3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your thoughts on short bows  (Read 545 times)

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts on short bows
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Well I definetlly lean toward the short ones some of you know my situation and have no choice.   :banghead:    :banghead:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Well today a 15" TT Recon riser wandered into my life. I have a 14" riser coming but I thought I would fool around a bit. A pair of 40# shorts were set up, a 452 string twisted up with 2 string leeches. Standing vertical the bow is just over 52" so I'm thinking with my 29" draw this may not be good. I adjust tiller and brace and out into the yard I go.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
I shot 2016 with 125 up front.....first time I draw I notice no stack, interesting. First 2 arrows are a bit high and right at 15 yards. I make a mental adjustment and put the next 3 in the bull. A few more arrows and I back out to 25 yards and put 3 out of 4 in the kill on a deer target........this short bow thing may be OK! Will be fun to get the 14" and try my long limbs.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I went back out and shot some 50-55 and some 55-60 cedars.....they also flew well.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Ron

Great start. I treestand hunt a lot I really like bows 56 to 58 inches.

Your set up sounds awesome.   :archer2:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
i like longbows and my 2pc 64" sparrowhawk feels SO smooth for my 29+" draw length.  but it's not the most versatile bow length when up a tree.  in fact, it can be very limiting as to what "hole" (branches, leaves, etc) yer gonna be able to shoot through.  i found that very limiting in my whitetail hunts down in texas.  

the last really short stickbow i had was a 52" bear magnum, back in the mid 60's.  i hated it.

this 54" timberghost hybrid t/d i just got is/was more of an experiment to see if i could adjust to a much shorter bow and deal with any stacking issues, and make for easier tree stand hunting.  

so far, so good - no stack, fast and stable, good pointability, shoots quite well for me.  it'll get a good workout this sunday at the club's field and golf courses.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
I also had a 52" bow back in the day......I wasn't fond of it either.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
The primary reason I left traditional archery for 35 years was a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum.  It stacked terribly and though I was reasonably proficient with it, I "traded up" to wheels as soon as I could.  If I had had any experience with longbows back then I never would have gone to the dark side.  All my bows now are 66" longbows - both Hill style and R/Ds and I enjoy shooting them all.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
I really think short bows are better than they used to be. I think used to, a short bow was kind of a novelty with most people shooting 62" or longer recurves. I think when I started shooting stickbows the most popular recurves were 62". A 58" Mamba was considered a short bow. With more people interested and wanting short bows I think short bow designs have really improved. That's really why I started building bows. I wanted a short bow but everything said I couldn't shoot one comfortably and accurately at my draw length. Had to see for myself. More than one way to skin a cat if you put your mind to it.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
My 56" Kanati's are perfect for my 26" draw.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Personally, I like shooting bows in the mid length best.  I have a "stout" build; my 3 yr old granddaughter says "Grampa, you have a big belly".  I have to really try to keep 66" inch longbows  from touching my torso at full draw so shorter bows work better.  I think 60" to  64" are best for me.

I have owned a 48" and a 56", but 60" seems like the best fit.  I have been thinking about ordering a set of limbs that would make a 62" bow, just because I have never tried that length.  Although 1" at either end may not make enough difference to make it worthwhile.

It seems to me if you are mostly hunting from the ground a 60" would be about perfect.  I shot a buck with one of my knees on the ground and the length did not hinder me at all.  I could see a shorter bow having some advantages if you were hunting from tree stand, or perhaps a small blind, I guess.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Well after messing around with a 14" and a 15" ILF riser I think short is all relative. With my long limbs on a 15" I get a 60" bow. But strung it's only 56" end to end. My one piece River Runner at 60" is 58" end to end. I guess that's short enough for me. The good news is that my wife just went from a Zipper 17" ILF to a Morrison 14" ILF because the grip is much smaller and fits her well. That makes a 54" bow 30# @ 25" which fits her very well.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Cool deal Ron!  Yeah bow true lengths vary by how each bowyer measures.  My new Cari-bow Tuktu is marked 60" but when strung is 1" shorter than my 56" Centaur!!  Gotta love deep hooks on static tip recurves!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
I agree with the comments on the Bear Mags  at 52 inches from back in the 60's.  Had one and wouldn't again.  However, I had a couple of Wing 52 inch Thunderbirds by Bob Lee, not AMC, back then and a totally different animal.  Very smooth and very nice.  My 27 inch draw helps.  Currently have a couple of Cascade Golden Hawk Magnums and Cascade Night Hawk Magnums (Phenolic riser)  all 52 inch and they are perfect.  No finger pinch, stable, smooth and perform.  Lots of improvements over the years in short bows.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
the old bear magnum and super magnum were never friendly to a 28" draw let alone 29".  these dayze there are some really well thought out super short longbows (let alone recurves) that are nothing like those old shorties in smoothness of no-stack draw and stable release, with heavy arrow speeds we could only dream would be possible back in the 60's.  a prime example of this kinda really good super short longbow is the 54" timberghost t/d that pulls smoothly for me to just over 29".
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
I have a 54" Bob Lee one piece and love it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
56-58" bows for me. Longer bows do not help me shoot any better.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I never been a short bow fan but with that said my  Lil Hoots Big Jim's TC and Black Widow all are 54" and they shoot well for me.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I like longer bows 60"+, but pull mine 50" Ambush to 29.75" without stacking. If you want a short bow with a longer DL, try the Ambush, pleasant to shoot, fast and Chucks workmanship is excellent

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Todays short bows are worlds apart from bygone era ones. I too have been a long recurve guy for many years but have always hunted from treestands or stalking/still hunting. Now that health issues are forcing me to sit on the ground those long bows just don't work as well.

I find my 52", 44# Cascade Golden Hawk Magnum to be extremely smooth, even smoother than my 56" Bear Takedowns of lighter weights. But since I can not find any more limbs or complete bows of Cascade make I will be using the one I have and several 56" Bear TD's. The longest I will go these days is 60".

There are some real good old bows in 56"/58" like Damon Howatt Hi-Speed and Browning Safari I/Fury I.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©