3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Appreciating bowyers  (Read 426 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Appreciating bowyers
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
What possesses a someone to want to make bows for a living? The bowyer who built my current bow has given it up to work in the North Dakota oilfields. He felt feeding his family was more important than building bows. So what drives someone to work long hours in the shop,missing fishing trips, vacations, and other events to make bows that others will hunt with? I for one am grateful for such men. I  think we often don't appreciate what they do for us. For all of you who make bows for the the rest of us, THANK YOU!!

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Appreciating bowyers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
AMEN to that brother !

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Great post.  Thank you to all these craftsman.  I'm in awe sometimes when I hold some of my bows.      :notworthy:
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Ditto that!
   :clapper:

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Can't say I'm not envious of their talent...... Would enjoy being able to do it but no clue where to start  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
I have no talent, except maybe the ability to put their works of art, to work, at least that's in my own mind. So, yes I really admire them, I know, with patience, most of us can probably build a bow but, then there are the few than can not only build a bow but, also make it a work of art, my hats off to them all.

Thanks
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
I do appreciate each and every bowyer that I have bows from. I know that I may drive a couple of them crazy from time to time. I honestly think that each and every one of the bowyers that I know would be great fishing/ hunting buddies if they lived closer.

Jared, we will go hog hunting when your schedules allows a trip down south.  :)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Its raw passion

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I feel good about the world when I can make a living with my hands.  Taking a order from someone that trusts me or my reputation makes me feel good about my place in life.  Second, third or fourth order from a customer gives me the warm fuzzy's I never received in my previous jobs.  Everyone should be able to find a job where they can sleep good at night knowing they are learning something every day and taking care of their family.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
I make all my own, and sell one occasionally if someone really wants one, but can't imagine trying to make a living out of it. Those fellows earn every penny they charge.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
I started out because I was so broke I could not afford what I wanted. After the first bow I was hooked. I am an addict. I love this and if I had to do it free I would do it if I could. I suspect that a lot of us are like that. I heard that if you do what you love you will never work a day of your life.

God bless and I am sure I am not the only one that appreciates those that appreciate what we do.

Steve

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
Amen....I have had bowyers act embarrassed because they thought they were charging me a lot of $$ for their work.....which is not the way I see it at all. These guys are true craftsmen, and make very little in profit. There is no such thing as a financially rich bowyer. I don't remember if it was Jerry Brumm or Steve Turay who said "The way to make a small fortune building bows is to start out with a large fortune!"

I have mega-respect for our bowyers.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
The video recently posted of South Cox building the bow was eye opening for me. Between all the materials and the time involved I was shocked. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the bowyers!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
I started making bows for myself and grandkids and can tell you I could have bought some nice bows for the price of equipment and materials I've got in it. Bowyers don't get paid enough.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Special people indeed!!!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
The level of talent that is out there in the bowyer industry is incredible. They certainly deserve more recognition. I would love to learn how to work a piece of wood into a bow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Some people whine when they see a $600-$1000 price tag on a custom bow but if they would just do the math and subtract materials, overhead, and all the other associated costs most bowyers prolly pay themselves a pretty average to meager wage in today's economy to produce functional artworks.  As one who is also involved in the creative arts I admire their dedication and passion for what they do.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
What a great thread! I was talking to Jim of Centaur Archery today and We got to talking about what it's like to build bows for a living. It isn't an easy living and you certainly don't make much money at it. But the people who do it love it and they are true craftsman that produce beautiful functional art for us all to enjoy. God bless them.

There are so few things still handmade in the US. It is really special that our bows are mostly still made by talented craftspeople in the US of A.

Without bow builders there would be no traditional archery.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Some people whine when they see a $600-$1000 price tag on a custom bow but if they would just do the math and subtract materials, overhead, and all the other associated costs most bowyers prolly pay themselves a pretty average to meager wage in today's economy to produce functional artworks.  As one who is also involved in the creative arts I admire their dedication and passion for what they do.
I also didn't realize they have to pay an extra 11% tax on top of the normal IRS bull.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
It really is a blessing to have so many talented bowyers today and to me they epitomize the craftsmanship, work ethic and integrity of standing behind ones work that seems to be somewhat lacking in many venues today.
Each bow I've owned, from the upper echelon "big names" like Centaur and Toelke, to those made by newer aspiring bowyers has each provided some quality, a reflection of the man behind it, that's unique and desirable.  Like all women, if you just spend enough time with her you'll find something that makes her special, unique and lovely, so too each bow, regardless of price or wait time, possesses attributes in and of their own.
Luckily, they're easier to break up with!
Great thread and many thanks to the bowyers out there.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©