3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for You - Perfect Boots for Southeast  (Read 163 times)

Offline Ranger75

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for You - Perfect Boots for Southeast
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I'm a big believer in stealth. I hunt almost exclusively in Bean boots or Lacrosse Granges (the old school green ones with the thinner sole). I like the sole of the Bean better - it's thinner and allows me to feel the ground better. I love the ease (no laces)and waterproof-ness of the Lacrosse. For the past couple of years, I've gone with the Lacrosse, whether deer, hog or turkey hunting.

Turkey hunting over the last couple of weeks got me thinking about how I could combine the strengths of these two boots with the one thing I'm lacking that might be nice from time to time in the swamps and piney woods that I hunt - snakeproof-ness.

I did a little searching, and all the snake boots that I've found have one of those thick, clunky soles. No good for slipping through the woods like and Indian. Also, the majority of the snake boots seem to be lace ups or have a zipper.

My ideal boot for my hunting area would be (in some semblance of priority):
1. Stealthy - just enough padding to handle walking a dirt road.
2. Easy on/off - no laces and preferably no zipper.
3. Waterproof
4. Snake proof
5. Durable
6. Not too expensive - don't come talking about the Russell boots - I'm not going to spend $500 for a pair when my Lacrosse are $65.
7. Good looking - I prefer a classic look - don't really like the Star Trek style of a lot of snake boots.

So, my questions for you are:
1. Do you know of a boot I should consider?
2. Would you add or change the list of priorities?
3. If such a boot was offered (assuming there's not one that meets all the criteria), would you buy a pair?

Thanks for the feedback.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for You - Perfect Boots for Southeast
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Good timing as I have been searching the last couple of days for a replacement for my boots.

This may surprise you but the best boot I've found is an off brand put out by Academy Sports. I used to buy Lacrosse every year and spend $$$ only to reace in some case with less than 2 years service (alpha sport seris).

About 3 years ago while looking for a replacement for the last pair of Lacross I tried a pair of Game Winner that appeared similar to the Lacross and Muck brand.

To my surprise the fit and quality was as good or better, so I paid the $59.00 and never looked back. Thats been about 3 years ago and the only reason I'm  in the market again is I punctured the sole on one boot and developed a small leak, which can happen with any brand.

I planned on buying another pair but it is a seasonal item and Academy is out right now.  The interesting thing is while researching for something similar I came across a identical boot except for naming logo, and it appears these boot are made by BOGS.

I'll either wait for them to stock at Academy or pay the extra $$$ for the BOGS.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
One more thing is I don't think it will meet your criteria for "snake proof" but adding some boot Gaithers (sp) could solve that.

But as for the rest I think these will foot the bill.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I love my Muck boots. Can't beat them for comfort. Easy on easy off. I have the lower end camo that retails for about $100. Owned a pair of their snake boots that run about $190. The snake boots are heavier and obviously tougher but still comfortable. Sorry to say they disappeared while on a hunting trip. Will replace them before the fall hunting season. You might check on line at the Muck Boot Outlet in Tenn. Great to deal with and when I bought mine, their policy was if they don't fit you can return them on their nickle. Free shipping as well. Good luck with your search.    :thumbsup:

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Cabela's 18" "Scent Free Uninsulated Rubber Boot Brown"  cost about $55 plus shipping.  I buy a new pair every 2 years here in NC and they work until it gets into the low 40's then I go insulated...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I've been a boot junkie forever but never had a custom boot built to my feet until recently. I will never buy over the counter again for a hunting boot. I have a pair of Browning featherweights that I love the ground to feet feel but lacked in support when hunting steep ridges here in Va. I also have a pair of Danner Pronghorns, that give me the added support I need when hunting those ridges but feel like bricks when contacting the ground.

So I bit the bullet and had a custom set of Russell's built just the way I wanted and my perfect boot search has ended.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Gaiters are always an add on option.  I thought about gluing a couple layers of cordura nylon on the shaft of the boot for snake protection.

Let us know what you come up with.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©