3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude  (Read 1685 times)

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
The only prejudice I have in the world of archery is against crossbows used in archery season by people who are not physically hadicapped. Personally I would rather use a gun in appropiate season instead of a xbow in bow season. What equipment people use is up to them as long as they develope the efficiency to use them- which the game deserves. I have fun shooting the bows I have and don't care about "score", it is about the time in the woods I practice for and making the shot when it counts. To each their own.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Selfbow said it well. I have seen this attitude from non hunters also. I have nothing against compounds, shot them for years, I also tried to help a teenager get started bowhunting. We found a recurve for him, but he gave up. I always wished I had presuaded him to get a compound. He could have learned to shoot it well quickly and may have stuck with bowhunting.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
I think the "Elitists" live side by side with bigfoot and eastern mt. lions. I have never seen an elitist in the field, Ive heard of them but Im not sure if they even exist anyplace other than cyberspace.

Ive shot with compound shooters on the  3d range at my club more times than I can count and never had more than a bit of good natured ribbing. Never have I seen a traditional shooter talk down on wheel hunters other than like I said,,, on the internet.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
I don't see this as a change, there have always been people with "elitist attitudes" on both sides of the fence. This was probably at its worse in bowhunting in the late 70's and early 80's during the transition to compounds.  A lot of people then felt going to a compound was cheating or not real bowhunting while people with compounds felt no one could kill anything with the historic archery equipment.  

I agree with Roger that elite is a good thing if you are basing it on performance and not by what equipment you buy.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I have friends that shoot compounds and don't hold it against them. I do try my best to put one of my bows in their hands at least once. I want them to feel what I feel with you shoot our bows.

I have guided guys who couldn't hit a bull in the butt at ten feet with ANY weapon. I do look down my nose a bit when someone comes to the field with every known gadget in the world and cannot shoot ethically, but it applies to all groups: compounders, trad guys, tweeners. If you draw your bow, can hit what you are shooting at, I don't care if you have wheels or not. I do however, try to encourage all of my friends to try life without let off  :)  

For instance: I am going bear hunting with two guys this summer. The first went elk hunting with me 5 years ago. He with a compound, me with a recurve. I killed something, he did not. I never pressured him or made him to feel inferior, but when he asked, I gave him a bow. He will be hunting with a new Stalker longbow South made him this year. The other guy is a lefty, diehard compound guy. He is coming hunting with me...and he has a new bow I bought for him. He will leave Canada with a bear most likely killed with a compound bow, but I will almost guarantee he will dive right in with the recurve I have for him at some point! So, you catch more flies with honey...and being a snob in terms of equipment has no place in the world of archery when it is threatened by weapons that have as much to do with a bow as turd has with a diamond.
Mike Davenport

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
I personally have never seen it, but I have always hunted and interacted with a fairly small group of people when it comes to archery.  My twin brother and my best friend are my two favorite people in the works to hunt with.  They both shoot compounds, I shoot a recurve and have since I started bowhunting in my teens.  Both these guys are good, ethical, and very successful hunters.  Never once has a word been mentioned about my choice to use a stickbow, or theirs to use a compound.  No doubt these people do exist.  I have never been involved in an archery club, but I imagine such a thing would prevail there the most, as is often the nature of clubs.  Someone above said that there are bad apples in almost every walks life, I agree. I am glad I have never run across it myself.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
I had a nice conversation with a compound shooter once. His claim was that in shooting a compound, the hunting skill was when you could shoot a deer at over 60 yards. My comment was that I thought hunting skill was when you could stalk a nice buck and then reach out and slap him on the rear with your bow. He's still trying to figure that out.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
'Elite' should be a positive adjective (or noun in some cases) given as a compliment or honor by another. Like many superlatives, it gets used too often and to excess.

Elitism or Elitist thinking really happens when a guy starts thinking of himself (or group) as better than others by comparison. That's a complete turn-off for me...I walk directly away from those who appoint themselves this way.

For bowhunting with traditional gear: If extreme accuracy and prowess with the bow was a necessary criteria, I wonder how many 'elite' traditional guys exist? Count me as average.    :)

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
I hear it all the time...Mostly while people have a bunch of like minded "friends" around hoping for support.
What they don't know is how many of the people they converse with disagree as they don't want to say.

