3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fleece or Wool Outerwear?  (Read 312 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Fleece or Wool Outerwear?
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Well this year I am investing in all new hunting gear.

I am going with a new set of wool bibs (I lovebibs) and also going with most likely marino wool underlinings.  I am trying to get a hold of some wool sweatshirts and such to put over those.  

Now I am looking for a camo outerwear.  I am strictly an archer now no more gun so I like soft clothing.  Stiff thick heavy jackets (like I have now) dont work well with archery for me being I'm very short and stocky.  So I figured I'd go with fleece and wool but no jacket cuts so they aren't stiff and blocky.

I dont know which would be better for outerwear though wool or fleece?  A concern I have and have been well warned about is briars, stickers, and other debris that will infest themselves into this clothing.

So. . . .

I'd like to know what you guys recomend wool or fleece?

What you guys wear?

And some good options if you have any.

I was thinking of going with something along these lines...not these but something like this.

Fleece Pullover  

Wool Pullover  

Thoughts and Ideas?

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fleece or Wool Outerwear?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Wool is much more durable in my experience.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
I have both; love my Berber fleece!

However, that is in the colder weather.  When it's warmer, I just grab my $29 walmart fleece pullover that's in my avatar, and I love it just as much!

Berber with windstopper is a lifesaver for comfort.  You just gotta experiment with both!

It's also nice to be near a cabela's and grab their berber windstopper pants on sale for $20 from time to time!!!  Gotta love it...!

But both will catch burrs...I think the fleece a little more so, but then I wear it in a different season before some of the vegetation falls down...

See ya,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Yea was reading alot and the census is that these berber fleece dont get to many burrs on them but you will always get some.

If I'm leaning towards anythign right now its this one:

Berber Fleece

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the windstopper lining; it's noisy and adds bulk.  I've spent the last year or so stopping into every Cabelas I've traveled past, from Dundee, MI to Budah, TX. Each time I've spent time trying on the berber fleece, microtex, and wooltimate garments - some lined with windstopper and some not.  I found the berber too bulky and huge in the sleeves, too much material for string clearance - didn't like the cuffs either.  The microtex is light and a better fit so I bought some unlined - not bad, dries out pretty fast and is relatively quiet.  I like the unlined wooltimate for the same reasons plus it is much warmer without adding a lot of weight.  Doesn't dry at fast due to the wool component.  I like the Outfitter camo pattern in each.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
If you like the wool clothing you need to check out the newest sportsmans guide! I ordered a pair of bibbs and a nice coat shipped for less than 90.00 bucks. I went to the post office this morning and picked it up. WOW! This is some nice stuff! I can't wait untill it gets cold enough to wear it. It's on the cover of the magazine.
I like the fleece pants and pullovers as well.
The windstopper is hard ta beat...
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
Also another question...do items like these size larger or smaller then average clothes?

I have no stores close to try them on so i need to order them via the internet.  I can always return for a different size but would like to get it close the first time LOL.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
XL in both Microtex and Wooltimate garments worked for me - my usual sizes.
Gary Logsdon

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
I have one of the Berber Parkas with wind shear and its not noisy at all.  I have an older sweater with the wind stopper and its noisy.  

That being said, I've worn them when it was 10 below here and wind blowing and been very comfortable.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Two things to consider for outer garments, both of which are, for me, important.

1. Wool fabrics do not have UV brighteners while fleece fabrics might.

2. Sparks from a campfire will smolder and go out on wool fabrics while they will stick and melt fleece fabrics.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Wool insulates even when wet, is quiet, one of the best insulators by weight and as was said fire retardant.
Fleece while it drys quickly does not insulate when wet. It melt against the skin when it gets hot. In fact synthetic materials are referred to as "shrink wrap" by Fire Fighter EMTs.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
I have both wool and the Berber Fleece with lining. The wool stays in the closet more often than not. I love my berber Fleece on a cold day and I have experienced no noise problems with the lining. When your in a tree stand on a cold windy day, believe me you'll be glad that you have the "Wind Sheer" lining. It has allowed me to stay in the stand longer.JMO

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
I was just out west hunting mule deer above timberline. I used the new Sitka gear, which will block the wind without a liner and does not have the bulk in the sleeves and chest like Gary described. It is a quiet synthetic that has built in stretch, but I am not sure how it will stand up to sparks as suggested by Naphtali. It worked for me in a moving and stalking situation with many hours of down time glassing in the wind. Temp in the morning were below freezing and the evening they would drop 20 to thirty degrees and approach freezing again. The 90% jacket and pants seemed comprable to my wool stuff only much lighter.  Mike

Offline semostickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Glad to hear you liked the Sitka, I just bought a set and have yet to use it.  I've been wearing Hidden Wolf/Grey Wolf for years now and never get cold.  However, it is much heavier and bulkier than my Sitka and smells like a coyote when its wet.  I bought the Sitka as a change, so I'm not wearing out and stinking up my wool.

Geoff

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
Wool is by far my favorite fabric.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
#1) The "wool" REALLY isn't wool..... It's a "revolutionary blend of the 2 finest fabrics ever made,Wool and Fleece"

#2) Wool is not "made" it is a natural fiber.....Fleece, is man-made.

#3) Seems kinda expensive (to me).....but that is really for you to decide.

#4) If your going to layer with wool garments underneith,you can pretty much put anything in your favorite camo pattern over top. I frequantly use a cotton camo shirt over my wool sweaters (as long as it's not raining) the tight-weave cotton cuts the wind pretty good. I also have a Poly-Fleece Blaze Orange camo jacket that I put over my wool sweaters during the gun season.

Personal opinion.....

Of the 2 jackets that you showed us I would go with the Fleece.

Just one Old Fart's opinion   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
If the wind blocker is anything like goretex it most likely doesn't breath well, it may leave you with that clammy feeling. I like wool it breathes, but i will wear goretex over it in heavy rain.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Heya guys thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it!!

I have been searching for wool sweaters and what not but can't seem to find any used or older ones...not in my area.  I've covered every good will and thrift shop around but there is nothing.  It looks like I'll have to spend another $100+ to get a decent wool sweater to put on under my outer layer.

Again thanks for all the replies off to do some more research!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Check an Army Navy Store
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Ill do that tomorrow vermonster thanks!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©