3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 'Koa' Cari-bow Tuktu EX (pics!!): all I hoped, impressive and highly recommended!  (Read 1056 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Ever since Abe Penner released pics of the prototype of this model it was love at first sight.  Hadn't sampled any kind of Cari-bow yet but made up my mind last year, that when the opportunity arose, the Tuktu EX would be it.  The reviews of Abe's bows have always been favorable; actually my original bow collecting 'mentor' LOL..he swears by his Silver Fox 3pc and he's probably owned a couple hundred bows.  The Tuktu 'pass around thread' here on Pow Wow cemented that resolution to acquire a Tuktu EX even further.  I missed out on the sign up for that bow, even though a dedicated lefty I can shoot righty well enough to test a bow.  No worries, the aesthetic design of the bow, which I to me is a knockout, and the fact that it was a static recurve meant I wouldn't hesitate to buy one second hand like I have with many bows or get up the nerve to order one from Abe.  I waited for months, hoping a lefty would pop up on the classifieds.  Even tried a WTB ad for a short time.  Nada.  Apparently there just weren't any lefties out there yet OR no one wanted to sell theirs.  I suspect the latter   :)    I hadn't latched onto the idea of ordering one.  Waiting is difficult and I had/have been waiting on another bow to be built with a different bowyer for a while so I decided I'd stalk Abe's inventory page daily/weekly until a lefty with the right numbers appeared.  I was jonesing for a 60" since it was likely the shortest that would be plenty smooth for my 29" draw.  Back in November Abe listed one lefty, but I wasn't taken by the woods, don't get me wrong, it was a beauty, but just not 'quite' what I was after.

Well, about a week ago there she was staring back at me on Abe's inventory.  Another lefty!  Lefty Tuktu EX, 60" 55@28, Koa and Chechen.  Game time...   :)    I read Koa and it was all over from there.  Koa has become one of my all time favorite bow woods since getting my hands on a Koa Thunderchild last year and here was the model I had been planning to find all ready to roll with Koa!  

I had Abe send me some more pics just for inspection (ogling!) and then had him throw a beavertail wrap on the bow prior to shipment.  My first Cari-bow had to have that detail   :)  

The bow took about 5-6 days total via UPS but it felt like 2 weeks LOL.  

I picked her up from UPS on my day off and got the box home and unpacked the beast.  The prior pics didn't do the bow justice.  It's SO handsome.  The Chechen riser looks more like a 'reddish' Bocote and I swear if you look close there's about 4-5 colors in the grain.  The Koa is nuts.  Pics don't show how the grain dances like some psychedelic geometric print when you move the bow around in the light.  Absolutely superb woods.  Fit and finish on par with any of the other top makers.  Under very very close inspection just enough indication that its made by human hands and not a robot.  Love it.  

The 'hooks' are outta control on this one.  I was amazed at the thinness yet rigidity of the limbs and how elegant and delicate the ends of the limbs/tips were compared to some bows out there.  But don't get me wrong, the graceful lines of this bow exude nothing but a sense of effortless power.  The grip just fills every bit of your hand and makes you forget the bow is separate from your arm.  Love it!  

It's a cinch to string with a stringer and Abe is adamant that one only use a stringer on this one.  

Strung up and ready to go!  String and nock point were in place on the unbraced bow as sent from Abe and I suspected the bow would be ready to shoot.  Yup   ;)  

I'm pleased to report that first draw confirmed all I had hoped drooling over this model for months.  Effortlessly smooth.  Early draw weight and a draw force that just gets sweeter the farther you go back toward 30".  You can just feel the energy build.  I pulled out my Centaur Triple Carbon to compare the draw feel and they were both feeling just as buttery.  The difference being the Tuktu built weight a bit sooner in the draw cycle by my reckoning.  My Triple is only 1# more so I made ready to shoot the same ~10gpp arrow from both out in the yard.

The first shots with the Tuk were pure fun.  The bow is surprisingly quiet.  Probably the trait I am most picky about on hi-po bows.  Shot back to back with the Triple, the Tuk is probably not far off in terms of noise which is awesome.  Their tones are different, one bow being boo-glass the other boo-carbon, but volume wise the Triple only seems to have a faint edge.  The Tuktu appears to have zero limb resonance on the shot, i.e. vibration, aftershocks, echoes LOL.  Just like the Triple, you release, the arrow is gone, and it all just STOPS.  Me likey!!  

The Tuk is also a blazer.  I mean quick!  Easily held its own with the Triple in terms of trajectory/ perceived point of aim and impact.  Actually I think the Tuk' is a bit faster than the Triple but I'd need a chrono to confirm that suspicion.  

Abe has created a truly awesome bow with the Tuktu EX.  To me it is just everything you could want in a recurve.  The strung profile alone is art to me.  Now that I've learned how sweet it shoots its just plain fun fun fun!   ;)   This bow has a character all its own.  The design is destinct so you know its a Tuktu when you see it and it shoots in a way that tells you the maker thought things through.

I've tried a nice little handful of static setups so far and there are so many great choices for us all out there..RER, Eaglewing, Bigfoot, Dryad come to mind...but as it stands for now this new bow from Abe is my choice in a recurve (trying to diversify from longbows/hybrids  :D  ) and I strongly suggest you give him a call if you are looking for your next recurve.  Abe is a super nice guy to boot and I enjoyed calling him after receiving the bow and giving some praise where I felt it was due.

And now...

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow!!! That koa always reminds me of fish skin. I love it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful Bow!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Really nice..........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice!  Abe builds a beauty and performer for sure.  Congrats on the excellant choice.  I had a hard time deciding what to order for mine......Tutku or Slynx.  Went with the 2pc Slynx.   Thats due at the end of the year.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Very nice!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
TD Tuktu in the pipeline now. I wake up in a cold sweat every night about 3 am just dreaming about it. Okay...maybe not...but I AM really looking forward to seeing my bow soon and getting that dude ready for a hunt!

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful bow and I think I know who your bow collecting mentor is that now shoots a caribow, now I may have to try one.Enjoy

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Thanks for the compliments guys.  They all belong to Abe.  He's the one who came up with this brilliant recurve.  I write these types of threads not from a 'look at me look at me!" stand point but from a desire to help any guy make a decision on a great bow or get some inspiration for a build.  And to show appreciation to the talented bowyers that make the tools of our favorite hobby.

Trying to capture how the light makes the Koa glow is a challenge but these pics do a decent job:

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful ! I want one !   :thumbsup:
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Gorgeous...congrats!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
I was one of the lucky ones to have a turn with Abe's pass around Tuktu. I still think about that bow. Hopefully I'll get another chance to shoot one again. It truly is a fantastic design. Both gorgeous and a pleasure to shoot. Maybe I should start stalking his inventory page. Congrats on a fine purchase.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Just amazing!
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©