I hear all the time " I shot this BUCK/BULL or whatever, but I did it with a "__________". fill in the blank but it wasn't a trad bow. They actually come off a little dissapointed.

Be proud to be an ethical hunter no matter what your choice of "legal" equipment you use.
We can be our own worst enemy!
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
I think the "Elitists" live side by side with bigfoot and eastern mt. lions. I have never seen an elitist in the field, Ive heard of them but Im not sure if they even exist anyplace other than cyberspace.

Ive shot with compound shooters on the  3d range at my club more times than I can count and never had more than a bit of good natured ribbing. Never have I seen a traditional shooter talk down on wheel hunters other than like I said,,, on the internet.
Funny how people change when someone stands face to face with them...So true IZZY.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
I have seen it myself and it is sad. I have friends who complain every time someone gets a compound out. Some of my friends shoot compounds.

Don't slam anyone for their choice. Encourage ethics to everyone and provide a group environment is how I try to live.

As Matty said offer them your bow for a round of arrows. They may like it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Too quick to respond to your post Izzy. Just read it again. HA! And I STILL AGREE...   :D

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Gerardi:
Too quick to respond to your post Izzy. Just read it again. HA! And I STILL AGREE...    :D  
Mike, don't try telling me you saw bigfoot in an Ohio woodlot. I don't even think you have deer out there.   :p

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
I must agree with how Charlie so gracefully put it ! I really don't care what type of archery equipment a person uses, that even goes for a traditional crossbow, ( no wheels ).

I think most of the problem comes from the use of binoculars and rangefinders for the purpose of taking a shot, length of time being the main issue.

But I have shot with all types of archers, though I will admit to having a preference for my Trad buddies.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Great points made.  I personally have zero interest in compounds anymore, I'd rather go shoot bullets.  I have friends who love their wheel bows and we encourage each other and give each other tips when it comes to hunting.  They appear to respect my choice when comes to hunting with a stick bow.  Freedom of choice.  Though elitist or not I do think it takes far more effort and discipline to become proficient shooting a stick bow vs a compound.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I've shot both compounds and trad equipment with some of the best in the world in both disciplines. Arrogance is arrogance- pretty equal across the board. No surprise that the very top trad guys are pretty humble and have been a great help to me.

I do see a newfound respect for Trad equipment by wheel bow guys that was less accepting a few years back.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
I think I take alot more crap from my wheelie counterparts than I dish out but it goes both ways in hunting camp. We also bash each others choice in vehicles, camo pattern, women, and beer.

Thats just the nature of it ...

At the end of the day though, I'm happy to have another person to shoot arrows with whether it's compounds or recurves. I actually like it when theres a mixture of equipment in camp.

Alot of the time it works out really nicely, some stands are just better suited to the range of a compound and others are better suited to the near silence of the longbow ... I think we are able to make the best use of our camp by having guys with all different levels of skill, experience, and equipment.

I'm always gonna try to get some new converts, but I don't make it adversarial, usually it's just me gifting people bows and hoping they show up ready to hunt with it next year.

This year my brother in law, and a hunting buddy already got bows, my father in law, another brother in law, and another hunting buddy will also get new bows and arrows.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
As a former IBO hunter class shooter have had the fortune to be around some real good wheel bow shooters. Heck even got a semi-pro shooting his dads old Bear recurve. I personally don't own a compound anymore but stand side by side with them at shoots. Met and meet a lot of great people in both forms of archery. Would like to see us just coexist and have fun. My wife and I shoot all the time me with my Stewart longbow and her with her Bowtech having FUN!!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I replied to this post on the "other" forum, (from where it got axed) and after giving it some thought, I really don't know why it even needs addressed.  Not in the archery realm.  There's enough of it elsewhere, let's keep this "hollowed ground".
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Yeah I like to poke guys in the ribs at camp if they shoot a compound. God help them if the gadgets are not working right as they sight their bow in or something. All in good clean fun. If they get a bit sensitive I might just ride them a bit harder. What goes around comes around and I fully accept the ribbing I might get in return. Folks just can't get to serious about this stuff. Why people care about what the other guys shoot is beyond me. It in no way effects my hunting or what I like to do.
lll

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©