3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Shoots & Binoculars  (Read 540 times)

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Shoots & Binoculars
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the other thread I thought I would ask this in a new one.

What trad only shoots DO NOT allow the use of binoculars?

I'm just curious about it, because in the many years I have been shooting trad only shoots only one organization's shoots I attended did not allow them, and even they have changed their rules to allow them now.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Shoots & Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
I have not been to one that does NOT allow them yet.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
How aren't binoculars trad? Rangefinders are commonly banned. I get that. Usually just no binos at the stake.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Again, to the best of my recollection I have never attended a Traditional Archery 3d shoot that allowed binoculars! The only pair I ever recall seeing was pulled out by a shooter who was gently informed that they were not allowed by rule. He apologized as he did not know and put them away. In 2009 near Belleville, IL. I did compete in two 3d shoots that were in large majority compound bow events. My group was all trad shooters. We were very courteously treated and allowed to "hopscotch' around the groups who seemed to all have binoculars, many with chairs and come back to the stake later.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
North American Longbow Safari does not allow any binoculars.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
It varies on the club I have found TBoT does not allow.  Mixed shoots usually do.
  :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Tbot does allow. They started allowing them a couple years ago.

In their currently posted rules.

#5-Binoculars are allowed at all TBoT tournaments, but shall not be used once the shooter is at the shooting stake. No rangefinders allowed.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
I'm not sure if the shoots in my area allow them or not but no one uses them that I've ever seen shooting traditional bows. To me it adds a little excitement to a shoot when everyone eyeballs the target, takes the shot and you walk to the target and get to yell back "Hey Bill, you got an 11 (or 12)!".
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
To answer Bear Heart, I don't think many members here think of binoculars as being "trad" or "non-trad". One of the many appeals of traditional archery is the simplicity of equipment. A strung bow, glove or tab, arrows and a quiver suffice for a huge majority of your shooting, including 3d shoots. If you allow binoculars, face it you will need a pair to be competitive. As useful as they are in hunting, to me they will become just another piece of crap that I don't really need to carry around to shoot 3d targets and if no one has them, no one has any unfair advantage. Finally, ask yourself if anyone when hunting (which 3d is intended to simulate) uses binoculars to find an aiming point when game is within 10 to 20 yards and immediately before nocking and arrow and shooting?

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
I personally have never been to a trad shoot that does not allow binoculars. Not every one uses them, but all have the option.

If some one don't think that binoculars are fair, I would suggest taking the matter up with the club or organization that allows them.

I always try to play a game by the rules, 3D shoots are a game. Some shoots have different rules. Heck some TX Trad Shoots allow raised arrow rest, some don't. When I show up and see Olympic bows at a trad shoot that allows them, I just go have fun with my friends. At that point it is just for fun anyways.  :)

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
I do not see a problem with using them before or after you get to the stake but not at the stake.

I have been to shoots and there is a new animal or the people before me almost pushed the target down. I pick my spot and drill it. We then walk up and the animal is leaning or turned so the scoring rings are not where I felt they should be. I get a 5, my buddy, who says a few choice words when he flinched and almost shot over the animals back gets a 10.

I don't keep my score anymore, I just shoot to have fun...
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Makes it hard to birdwatch while other folks shoot, if you can't bring them.

I can see where some folks could cheat by using a rangefinder incorporated into the bino unit. I can't help but think that looking at a "stolen" prize would give the cheater a sour stomach. I refuse to take scoring seriously. I use it to monitor personal performance, and if I get an "Atta Girl" trophy from it, then it just helps to preserve the memory of a day in the woods with my buddies.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Well said Killie   :thumbsup:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
The IBO allows use of binoculars at all their events including the trad worlds.

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Makes it hard to birdwatch while other folks shoot, if you can't bring them.

I can see where some folks could cheat by using a rangefinder incorporated into the bino unit. I can't help but think that looking at a "stolen" prize would give the cheater a sour stomach. I refuse to take scoring seriously. I use it to monitor personal performance, and if I get an "Atta Girl" trophy from it, then it just helps to preserve the memory of a day in the woods with my buddies.

Killdeer
This exact thing HAS happened with a very high level pro compound shooter on the ASA circuit. He was banned and stripped of his titles! He should have been thrown in jail because he was a pro and doing it for money!

Cheaters are going to cheat, no matter!

Just about every trad shoot anywhere around my neck of the woods allows binoculars. The only one I can think of in TX that does not is the Texas State Longbow Championship shoot.

Bisch

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Out here [AZ] most trad stakes have a 30 yard plus or minus 10% [30meter] max.  For people whose eyes can't see the rings it's nice to use binos.  We all use them to hunt.  So learning to shoot well while wearing them is good practice.  
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
TBA shoots do not allow binos. I dont care either way
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
I've been shooting competition for over 30 years.
At the mixed shoots I've seen the use of binoculars slow things down.

At the all trad shoots I've not once seen the use of binoculars even remotely slow things down.

I've actually seen people take much longer at the shooter stake because they didn't have binoculars, and couldn't quickly figure out where they needed to place their arrow. The people with the binos scan with them for 3 or 4 seconds, and make their shot.

The biggest hold up I have ever experienced at any shoot (trad or otherwise) was people looking for their arrows behind the target. Makes me wonder if they were using binoculars or not.  :p

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just being silly... (or missing something?)

I don't use binos for hunting... Why would I use them for a 3-D shoot?????

From what I've seen, The scoreing rings are "generic" at best. If I put it in the crease, it's "dead game"... That's all I'm worried about!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
When I am shooting 3d it is for score and I am trying to shoot the best score I can. Some of the smaller targets 11 ring is smaller than a dime,and not where you would think it should be for hunting situation, so I use my binos on probably 15 out of 30 target's,I don't think it slows anyone down, because it's done before I get to the stake. And for all those that argue 3d messes up your hunting because the 11 ring is not a double lung shot I say this. If you can hit a dime, you can hit a dime wherever it is.
John 3:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©