3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Liberty longbow comparisons?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Liberty longbow comparisons?
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
Picked up a Liberty Chief Elite on a trade.  I've never shot a Liberty bow, but heard good things, and having my Dwyer Dauntless as my go to bow I figured I could move it along if needed.
Well...
To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.  Noticeably quieter than my dauntless and my dauntless is carrying an SBD string with plenty of cat whiskers.  A very slight thump is felt upon release, but in no way would I call it hand shock.  The biggest attribute of shooting this bow is a feeling of "solidity".  There is absolutely no vibration in the limbs after the shot like some whippy limbed bows can have.  Release, whump, the arrow is sent with finality.
I started at 15 yards with the first arrow (just a guesstimate on spine) and found myself walking back further and further with each successive arrow proportional to the increasing smile on my face.  Ended well beyond "my range" at 40 yards, and although I'm not Rod Jenkins, most fell into the kill zone.

I now have a serious dilemma in that my Dwyer was a precious gift from my family and now this cuckholding Liberty is screaming, "I like you, you like me, what's the problem!"
Good problem to have.

My question for you Liberty shooters is how does the Chief compare to Allen's other models?  My interest is piqued and I'm dying to know what joys the other models can offer?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Liberty longbow comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
I've owned 4 or 5 Liberty's all English models but my favorite is the new Classic with the straight grip and string follow straight limb design. This bow is buttery smooth on the draw and the nicest feeling straight limb long bow at the shot I've shot. Workmanship is typical Boice, flawless. It is a VERY fun bow to shoot.
Snag has a few Liberty's maybe he will chime in.
58+9

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
I have Chief Elite and English. Plenty of others in stable and I get to shoot plenty of other bows in the archery shop.  I added a rubber grip and some palmswelling as that is how I want it to feel for consistently.  Just me.

Almost all current bowyers create great bows.  Allen will not ship any defects!  Perfect craftsmanship.  Allen is a true gentlemen, too.

I think you are spot on in shootability.  Shoulder injury
Lets me shoot the Chief occasionally, but the English will be at the Safari this year as it is just flat pleasant.  His string follow bow is gaining a crowd for its shootability.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
My first Liberty was a Contender...loved it. Added an Edge when they came out...loved it. Then I made the mistake of shooting Allen's Classic Elite...it is an awesome longbow! So quiet, steady in the hand, love the straight grip, easy to hold on point through the shot, a very easy to shoot bow. Allen is a highly skilled craftsman and a good guy to work with.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
I have his Edge, Chief, Contender & Classic - all shoot great & workmanship is always top end. If you like speed, you might look at his Edge - my hunting bow the last 2yrs, though my Chief will get some hunting time this year.

Just got the Classic a little over a week ago, it's a really fun bow to shoot. Allen did something a little different with mine though....

My wife began archery 2yrs ago using a Edge not long after we met. A absolute newbe then, she's now become a excellent shot shooting a Edge and lately a Contender, both 50lbs at her draw. Says she doesn't want any other bows though she's tried others, very happy with what Allen has made for her.

You can't go wrong with a Liberty Bow and you'll not deal with a nicer guy  :)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
I haven't tried the Edge or Classic, but have owned a few contenders and Chiefs.  All are good bows. My preference is the Chief.  It has more r/d and thus a little more zip than the Contender.  Have one in my stable and always looking for another in the right weight/length.  Can't really go wrong with a Liberty in any model.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
as i mentioned in another thread, my first time to shoot a Liberty Chief was with your actual bow. i am a lefty, but shot your righty bow when my buddy Pat owned it. i put three arrows in a 3-4" group at 20 yards, right-handed!

that sealed it for me, and i ordered my own Chief the very next day. mine is very similar to yours, being bocote with tiger stripe myrtle lams on the limbs. haven't shot any of Allen's other bows, but they all have a solid reputation as great shooters with superb quality.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
Shdwhwk, did he change the riser on your Classic?
Also, are the limbs on the Classic much narrower than on the Chief?
The Chief's limbs are the same width as my Dwyer, the difference being that the Dwyer narrows more towards the tips whereas the Chief carries the width.
Mike

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Mike,

Do you only limit yourself to one bow?  You don't have to get rid of your Dwyer.  Also be aware of that "new bow" phenomenon  which tends to affect our clear thinking from time to time.  

