3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: QUIVER INSERTS  (Read 346 times)

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
QUIVER INSERTS
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:23:00 AM »
I've been shooting traditional bows for forty years. The overwhelming majority of trad-archers I know prefer a bow without quiver inserts drilled into the riser. Quiver inserts often drive down the price of a vintage bow, as well. Why then, does Bear insist on making them standard on their bows. Seems to me they could market a great wrap quiver with the Bear logo raised in the leather hood and sell the snot out of them. There ya go, Bear...free idea. Run with it.

>>---MT--->
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: QUIVER INSERTS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Don't know if an overwhelming majority don't like quiver inserts, but certainly some don't.  I rather like them. I have a quiver of my own design similar to a side-mount Selway that works great on my Bear TDs. I much prefer the side bolt on quiver to slide-on or strap on quivers on Bear TDs.

Given the construction of the Bear TD riser, the two-pieces of slide-on or wrap on quivers end up being pretty far apart, particularly on B risers. This causes them to hold the fletched ends of the arrows close together, where they often touch each other and make noise at the shot. Of course, this is an issue with any long risered bows and slip-on or wrap on two-piece quivers.

I suppose Bear might consider making the inserts an option rather than standard.  Initially might satisfy more customers that way.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
I would have to agree with Orion.   I know many will have a different take on this, but many (most?) of the early Bear TD's had a quiver bushing in them.   Later bows had the converta-accessory insert on the front that could serve as a quiver attachment point with the adapter.  

I agree with possibly making it an option, but I would prefer the bushings.  I have wondered why Bear had the converta-accessory bushing on the newer bows.    Either way I'm happy Bear has began producing some of their recurves again.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
I like the bushings myself.  I have been around this stuff we now call "traditional archery" a loooooong time and we used to never fret over bows coming with inserts for various things--seems pretty recent.  In fact the whole big emphasis on beauty and cosmetics seems sort of new to this old timer!     :)    Used to be the first thing lots of us did with a new bow was spray paint it camo. We looked at bows as tools.

That being said, it seems like maybe it would be a good idea for Bear to leave it to their dealers to install the bushings if a customer prefers them but leave the bows plain.  Since you buy new from dealers they can pretty easily put them in.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:18:00 AM »
Good idea Mike - when I buy a custom bow I never get any bushings installed - strap on works for me.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
I might be in the minority here but I don't like a strap-on quiver.  I prefer a limb bolt style or slip -on Selway.  The riser mounts are nice for a guy who doesn't want to shoot with the quiver on the bow.  It allows him to use a Quickee or other QD. I am considering doing such this year.  One of the nicest such quivers is the Soft-Lok.  I use it on the compound and it is secure, adjustable for angle and height, and very quite if left on the bow for shooting.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
I use both strap-on  and side mount, but prefer the side mount. Has cleaner look. Easier to take on and off.  Regardless of preference, inserts gives the bow owner the option. So I am often surprised some are of the opinion inserts drives the bow value down.  If so, I guess any addition to a bow, I.e., wood choice, stapling, engraving is going to narrow ban of interested buyers.  Heck, in real estate they say to stick with white. Me, I'll stick with the custom options I like.  I know this website is full of archers doing the same.  Cheers.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
A strap on quiver is great for a one piece longbow, but I don't think a whole lot of them on a recurve or any three piece bows.  What I think "drives down the price" is after market installation, not original equipment.

I prefer the side mounts when I can get them.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©