3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I dream of moose  (Read 872 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
I dream of moose
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I don't know why but I've always dreamed of hunting moose with my stick bow. I announced to my wife the other day that I was going for my 40th birthday (6 years away).  So if you all were me what would you be doing now?  Any stories or experiences you care to share?  I'm thinking Canada, guided or semi-guided.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I dream of moose
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Have you decided on Canada moose or Yukon moose sub species.  Many diff experiences can be sought, jet boat trip, fly in, drive in farm land/park land.  If I was going to pay I would go to the NWT/Yukon or Northern BC for Yukon moose on a jet boat trip.  All provinces offer a unique and different experience.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
I'm just an average Joe, it would appear Newfoundland would be more affordable.

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
A moose hunt is the top of my bucket list...... I'm set to go to Forty-Mile river Alaska if I can ever make it  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Well Brad,  I have been in your state of mind many times since I was 17.  Last year I finally made the trip and hunted moose in Newfoundland - I am 64.  I loved it so much that I have already booked and paid my deposit for this year at the same camp.  While I would love to hunt MacKensie River Moose, my budget just can't get there so I hunted Nfld and absolutely loved it.  I figure for the cost of one MacKensie River trip I can hunt Newfoundland three times and for me that's a winner.  The moose aren't as big in NFLD but I really don't care - I hunt with a stick bow and any moose is a trophy..............and it was last year.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Nfld all the way. Just did it last year and it was awesome. Lots of moose and great people on that rock. I would go back in a heartbeat.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Listen to Pete, Brad...I was you 10 years ago. Told the wife I was going to hunt elk out west for my 40th...I'll be 45 in a couple of weeks and it hasn't happened yet. Lots of reasons but sum it up as "life happens"...I'd say set your goal to go, set the $ aside and just do it. A buddy of mine went to Newfoundland for moose and said it was awesome.

I hope to get there in the next 3 years or so

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I'm seeing a lot about Nfld...... I'm gonna have to read up on this  ;)  sounds like it much more possible than what I was thinking about  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I'm not opposed to a fly in trip somewhere. I already own an assortment of high end backpack hunting equipment and have some experience with true backcountry adventure.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
If you want a true wilderness camp then go to Alaska and get dropped off somewhere.  I think you can do that as an American resident?  I don't think there's anywhere in Canada where you can get dropped off without a guide, even semi guided is technically illegal I'm most of Canada.  

Newfoundland sounds like a great place to hunt, not huge bulls but lots of them and high success rate, a bonus is you get to hang out with some of the nicest people in the world (east coasters are cool!)  Alaska and Northern Canada actually have very sparce moose populations but it's where the big ones live.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Moose hunting in some areas of Canada does not require a guide.  I don't know the regs in all the provences but in the Zecs of Quebec a guide is not required.  In Ontario a guide is not required but you do have to buy your license from an outfitter.  

On the other end of the spectrum, in Newfoundland everyone who isn't a resident of Newfoundland/Labrador including other Canadians must use an outfitter.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Check out Tao from Ontario

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Sorry Steve but that is insufficient information - Is Tao a person or a place or an outfitter or what?  There is no one by that handle on Tradgang and googling isn't working either.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
that's my dream hunt too.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Steve sent me an email address via pm but it didn't work. I have no idea who Tao is either.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
I have my 4th moose trip booked for 2015 as a present to myself for my 60 th birthday. They are an awesome animal to hunt with stick and string.

see my highlight threads from 2011 and and 2008 .

Make a life, not a living

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Good idea to book a hunt now and save for it, as you are looking at close to $5000 for a NF moose hunt, maybe more.

But to all you dreamers:  why in the world wait for 6 years?  you could be dead by then.  Don't you know that you can still apply in at least 4 states and have a chance of drawing a relatively cheap moose tag and bowhunting moose this fall, for $1500 or less if you are any good at planning and budgeting?

I've done the $5000 NF guided moose hunt - it was great.  I've also done two DIY moose hunts in two different states for a whole lot less, that were a whole lot more fun.  I am applying in 4 states this month, to try and do it again.  Again, why wait?
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
I didn't know that.  Which 4 states ?  I can't do anything this fall but after next year could work.

Littlebigman, I could only find the highlight from 2007. Still using AWGS or do you like someone else better now.

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
On my list as well.  Currently dreaming about the possibility as I sent in my lottery apps for moose, elk and sheep. Every year I get my hopes up. No luck yet, but it is fun to think about.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Sincerely hope you fulfill your dream.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©