3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lost My hunting spot  (Read 711 times)

Offline redbeard126

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lost My hunting spot
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Yeah Joe, they really did a number on it. I think they're takin' even more!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
NO!!!!!!!!!!   :banghead:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Been there and I feel your pain.  It's a bitter and helpless feeling.

For 25 years I hunted one section that was 5,000 acres owned by a furniture company.  They decided to lease it to hunters and I don't pay to play.  I had a great ground blind and it was also good still-hunting territory.

That was the primary driver for my wife and I to find a rural home with acreage.  No regrets.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Joe, I don't know what your area is like, but if it is mature woods this is what I have observed :  the years after logging, it became a magnet for deer in our area. The reason I think is the tremendous amount of new growth draws deer in, so I would not necessarily give up on it.

I lived the scenario of gaining permission to hunt some land over and over again.  When my kids started hunting, I wanted a safe place to hunt without worrying about other hunters.  I bought a 120 acres and paid for it over time. For about the price of a car, it hs been a great investment.

Perhaps you can not afford it now, but there are other ways.  A couple of friends of mine got together with  another guy and bought some hunting land together and then divided it up into smaller affordable parcels- 80 acre lots I think.  They have enjoyed great deer, bear and grouse hunting for 15 years now.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
Hope your able to talk to the new owners..... It might help if you do so with the former owner as that may carry some weight if he is there to vouch for you. Good luck!!
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
How's the public hunting in your area? I hunt public and private here, but some of the public is pretty good. It takes more work, but lots of critters live on public land.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Todd Cook:
How's the public hunting in your area? I hunt public and private here, but some of the public is pretty good. It takes more work, but lots of critters live on public land.
We have some in my area but not real educated on it. A couple hours southeast is very good and I may end up checking it out here soon.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
I know how you feel, lost my spot a year ago, and spent last year looking for a new one, and ended up selling my house and buying one that hooks up with some state land here.  I spent this afternoon walking around, and found a couple spots that I think my Asbell wool will help me blend in good, plus a couple spots i can get a stand into.  Just have to put the leg work in and spend the time looking for those out of the way spots everybody forgets about, or over looks.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that .
The place I have hunted for  20 years is for sale also ;(

Hopefully the New owners will grant you permission !
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
been there done that. i just go look for another. i would ask the new owner he can only say NO!!! good luck i hope it works out for ya
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
It took me 10 years to pay for 15 acres of land surrounded by 200 plus acres that I am blessed to be able to hunt.  Ten year mortgage lifetime of hunting privacy, started 20 years ago and nothing has changed. Very blessed.  Just sayin it can be done.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Tough break Muzzy. Hope you can strike a new deal. It is getting to damn hard these days to find a reliable good piece,unless you own your own. Good luck,rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
It's frustrating for sure. I grew up on a farm with close to 600 acres and had the run of it as the only grandchild then my grandfather passed away from Cancer and my uncle took over. He called me up one evening and said " he was running the farm now and no family was welcome there anymore" so after hunting the same place from 86-2001 I was forced to leave my own family farm. Then the current place I have hunted since has been sold so it's stinks to start over. I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old son so my motivation is to buy my own farm one day so they have a place to hunt.

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Aaron, sorry you lost your spot. Sucks for sure. Not sure where in the state you are, but I'll try to keep my eyes open for you. I don't mess with private myself, but I know a lot of farmers down here in Athens and Meigs counties. And if you decide to try the public in southeastern Ohio I can help there too.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
Unfortunatley the only guarantee in life is change....and that has never changed!

good luck, BIgJim
well said

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Find out who the new owner is and offer to pay his property taxes, or a large chunk of them, for exclusive hunting rights. Nobody should expect to be able to hunt private land owned by others, as a stranger basically unknown to the landowner, for free.

Being able to hunt private land is a quid pro quo. The landowner offers the hunter something and the hunter should offer something equal in value to the opportunity to access that land. In todays world, a case of beer, offering a few hours of labor or some venison doesn't cut it because it's not equal to what the landowner offers, when taxes and expenses far outweigh that small benefit to the landowner than many hunters offer.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
This has happened to me many times. It's understandable when the land is sold as the new owners and me are strangers to each other. What hurts is when other family members take over and exclude you from there hunting fraternity.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by cmh:
Hope your able to talk to the new owners..... It might help if you do so with the former owner as that may carry some weight if he is there to vouch for you. Good luck!!
That would be my suggestion too. I'd ask the former owner whom you must know at least pretty well, to introduce me to the new owner. Maybe all is not lost?
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
My primarily spot is Government land and just hope to get drawn to hunt it each year.  
 :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
The two main places i hunt are Federal land. It about drove me nuts this past season durning the 17 day shutdown.
 I use to have a bunch of private lant to hunt on. i ended up not hunting it anymore due to having to run off tresspassers all the time.
I love Bow Hunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©