3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I dream of moose  (Read 875 times)

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I dream of moose
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Abe, I hope your hunt and trip is glorious.  It sounds like a wonderful time.

John

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
Abe I think you may have something there. It's almost like I need something to plan for, to train for, to dream about. It's what will keep me going the extra shifts at work and the extra miles of training and watching what I eat.

Had a long talk with the wife tonight and she is ok with 2017. It's not tomorrow, but 3 years is better then 6!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:00 AM »
Sounds like a heck of an adventure Abe! In the end, that's really all most of us are seeking. If big antlers come walking and rocking...that's a huge bonus.

John Havard....bull moose and blueberries! I love that picture. Thanks for your knowledge over the years.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Thanks John
I'm impressed with the size of the rack but what really gets me is the distance between the eyes. That must have been a brute to handle.
One other thing is the river is a brook trout spawning river and the last 4 days of our trip the season opens up for angling. I have never caught brook trout out natural water so this is a bonus.

Kevin  Adventure with possibilities and family and or friends to share it with.
Abe

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
This thread has taken a wonderful and interesting path...thanks to all that shared the information so far and I hope this conversation continues.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
I will be heading on a 12 day Alaskan float trip for moose in early September. Very exciting! I hunted Alberta last year and this will be a much richer experience!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Abe, that will be a grand trip..... Never thought about a float trip and I love to canoe. I will say I have read and re-read all this and it's full of great info and suggestions that will hopefully  help me plan my own moose hunt..... Thanks  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Couldnt afford it this year if I drew the tag but next year I am going to start applying for montana moose. $75 bucks a year to get points. It is my dream hunt for sure. This is a good thread for sure.
Brandon

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
seems like the last few years there  have always been left over non res. tags for the Idaho panhandle.
As I recall they are something like $2500.00,to rich for my blood bur pretty reasonable compared to Alaska or Canada
Tim

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Abe...now that sounds like a good adventure. Will you take just one canoe? I talked to a guy in BC about doing a float hunt in northern BC but that ended when we found out as a US citizen I must have a licensed guide.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Steve
We just ordered a freighter canoe which is 17ft square stern with a 44" beam. We will have a kicker motor for it also. We fell this will work for all of us and a moose. The motor will give us the option to move back up the river and deliver the moose or camp to the end of the river. We will be working out the details of the size of motor we will to make it work for us.
I am leaning towards a 6hp 4 stroke.
Abe

Offline AKstickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
I live and Hunt interior Alaska and like it has been said before during moose season there are alot of people and not alot of moose but tell you what if you want to get into moose you have to ditch the jet boat and atvs and get out away from where all the main trails are there is so much pressure and not alot of moose, I pack drag and paddle my way back into sloughs and hike from there you can hear air boats they always stop and ask you seen anything we havnt, I see moose mainly cows and smaller bulls that they never will because they have excellent hearing and when you have a 350running at max rpm its hard to sneak up.
you win some you lose some its just important that you are in the race.

Offline mpauls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Great thread!! I look forward to a hunt report with pics Abe!! Keep us posted!

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Mpauls
I've been dreaming and planing about this hunt more then elk season. Really I'm just keeping my mind off elk because I can't go till maybe next year. Although moose is another big passion of mine. The build up for this is making this allot of fun.
Good luck with the elk and keep me informed.
Abe

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
Wow, this thread has me thinking about AK sooner than later!  I'm committed to my first moose hunt in Alberta.

I'm pretty locked in for CO elk in 2015 but if the Moose bug bites me...things can change.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
after listening to Monty Browning at the Compton Tent at NCTAR......and another person mentioning they are taking a trip down Moose John....I am seriously going to start my savings this year and try and book one for 2016...as 2015 I have plans for a bear hunt.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©