3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VIEWPOINT-Elitist Attitude
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by atatarpm:
I choose to shot a trad bow to master myself not to master others
Yep, that's about how I feel too. I've shot a longbow since the late 90's, but before that I killed a LOT of critters with a rifle and compound. I just lost my taste for it.

I like to tote my longbow and wood arrows, chasing pigs and deer and turkeys, and whatever else I can chase. But it's because it makes me happy. If hunting with another legal weapon makes someone happy, that's what they should do.

I do not, however, agree with crossbows in archery season. Doesen't make me right, just think they belong with firearms.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I think it goes both ways and there are those types in both camps. Most all trad and wheel guys I know are good folks, but there are a few on both sides that I do not wish to be around at all.

Bisch
X2 plus I can add, I don't wanna be around these same people anytime!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
I don't see much of one archer thinking they are somehow above another.  When I do see it is on a website where the vibe comes from someone I don't know.  Most of the time I give the "stranger" the benefit of the doubt and figure he is a good fellow that I just don't know, and am misreading.

I almost never, in fact I can't remember the last time, meet someone or spend time with someone who has a better than others attitude. I am pretty picky though about who I spend time with and especially so when hunting.

Most of the criticism I get is from myself.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Did you ever notice?

It's not just in archery, but in all walks of life.

When someone thinks they are better than others, and has to declare it themselves....(ex: I am the best...)

Well, they are usually doing so to cover a flawed or missing personality trait.

Actions speak loudly.

Anyone can talk the talk.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Exactly, ford/ chevy, Bronco / Seahawks, democrat/ republican, You suck because your form this place or that place, carbons/woods/ aluminums, longbow/recurves/hybreds.  It never stops, but it's all annoying.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Ford and Seahawks....of course.  No politics or religion on Trad gang.  All the rest I can go either way!!    :thumbsup:  

Some people get it...some don't.   Some learn tolerance and
Mutual respect....some never will!      :dunno:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Taste great, less filling!    :laughing:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
Guys...let's just shoot!   :archer:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
I have seen elitism on both sides of the issue, which is a sad thing. What is "better" is simply a preference of an individual archer. I don't care much for compounds and have never owned one, but that does not mean that there is anything wrong with those who like them.

It is fine that we see a more rewarding experience with trad gear, but there is nothing here that makes us better sportsmen, but rather, it means that we prefer an additional challenge.

If a compound hunter hunts legally and ethically, he deserves the same respect and consideration that we give ourselves.

On the other hand, we need to remember that many of the compound shooters who hold traditional archery in disdain simply don't know anything about it. How many times have we had conversations with wheelie bow shooters who wound up wanting to try out our stuff?

In short, no matter how seriously we take our sport, in the end we are all going out to play!  Both sides should play nice and show respect. We are all bow hunters, so let's concentrate on the common ground, not criticize choice of equipment.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this has bothered me for a long, long time.
Sam

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
My two hunting buddies shoot wheels and we get along fine.  More than once they have offered me the closer shot, or set up in a tight location and I pass on the long ones. I made a string for one of their old recurves and it gets shot on occasion now.  This has worked well for us for years.

I had an out of state hunter come into our base camp who had blown up his compound on an accidental dry fire and I offered to let him use one of my stick bows.  He said he wouldn't know what to do with it, but asked if I knew of a local archery shop where he could maybe get his cables replaced. I recommended a few shops in towns several hours away.  He made the trip and got his compound fixed and was back in business. I had him pick me up some fish hooks while he was in town too.  We should all show mutual respect and courtesy, because we all need each other to make this work.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
The compound bows of today are so far removed from the world of recurves/longbows, that it's hard to compare the two.

However, I started with a Bear compound in 1985 (I was 19 years old), and was extremely proud of it. It was a really big thing to me, and changed my life. At the time, I didn't think recurves and longbows were still available. Imagine if someone came up to me and gave me crap about not shooting a recurve.  I would think those people were real jerks.

And thats what happened.  I was drawn for the 1989 McAlester Army Ammunition Depot hunt in SE Oklahoma. A third of the hunters shot traditional.    Most of them couldn't hit the side of a barn, but several made sure to point out how much better they were since they shot recurves/longbows.

Anyway, I switched to a recurve in 1993. But I was surprised last fall when I went hunting with a buddy in Tennessee. He didn't like my carbon arrows; they weren't traditional enough!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I started with trad equipment before it was trad. Just archery equipment. Got in on the compound fad but never used sights. Ditto for two older brothers... compounds but no sights.

We stopped in an archery shop in NC on vacation and the owner asked what type of sights we used on our bows back home... when my brother said, "we don't use sights"... he came unglued! He ranted and raved and actually seemed to want to whip all three of us over it.

That is as close to "elitism" that I ever encountered.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
I've seen and read plenty of elitism from traditional archers but seen and read a lot more wannabes.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by overbo:
I've seen and read plenty of elitism from traditional archers but seen and read a lot more wannabes.
That sounds a bit elitist right there.  Is that a judgement based on skill level, time in the sport...basic ability or. ????   What defines a "wannabe" vs. a fine, professional, highly skilled archer like yourself.    Seems to me as long as we are all outside flinging arrows and having a good time things are good.  Not sure we should look down on others based on skill or ability just As we shouldn't because of equipment.  At least that's the way I see it.  

I "wannabe" a really good archer...still working to get there.  Not sure I would pass your test Overbo.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Some of the elitism that is perceived is a backlash to what bowhunting is currently being portrayed as by the the hunting industry, media, and celebrity hunters.  What is shown on TV typically involves compound shooters and has very little relevance to the hunting experience that most of us seek.  Negative perceptions associated with this image get attributed to the bows themselves and people who shoot them.  Of course there are good people that shoot compound bows, but the generalization is reinforced every time you tune in to outdoor television and feel that reaction.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
I have a few archery friends, none shoot trad.  They don't shoot very often, I'm the one that's all "ate up" with it.  We don't shoot together much.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I've recounted this stories a couple times lately because it is even more relevant today:
Sometime in the early 80's when trad bows were becoming an oddity my dad and I where shooting somewhere (maybe Mudjaw in Toledo)  I don't remember the place but I'll never forget the lesson.  He was shooting his Howard Hill and I was shooting some recurve and a another guy came up with a compound and I smarted off something about compounds not real bows or some such nonsense just to my dad and he quickly cracked me upside the head to get my attention and said "look here son, I don't care what bow you shoot, if you shoot a bow then your a brother of mine and don't forget that". Haven't forgot that to this day.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
I am extremely lucky, because I only met great people shooting trad

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
If someone thinks they are a special breed based on the type of archery equipment they choose to use,critize others for their choice, then,they dont really have many problems in life, do they? "Elitist" is just another word for A$$----.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
Well, I would say a large % of us traditional bow hunters are far more impressed by animals taken w/ longbows and recurves than gun, compounds, ect. You hear and read it all the time and I've been on enough archery forums to know that you never read the hoopla that a doe taken w/ a trad. bow creates when compared other methods. I also hear trad. bow hunters use phrase '' if they used a trad. bow ''. If killing game w/ a trad. bow is looked at as such an accomplishment. I can't see how it doesn't affect ones ego.  It's the heart of why we do this. I read all the politically correct words from the trad. bow hunters on this thread but if you choose to '' take the challenge'' and succeed. I can't see how one doesn't pump their chest a bit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©