I have started shooting old bows of mine I thought were "uninteresting" only to be wowed by our reunion again.

No doubt, the Liberty's are awesome bows though.  Allen does a nice job.

Kris

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Yep, asked for a bare locator grip with stimpling. Allen wasn't sure if he could or how it would work out. I get a call from him 2 weeks later saying he really didn't want to send it to me......ya, it shoots that good !!

Would've now like to have tried it without the stimpling first, don't know if it's as useful as it has been on the Edge & Chief. Either way the grip still feels great, glad I had it done.

Yes, the Classic's limbs are narrower than the Chief and the Edge's limbs are wider than the Chief's. Also, Allen seems to be narrowing the tips on his bows lately.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Kris, I hear you on the "new bow" phenomenon! but in my defense I waited a whole eight hours before posting it's awesomeness!
We're lucky to have a plethora of talented bowyers.
Mike

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I had a 64" Contender and now have a 62".  It's in dire need of a refinish, but is still a really nice shooting bow and has good performance as well.  I plan on hanging on to this one for a while.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I am wondering to what extent the Edge outperforms the Contender in the quickness category?

I love the appearance of the Contender but am leaning towards the Edge for competition.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
"cuckholding liberty"...about peed my pants! maybe you could have some poundage shaved off the limbs and give the dwyer to your wife...come out smelling like a rose and order another liberty. just a thought.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
shdwhwk, that is one stunning bow, wow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
New bow phenomenon can last up to two weeks.  Give it at least two weeks before even thinking of selling your Dwyer.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Pete, already had dwyer make my wife a dauntless last year!

Nope the dauntless is here to stay, sentimental or not and its first on deck for this falls bear hunt.
I did come into possession of an English model last Thursday.  It's a bit heavier than I've shot in a while, 60@28, and I was surprised at the cast of this bow.  It's 66" but handles 28" draw just fine.  Without silencers on the string it had quite a twang, but with silencers it's just that soft D bow thump.  
Couple sessions got me used to the poundage and shooting well.  Compared to the chief?   A hair quieter, touch more response on release, and again for a d bow it really sends an arrow.
Picked up the 51 lb dauntless for a few follow up shots and it felt like drawing one of my kids bows!  So much so that I'm gonna always keep a heavier bow around now just for training purposes!
Mike

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
In over 55years of shooting, I have never split a woodenarrow, robin hood style, until last weekend when my English at 15 yards did!  It is an easy bow to shoot.  The shop owner heard it hit, and commented that my groups had been shrinking, maybe too much!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
I have owned a English and a Contender. I shot the English the best. The Contender was a little smoother most likely due to it's RD design but the English was more forgiving.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I really love a Liberty Chief, a Chief was my first trad bow, but anything Allen makes is going to be exceptional.  Allen's aesthetics are really high, wood choices are harmonious, so a custom Liberty bow will be something that you'll treasure.  The Liberty Edge is a wonderful bow to shoot; beautiful, quiet, and fast.  My Liberty Edge is the bow that prompted me to write once before that Allen Boice was the Enzo Ferrari of bows.  I haven't shot the Classic, or the English, so I can't speak to their qualities.  However, I've read a lot about the Classic, and everyone is very impressed.  A recurring theme is that they all feel like the bow makes them a better shot, and inspires confidence.

This is my Chief with myrtle riser, and veneers.  

Here is a strung profile of my Edge, on a Chief blanket, coincidentally...

Unstrung...

Here is an unstrung photo of the Edge, Chief in the middle, and Contender.  Not a great photo, but good reference nonetheless.

On the Super Elite bows Allen does overlays at the limb tips, amongst other embellishments, that look very nice...

Best Regards, Chase
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©