3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange how things work.......  (Read 506 times)

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
Strange how things work.......
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
For many years I had a really good job as a journeyman pipefitter and master plumber. As of Christmas last year I had been layed for a year and a half. Now Dad started me out pulling a string at the age of four and I was hooked off of a borrowed longbow. I had my first recurve (Darton) at the age of five. When I got old enough I started shooting his Bear Kodiak Hunter until I was fourteen. I mowed yards and did whatever I could do until I nought a Golden Eagle Falcon in 1984...... a year later Dad and Mom gave a a Hoyt Huntmasterfor Christmas.  2013 was the absolute worst year in my life. Less than three weeks worth of work, I lost a house I was buying on contract thru theft and deception, and I had become a lover of firearms as well. By Christmas after over a year of being layed off I had sold all of my firearms which was pretty impressive. I finally left the trade as a union pipefitter/plumber the day after Christmas with a new employer.  I lost just about everything I owned of value....... I had some beautiful rifles, shotguns and handguns....... They all left to new homes. I had my first recurve, my first wheel bow, my Hoyt....... And a month ago Dad gave me the old Bear Kodiak Hunter he had that I shot as a kid.  The Darton is a child's bow........ It's a relic. The wheel now is another relic due to the abuse suffered by the the archery shop here in town (Gerts Archery that butchered it making a new string for it. My huntmaster the laminations seem to be separating so I can't shoot..... And Dads ols Bear..... Well he kept it in the attic and I am afraid to string it up and shoot it and destroy it. I guess I am holding on to a lot of memories but they all center around archery....... I may nit have a thing to pull a string on right now....... And The only firearm I have left is my Grandfathers 22 but these items are the very center of what I am. I get on this sight everyday and read read read and reply every once in awhile. Hopefully soon I can finally get a proper bow that I can shoot and hunt with but until then I enjoy my past and enjoy reading what you all are shooting everyday...... Thanks all   :)  ))
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange how things work.......
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 04:54:00 AM »
string up the old bear and shoot it. it will give you greater pleasure to shoot it than to look at it.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
Sounds like you need to head out west to the oil fields, they are begging for talented guys like you and will pay you in excess of 100K a year if you just show up.

A couple of years out there and you can buy all the guns and bows you want as well as get your financial world back on track.

I followed the work away from home in the 70s, moved three times, ended up in N Alabama 30 years ago and put down roots. Looking back I can see that moving off to work was one of the better things I did in my life.

Seems like it was a line in a John Wayne movie where he said "a man has to do what a man has to do".

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
I'm just worried what years and years in a hot attic did to it....... I followed work for years and it was hard on the family and it seemed you only got work when they decided to do their job and look for it. Hard on my family and that's why I was doing it. Plus my parents are getting older so I have to stay local. The company I'm with now doesn't pay near what I was making but I put up with nothing and go home very night. It is what it is and I have been very fortunate and am thankful but it's obvious to me that archery is very special.
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Yeah, and the present economy isn't helping, but what Eric said, should be investigated.

Good luck, I hope things get better for you.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Thank you. It's already better friend...... I enjoy where I work and what I do. The company I work for is centered around helping others who are troubled, challenged or less fortunate.... So that's a good thing.the last year has been challenging and made me reassess what's really important to me and rekindled my faith as well.
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Craig,
I will keep my eyes open for a bow. What length and weight are you searching for? Recurve, right?
I am assuming you are trying to match to some arrows you already have.

An archer without a bow is worse than a dog without a bone!

Doug
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Hello Doug, don't trouble yourself friend. I'll get one soon enough. By summer I will be able to get something. Thank you  ;)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I have been told that Samick sage limbs fit the Hoyt Huntmaster recurve( it was made by Samick) 3Rivers sells them for about $75. I had a Huntmaster for over 20 years. It was a good shooter. not the prettiest bow but the game I shot was just as dead.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the info  :)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
String up the bear!  It will work or it will break.  in the end, if you don't string it is lost opportunity and potential. If you do string it and it breaks, you still have a useless bow full of memories.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I guess that's a pretty good way of looking at it..... Think I'll have a new string made and give it a go  ;)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
I like that plan too.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
String up the bear!  It will work or it will break.  in the end, if you don't string it is lost opportunity and potential. If you do string it and it breaks, you still have a useless bow full of memories.
Exactly what he said. Let us know...
Live and let live.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 11:48:00 PM »
Who would you all recommend to make me a good string?
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
If I were gonna buy a string it'd be from SBD.
Live and let live.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
Agree with Cyclic-Rivers 100%!  If you decide to give it a go, I recommend using a stringer to string it up.  Go easy on it and listen for any bad sounds.  Once you've got it strung, let it sit strung for at least a half-hour or so.  Then draw it halfway and let it down several times, gradually working it up to full draw.  You want to ease the bow back into use.
Good luck!

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
Thanks..... I have a gentleman making me a string and will do your suggestion as to stringing it and easing it back into use. Thanks again gentlemen!  :)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Cmh, I say go for it. Bows were meant to be shot. By the way, I am a Union pipe fitter for the last 34 years . L U 373 in N Y. Work has been less than great around here as well. Lots of talented brothers on the bench.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
I can definately relate, 30 years as a carpenter, money was great in the 80's and 90's, since the economy tanked it's all I can do to keep afloat. Unfortunately at 54 it's all I know, all I've ever done. I too have had to part with a few guns to survive, but have managed to hold on to the bows. I am blessed with good health and a beautiful family so I can't complain too much. Keep your head up, and shoot that Bear!
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©