3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cool start to turkey season  (Read 281 times)

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
Cool start to turkey season
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
Turkey season is almost upon us here in the Midwest and its gonna be a cool start.  I have yet to ever shoot a turkey with a bow, still stick with a shotgun.  How many here on Tradgang have had luck harvesting a turkey with trad gear. Do you use a blind or some sort of natural cover, I rarely hunt from a blind with a gun usually just use natural cover.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cool start to turkey season
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
In the last four years I've killed both a Spring and Fall bird with my trad gear. Two were by stalking. It's very exciting to get one even moreso when you take one in the open on the ground.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
I've had a lot of close calls, and three successful harvests.  Set up and decoy quality is key.  I had a lot of birds skirt outside my range with my shotgun decoys(they all would have been dead with a scattergun).  I plan on trying with the tadgear again this year.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
I'm hexed when it comes to turkeys with a stick and string. Many, many with the shotgun. I've hunted them with a recurve/longbow for about 15 years, off and on, and with trad gear only the last 4 years. So... it has been 5 years now since I've killed one.

It will be trad gear only this year. I would not go back to a shotgun as I still get some turkey by calling for my grandkids (while they hunt with a shotgun).

The bow is just too much fun!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Put the gun down 2 years ago, and I'm 1 for 2 first year it was almost too easy, last season I put more birds in my lap than I ever have in 20 years of turkey hunting but... I was one missing fool haha!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
I am one for two, I hunted them two times and shot one with a stickbow.  The first time I had one coming into the set at ten yards and our beagle decided to help me by joining the hunt. Turkeys have always been easy, too easy. Years ago I would call them in just to see their reaction to the decoys. I have guided several people over the years that wanted me to call them in. I think we have an advantage in the mountains. If you find one to gobble, you can bet were he will come to a mouth call by the terrain. Elk, on the other hand, avoid me. I am cursed.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©