet that would alleviate some of those issues.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  thanks for sharing,Pat
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Good tip Pat. For those who don't know Pat, he's the handsome bald guy in the Tuffhead add at the top of the page with the big Buff.
lll

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Good tip,Pat!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Sometimes things that seem obvious aren't and sometimes we need reminding of the little things that we once knew...good tip and thanks.

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Good tip---------but for this old geezer  with one new knee, and another in the future ; kneeling is soon
to be a thing of the past.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©