3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hammock set ups for camping while hunting???  (Read 702 times)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Hammock set ups for camping while hunting???
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Anyone out there use a hammock set up while hunting , stumping or camping. If so what is your full set up and what do you use to keep warm. I understand that hammocks can get cold even in the summer due to air flow between the ground and your butt.

Let's see some pics of your full set ups.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hammock set ups for camping while hunting???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I am looking into them for my Tenkara fishing , and bow hunting . There are a lot of different options . I have not made a decision yet .

Offline Whelen35

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
No pictures, but I hammock camp a bit.  Use an under quilt and summer and winter comfort can be had.  If over75 I can sleep with a lite quilt under me in the hammock.  Check out hammock forms ad there is lots of useful information.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
I use a Hennessey Hammock when I hunt on Kauai.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
I hammock camp quiet a bit and I bought a self inflating sleeping pad from walmart. I think it was 25 dollars or so.  It is leaps and bounds better than a regular foam sleeping pad.  It also rolls up a lot smaller and it in my backpack. That so far is about all I need down to about 40 degrees or so.  For colder than that I took an old sleeping bag and made an undequilt.  I just tie it up with shock cord so it sags with the hammock when you get in it. I just couldn't bring myself to spend 200 plus on an actual underquilt.  I have slept down in the teens and haven't got cold so far.  But I also I was in a zero degree bag too when it was that cold.  The underquilt makes a huge difference.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
Posted on other site with my Mosquito Jungle hammock and set up.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JeffR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
Also no pictures, but I use a Warbonnet BlackBird.

I tried inflatable pads with regular sleeping bag in my hammock, but I tend to sleep cold and you'll still compress the loft of sleeping bag material that is underneath you.  I finally broke down and bought a down filled under-quilt and top-quilt.  Once I did that I've been very comfortable into the low double-digits.  Be aware though, you're looking at $400-$500 for a decent under/top quilt combo.

I've also found it helpful to invest in a good quality tarp (i.e. not the blue Xmart special).

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »
I have used a mountaineering wall hammock for camping.

They are designed to hang from a single point and have a roll up rain canopy, and are used to spend the night when rock climbing vertical walls that take more than a day. They have a pvc frame that goes together to make the floor into a rectangle, which helps some on getting a sleeping pad underneath you. Still takes some fiddling with however.

For camping, I have just hung it from a tree limb.

I once hung mine high up in a big tree (and wore a harness) when moose hunting in grizzly country. It was a gun hunt so I could wake up and start hunting right away, but for bowhunting you would have to get out of it and into a stand...

Look at mountaineering supply websites and you can see what they are like if you are interested.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Louisiana has a bow only reserve for 26 miles along I-49 Interstate Hwy. and Cocodrie Bayou.I took a canoe trip and use my jungle hammock I bought years ago.

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Check out ENO! Great products and ultra light. Tons of accessories as well.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
Since this was taken, I've made myself a budget underquilt from 2 woobies. Good to 40°!

This was a 3 man trip into the Smokies last April, on a Tenkara/ brook trout quest. One of the most enjoyable times I've had since I moved to Tennessee!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 06:25:00 AM »
If I sleep in one I can barely walk the next morning. I have a rock hard mattress and have no problem sleeping on a thin insulating foam pad laid on the ground.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Since this was taken, I've made myself a budget underquilt from 2 woobies. Good to 40°!

This was a 3 man trip into the Smokies last April, on a Tenkara/ brook trout quest. One of the most enjoyable times I've had since I moved to Tennessee!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
x2 on the Eno Single Nest. I don't have the mosquito net or the rain fly as I would use a military type poncho for the rain fly. The Eno is a must for any serious woods loafer.
Member NCBA

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Check out the Hammocks Forums:  https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php  This is probably the best source for hammock related info. Also, check Youtube for videos by Shug (a wild and crazy guy) that has great info on hammock set up and camping  

I have two hammocks, a Clark Ultralite and an ENO Double Nest and use a KAQ (Kick Ass Quilts) New River Under quilt for camping in temps under about 40 degrees, but it is rather bulky. I also have a Baby Orca from Molly Mac Gear that is used for temps above 40 degrees. I have some minor back issues and the hammock has given me better comfort than anything I've come up with for tent camping.
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline Tony87

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
I just got back from wyoming and used a grand trunk skeeter beeter with a Hennessy rain fly I put a yoga mat down to help keep warm and I loved it.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
We just got back from a CO Elk hunt. Used hammmocks most of the time. It got down to 30F one night. No issues, just use a good bag and pad under you.

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I use a Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7 along with the Mamajamba tarp and Cabela's 3D -30°F sleeping bag, works well for these long, cold winters here in MN.
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
I use an eno double nest with a nylon tarp for the rain fly. The double nest is large enough for me to move around in but packs up small and is light weight. I started out using a pad underneath me to stay warm but didn't like that so I made a light weight under quilt. The under quilt is the way to go...

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Love my Hennessy.  Put a mat or bag under you and you'll be okay most of the fall.  Dead of winter just isn't hammock time.
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©