3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NM Shelton and Huron are here...  (Read 364 times)

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
NM Shelton and Huron are here...
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Okay...They are HERE!!!

My Wife was kind enough to pick up the bows today while I had to take care of some things around the house. She didn't even get a chance to get them into the house because I met her in the driveway and opened the box right there in the garage. Here's what I found (again, sorry for the lousy pictures)...

SPECS:

Shelton - 68" #46@30" Stabilized Pacific Yew Riser, Red Elm cores and Gambel Oak Tip Overlays (Satin)

Huron - 63" #35@28" Osage Riser & Yew Cores (Matte)

Sorry... no more pics...had to shoot them both real quick. AND... this review is by no means thorough, so please keep that in mind. I only had a quick window this afternoon to try and do a quick tune on both of them and probably won't get a chance to shoot them again until later into next week.

Initial impressions: They are NICE! The Osage was a shocker at first since it's sooo yellow right now, but man is it gonna look WARM with that Yew once it ages a little. Finish on the Shelton is nice and I kinda wish I had gone satin or gloss on the Huron since the clear glass is a little frosty with the matte finish, but I wanted a more natural look once the Osage and Yew start to get closer in color to one another, so "Mission Accomplished" there. The handles have a palm swell that my current Huron doesn't have, so that was a surprise....another surprise...BOTH Bows came wrapped in really nice polar fleece bow socks!!!

Shooting: The Huron and I hit it off fantastic right away. It seems to like full length Genesis shafts with 100gr combo points. That is a nice coincidence since these 1820's are relatively inexpensive and the orange shaft color and red feathers mate up nicely with the colors of the bow!!! The Shelton was a little more "moody" with me, but I think that's because I haven't had a chance to find out what shaft it's going to like and the slight difference in the grip. The Shelton grip has more of a wedge shape than the Huron and I think I'm getting a more consistent grip with the Huron. That is probably in large part due to the fact the Huron grip is closer to the grip on my older Huron. I just grabbed my quiver with some 2117's, 1918's, 1820's and 2016's and hit the home range. Being so excited to get the bows, I'm sure I wasn't on my a game either. That string follow does pull nicely!!! I had to raise the brace on each bow to about 7" to get them to quiet down for me, but once there and with a good release, they were VERY quiet even with these aluminums and NO string silencers. I'm sure they'll be a whisper once I put some wool on 'em and try finding the right spined carbons or woody's.

Overall, I'm pretty excited about these bows and the work I'm going to have to put into them to "Learn" them. Every bow I've owned, has had it's own "personality" and each one of them require certain "inputs" that they like from the shooter, so learning each of their nuances should be fun! One day I may decide to master 1 bow, but that day is NOT today and I'm going to experience as many of them as I can right now. As my soon to be 71 year old Father likes to say... "Keep it FUN!"

THANK YOU STEVE FOR BUILDING THESE UP FOR ME!!! GREAT JOB!!!

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NM Shelton and Huron are here...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Look pretty good from here.......enjoy!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Very Nice!
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Awesome.  I have yet to sample Steve T.'s work but I know that when I do I will no doubt smile.  Those are both handsome handsome bows.  And I agree 100% about the 'inputs' on individual bows, they definitely have personalities  :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Nice bows....
Who made them....?
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Mike, They were made by Steve Turay from Northern Mist Bows.

If ya go to the MAYA BOWHUNTERS Around the World Shoot this year, you can try them out. Let me know and I'll bring them along! We can talk about another quiver too!!!

Mike (the other one)
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Very nice Mike...enjoy them both!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
You may not be pleased with the quality of the pictures, but there is no way not to be extremely happy with  those bows. They are very nice.
Sam

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Some really nice wood grain on those limbs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©