3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude  (Read 1682 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
I will probably get jumped all over for this but I have to express what I'm seeing.

I've been shooting recurves for over 50 years. When I started there was no  "traditional" archery we were all just Bowhunters or Archers. As compounds came into their own there became an elitist attitude among them where they looked down at the recurve and longbow shooters. They also developed somewhat of a snobby attitude toward each other. Now I see a lot of admiration for what we can do with our bows.

Now what I'm seeing on different forums is a complete reversal of roles. The "traditional" shooters are developing the same attitude toward the high tech archers and even among the ranks of traditional shooters.

Now I do have to say that when I go to some of the various rendezvous there still exists a tight camaraderie.

If we are to maintain what we all love to do, shoot arrows at things, shouldn't we try to find a more common ground?  Or the famous quote "can't we all just get along"?  

How do you feel about this? Have you seen the same?  Why?

Try to keep it a civil discussion.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Funny but I have to say people are just too senstive. I happen to love trad archery and just love shooting trad bows. but.....I will hunt with my compound every now and then. I have had people make comments on both sides trying to get me to commit one way or the other. Well being a prostaff hunter for compounds andowning some of the finest trad bows made and shooting them every day shows I can commit to both and have a lot of fun doing it . No comment has changed my level of fun!!! Just enjoy the time.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Sadly, some think the bow makes the man.  How rediculous.

If people treated each other with respect and courtesey, we would all be a lot better off...

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
No compounds for me,but hey, if that is your choice that is ok with me.  Crossbows are another story,at least when they are used in the "archery season".

Good Shooting,
                                                             Craig

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I suffer from the love of archery... all aspects....

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Its not elitist when you are better than them   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
I see it more and more, sad to see.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Excel and make no comment on others choices.  There was a guy who frequented So Cal shoots in the1980's who wore THE hat, back quiver, talked a lot and missed even more.  Not an endearing person for trad.  I had a Brackenberry I shot occasionally in those days.  I found that guy,who may be on this site, a bore as he could not walk the walk, only talk it.
At the archery shop, many compounder tell us they do not have the patience to shoot trad bows, but would like to
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
Excel and make no comment on others choices.  There was a guy who frequented So Cal shoots in the1980's who wore THE hat, back quiver, talked a lot and missed even more.  Not an endearing person for trad.  I had a Brackenberry I shot occasionally in those days.  I found that guy,who may be on this site, a bore as he could not walk the walk, only talk it.
At the archery shop, many compounder tell us they do not have the patience to shoot trad bows, but would like to
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I just like to shoot arrows and like all people who enjoy doing the same thing. I don't really care what they use for a launcher.

I have seen the snobbery before but usually this people are ignorant or are compensating for something.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
People are people regardless as to what they shoot. I snub my nose at no man or woman for the archery equipment one chooses. I at one time shot an compound bow. Maybe like some of you. I had to start somewhere.  
I think picking up a traditional ANYTHING in a generation of hi tech. Requires a certain level of understanding and "maturity".  Don't get caught up in the semantics of the word "maturity". Not saying those who shoot compound bows are immature. But maybe Havnt grown to love more of a romantic form of the sport.
The method we choose. Is not easy. It takes time, patience and practice.  It's not for everyone.
Shooting compound bows. Admittedly. Allows for more opportunity at longer ranges, and heck. Who doesn't want more opportunity? But for us. It's about the journey, and the hunt. If we make the kill. Big Plus!
I say. If there's a compound shooter you know. Or next to you at the range. Let him try, let them play.  You just may convert someone.
Either way be kind. And friendly to others.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Lead by example.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhg:
Lead by example.

Joshua
X2.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
There are jerks in every segment of the population.  I have however found that most outdoorsmen, especially those that pursue niche markets, are overwhelmingly generous and kind individuals.  Those that take the extra time and money to put into things like traditional archery, black powder, fly fishing, bushcraft, etc seem to be the type to value the experience more than the result and those groups in my experience tend to be the most welcoming overall.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
I think it goes both ways and there are those types in both camps. Most all trad and wheel guys I know are good folks, but there are a few on both sides that I do not wish to be around at all.

Bisch

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
I think you are right. I even see it on here sometimes. It could just have a lot to do with each others individual personalities also. Some people that act that way could be that way in every single aspect of their lives.

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
It does not matter to me what type of Bow you shoot, the problem that I have is allowing Cross Bows to be used during archery season. Since we are allowing Cross Bows then what next, Firearms?  If this trend continues there will not be an Archery Season.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Let people shoot whatever they want.  Heck, I took second place one time to a guy shooting a crossbow!  The thing is, I shoot to have fun.  Overcoming a big challenge is more fun for me than overcoming a small one.  Guys shooting with sights (compound or recurves) gripe when they miss the X, trad shooters exult when they get a bullseye.  Who's having more fun.  Shoot what you want and let the other guy shoot what he wants.  Just have fun and enjoy each other.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
I see that mostly coming out of youngish guys who are relatively new to what we call "Traditional Archery". I have never felt the same....heck, I even hunted with a compound for a season and a 1/2 back in the 80's. I shoot in a league, sidexside with compound guys, and have never had a cross word. We respect each other as MEN....the bow in our hand has nothing to do with it.

Here in Michigan, we recently went through the "crossbow wars". Big business came to town, and decided they wanted our seasons opened up to increase their equipment sales. It got ugly. I'm not particularly proud of some of the things I said and wrote (except when I called the one guy a "Carpet Bagger and "Traitor to Bowhunting"....I kinda liked that). But in the end we lost.

I can promise for sure....unless I am with someone who is physically unable to shoot a bow....I will never hunt with a crossbow shooter. But I have several good friends who hunt with compounds.

I also hate that "elite" has become a bad word. Rangers are "elite". Top athletes are "elite". While the mere possession of a traditional bow doesn't make one elite, it shows you have at least the beginning desire to excel at a challenging sport. Nothing wrong with that....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I have noticed also that many non-hunters-older ones at least, seem to be more pleased when they see you are hunting with the bows they saw in the old Robin Hood movies and on old TV shows.  I have actually been given permission to hunt (after initially being given dirty looks) when they saw the long bow in my truck, saying "Oh, you're hunting with the kind of bow you're supposed to."  Non-hunters do notice what we hunt with, how we hunt, how we act, and what we say.  I think it would behoove archers to be more accepting of others equipment.  Nothing the matter with good natured joking, though.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©