3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Kayapo Review  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf Kayapo Review
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
I just purchased this Lone Wolf Kayapo, 60" and 45# @ 28".  This is John Maus's 50's style recurve.  I have a 30 1/2" draw, and normally avoid bows this short, but I used to own a 62" Lone Wolf Autumn Storm, and I already knew that John Maus is a wizard at designing and building bows.

Some initial thoughts:
1. I have never seen a Kayapo for sale before.  These are rare birds.
2. The draw is incredibly smooth even with my longer draw.
3. The bow is quick for it's draw weight.  I am shooting Heritage 250's cut to 30 3/4" BOP, 200 gr. pt.; arrow weight - 568 gr.
4. This bow is not nearly as pretty as the Autumn Storm I owned.
5. The grip is terrific!  The swell on the left side of the grip fills my palm.  It reminds me of the Fox Breed.
6.  I shot some arrows at 30 yards and included a picture.  This wasn't my best outing with the bow.  I find the bow points well, and with more shooting, this will be a great bow for me.

Thanks for looking,
Rob

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Kayapo Review
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »

The bows pictured from bottom up are:
1. Lone Wolf Kayapo
2. A&H ACS
3. Fox Triple Crown
4. 21st Century Edge

Offline inferno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Well said. It sure looks great in your stack! Glad you like it.
inferno

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks Deren.  Take care.

Rob

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
Rob, thanks for the review. I have been very interested in this bow. I am more used to shooting a 62" recurve. Do you think this bow at 60" gives up anything in stability or smoothness to a 62" recurve? Thanks again for the review and pics.  Keith
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 05:39:00 AM »
Keith,

I'm no expert, but will do my best to give you my thoughts.  

I am primarily a longbow shooter.  But I have owned a Wes Wallace takedown recurve at 66" (Mentor).  Now the Wes Wallace had a much heavier riser and longer limbs.  And the Mentor would have slightly more stability and smoothness. But for a 60" bow, this Kayapo is amazing.  I have a 30 1/2" draw, and the Kayapo is very smooth with zero stacking.  It is a bow that I love to pick up and shoot.  It would be great in a blind, quick to point and shoot.

I have also owned a one-piece Acadian Woods carbon reflex recurve at 64".  (Those bows, all jazzed up, cost $1,400.)  I sold the Acadian because it was a little heavy for me.  The great thing about the Acadian was that it almost had some let off at the end of my draw, slightly smoother.  But the grip wasn't as good as the Kayapo.

So in summary, if you are talking about a 50's style recurve (apples to apples comparison), I think it would be very difficult for you to find a 62 inch recurve that would be smoother and more stable than a 60" Kayapo.

Like many of us, I have probably owned close to 50 bows.  I own and have shot some of the best out there.  I think that John Maus is a bit of a wizard.  The stability, smoothness, and performance/cast that he gets out of this 60" bow at only 45# draw at 28" is pretty remarkable.  I think  you would be impressed with a Kayapo.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 06:47:00 AM »
Rob, thanks for your insight. It is much appreciated and a real help.  Keith
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
John is a great bow making wizard indeed.  I picked up a Lone Wolf Kayapo used here on this site several years ago to use while I waited for John to finish the one he was making for me.  It is my favorite bow.  I only wish he'd go back to offering a take down model.  I am headed to Alaska Moose hunting this fall and will not be taking my Kayapo only because it in not a takedown and I do not want to deal with a over size item when traveling.  One day I want to get one of his longbows.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I just shot the Kayapo again tonight.  I am still amazed how smooth it draws out to 30 1/2" for a 60" AMO.  Great bow!

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Great write up Rob. Sounds like a great little bow.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
I really like that style, yours sounds and looks like a good one.
   :thumbsup:  
-Jay

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
i had one of Johns little banshee recurves, same riser woods as that one. the guy knows how to build a bow.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks fellows.  

Bowitis, you will have to try this one next time we shoot together.  Hope all is well.

Moots.

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
I was hoping you'd say that.

I'm looking forward to it.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Hey Moots,
Hows that kayapo? I ordered mine about a year ago. Mr. Maus is sending mine out in the mail tuesday to confirm the grip. Now thats customer service! During the process of building my bow he was very informative. Pictures say a 1000 words, but I am really looking foward to testing this recurve out. I to am a longbow shooter. So it should be interesting.

Mike
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
I just bought a used Kayapo from the classifieds on another website.  It looks just like the bow pictured above and has the same specs.  It should arrive tomorrow and I'm looking forward to shooting it. I've heard great things about Lone Wolf bows.

Moots,

What brace height do you use for your Kayapo?

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
I've not shot a "Kayapo" but I have owned and shot several John Maus made "Autumn Storm" longbows. I have always said that John is one of the best kept secrets in the archery business. A retired Marine who has a plan and sticks with it when it comes to building bows. I will be surprised if you are not very happy with your purchase.    :campfire:

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Wildman, give john a call. Real down to earth kind of guy. Boatloads of knowledge. He can get you squared away, just a warning, he can talk!
Good luck, I shoot my Kayapo at 7&3/4
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
Bill;
      That is the bow and I got it off of Rob ( Moots ) a short time ago. I was selling it because the grip is a little too small for my tastes. I called John and got the string he recommends on the bow. I put the Brace height in the letter also. I sure hope you like it and it fits your hand. I know it shoots well and does not torque at all. John has studied fiberglass and the gluing process and if you talk to him you will learn what makes his bows special.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Ed,

Thanks!  You should receive the Cashiers Check in payment Thursday.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©