3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your thoughts on short bows  (Read 544 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Your thoughts on short bows
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
I have a 14" ILF riser on the way and just would like some thoughts on short bows. With short recurve limbs I can make a 54" bow. I draw 29" and also have med. and long limbs. I hunt from the ground 90% of the time and I'm thinking maybe short is good.......any thoughts! I don't shoot heavy weights.....40-48 pounds.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts on short bows
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
The riser and short limbs will max out at 27" draw.  With your draw Longs would be recommended to get the best performance.

With the right limbs you could shoot mediums with out stacking but shorts are not in the book for you.

I have the same issue with a 30 1/2" draw.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
I am not a short bow fan, and have done well, even from the ground, with 64" and 66" bows.  That said, I can think of a couple areas where a short bow might excel.  In a blind and in a kayak.

If you think you may like them, go for it, we all like different things.

ChuckC

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Ron, meds or longs for sure depending on the maker.  At your draw weight you'll get a nice quick hard hitting bow I'm sure.  Turn the bolts out almost to the max to get the highest smoothness potential.  If you want some extra stability throw a 6-8oz weight on the stab bushing if the riser has one.  There's no reason a short bow can't shoot great if setup right and of a good design.  My 56" Dark Matter Centaur has been a revelation.  I think you remember I had a 13" Zipper ILF riser with some 'long' Border LB limbs and it was a great shooting 58" LB at my 29ish draw.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
I have 2 sets of Dryad long static recurve limbs, maybe I should lean towards them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
I'm in a similar situation as well; I too draw 29" and I've been debating with myself on picking up a KMag. 58" Grizzly works fine for me but 52" - I wish I knew someone with one I could try first. I will be curious to see what other replies you get.
SWA Spyder

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Just my $.02 worth. I shortened my draw a bit when I switched to lefty. I think I may have opened my stance a bit?

Whatever, I was drawing 29" right handed and now draw 28" lefty. I just picked up a 50# KMag lefty. I can shoot it reasonably well, which pretty much sums up my shooting with my longer bows too. I hate to think about adding another 1" of draw to that KMag, though. I don't know if I would hit a solid wall, but it sure is getting stiff at 28". If I ran into someone with a 45# KMag lefty that wanted to move up a bit, I'd trade in a heartbeat, or New York minute - whicher is shorter.

Having said that, I had a 54" Super Necadah 45# right-hander that drew smooth as butter all the way back to 29".
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.......   :notworthy:

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
I draw 29 1/2" and have never found a bow shorter than 60" that I can shoot well. So, I just stick with 62" and every bow I own, except one (and that is my 60" Stalker which was the Hope passaround) is 62".

Bisch

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Ron if you like short Bows why don't you try a Horse Bow they are short and man can they fling an arrow   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Jeff, not sure I like'm short.......just thinking I may give it go to see if I do.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
For fun I think you should try some yourself  :)  But it is so much fun to speculate, talk, and dream of new bow possibilities with others.  
I've owned a couple of real short Cascade Recurves and a Two Tracks Ambush Recurve.  All were superbly crafted and I shot them okay.  I sold my last Cascade to a very experienced hunter that simply loves them!  I've also owned a couple of short longbows...a BrushHawk and a Shrew come to mind.  Again...very well built bows.  
After "playing" with short bows...I've decided for now that I prefer shooting longer bows...with that said...I may change my mind again  :)  LOL!!!
Like I suggested...I'd still try to experience some short bows for myself.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
I had a 52" Cascade Golden Hawk Magnum years ago. I shot that bow well but it was a bit heavy and made my target panic raise it's ugly head. Funny thing.......I'm asking about short bows and was out shooting my 70" Hill today.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
I love them, I am shooting a 52 inch static tip TimberGhost at the moment.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
I like them. I have been through a bunch over the last ten years. They included Shrews, Stingers, K-Mag, Supermag, and even a GN Ghost and CG that were all of 56" long. All the others were 56" long as well.

That said, the only two I have now are a 52" Lil Hoots and an old Bear K-Mag. The Lil Hoots works with my 29" draw with no finger pinch and it shoots better (for me) than many of my longer bows, all of which are 62" or better.

I didn't even know I wanted the Hoots until I picked it up on a trade here. I would never get rid of it. Wish they made one with osage limbs.

John
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I am probably in the minority on this but I don't shoot longer bows any better than I do short bows so I don't own a bow over 60".  I have even thought about selling or trading my 60's for something shorter.    

Granted I only draw around 27" but I prefer 56" and 58" bows.  However, this may be because I just haven't shot anything shorter than 56" yet.  

I'm hooked on 1 piece R/D longbows so I enjoy the maneuverability and flexibility of a short bow as  it allows me to adapt to any hunting situation more easily in my opinion.  

Plus, they fit better in my truck    :D
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
At my 27" draw, I find 56" is the shortest I would go. My Groves is forgiving, even if my release is a tad off. Now my 50" Browning Cobra....I need to be perfect on every shot or my arrows wander.

My longbow is 58", no problem and my other 2 hunting recurves are 60" and very forgiving.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I have 2 sets of Dryad long static recurve limbs, maybe I should lean towards them.
Yep.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
ron i think you will like it. i know i do   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
I am just drawn to the longbow. I like 68" long and have no problems with the length whether shooting from a tree stand or on the ground. I used to shoot a recurve at 56" length, but it is just not as smooth as my Hill bows. Nor does it seem to be as forgiving of my bad form.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©