3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some tent info  (Read 432 times)

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some tent info
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
I'm in the process of accumulating the gear I need for a back country DIY elk or mule deer hunt.  I'll be backpacking in all my gear.  What tents are you guys using and share some photos if you have them.  Thanks guys!

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some tent info
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I use a kelty grand mesa 2..... packs down real small light weight and enough room for you and your gear. I'll see if I can find a pic

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
I like the Henry Shires Tarptents. Super light, quality USA made construction that is visibly better than some of the BA or other china made stuff.

I have an older model 2 man Cloudburst that is 2#4oz all in with floor, vestibule and bug mesh. The best thing is some of these will fit taller guys without you wedged up against the walls of the fabric.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Solo I run a Tarptent contrail 90 percent of the time. Just bought a Hilleberg Unna but haven't gotten to use it yet. Two guys or the weather sucks I have a Kifaru Sawtooth with wood stove.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Kifaru. 4 man tipi. And sleeping bag. Good stuff.
Dan Breen

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Go Lite makes a nice shelter that packs in right at 1#.  No bottom (nest) but it's got lot's of room.  5' x 9' inside.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Go-Lite Shangri La 5 man for me.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
MSR Hubba Hubba 2 man tent for solo.

Great vestibules.

Update:  I was looking for the Hubba Hubba and realize they have changed a little.  Still looks like a great tent.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Lots of nice tents mentioned above. I use a Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3... it's a 3 man tent but works great for 2 people. It has two doors and two vestibules. It is about 6# total OR you can use only the rain fly in the "pitch light" configuration for a light 3#.

As awbowman said above... think 2 man for a solo tent though. The bivys have their place, but with potential bad weather... you need the extra space provided by a 2 man. JMO

I went with the Mountain Hardwear due to its relatively inexpensive price tag compared to the others.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Tarptent Single Rainbow. 2Lbs great tent.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Kifaru para tarp and annex ,or kifaru 4 man tipi and don't forget the wood stove .I use a parastove also made by Kifaru.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
I used a Sierra Designs Clip Tent and was very happy in the Thunder Snow. Weighs 3 pounds 12 ounces a bit on heavy side for pack in but durable and plenty of room. Economical too. One for sale in classifieds right now.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Eureka flashlight tent and 8x10 sil nylon tarp
 the tarp gives you a bit of storage. The tent is really only big enough for your bag and boots.
  I used this set up for 3-6 days, if longer I go with a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 2 man and the tarp.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Go-lite Shangri-La 5.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline jimboby

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Not what you asked but I went with a hammock for a backpack hunt out west last year.  I used an 8x10 tarp and a pad.  Very warm and comfortable without the usual backache or sore shoulders from sleeping on the ground.  I don't know if I ever slept that well or felt more rested on a hunt.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
I'm leaning towards a Marmot pulsar 1 but I'll have to check out some of the other brands you guys have mentioned.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
Pulsar looks like a nice tent from a great company.  Have you considered going with the 2 man version. Less than a pound more and that extra space could really raise your comfort level if you end up stuck in the tent because of weather. Worth the 6 oz. I would think.  Plus allow you to bring a little more into the tent with you.   Just a thought.
I'm sure others can chime in about the benefits of a little extra space with minimal extra weight.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Here's a MSR Hubba Hubba HP.  It's a great tent and I use it when hunting with a partner.  When hunting alone I use a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.   Tons of great options out there...just find one that fits your needs for size and weight from a reputable manufacturer and it's hard to go wrong.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Hawk22 great thread been looking at tents myself for a while. There are some great choices here. What are your guys thoughts on the self standing vs tents that use trekking poles. I don't see myself carrying trekking poles while bow hunting. Do any of you carry trek poles and your bow? I like Tater's set up. I could may be use my not so good lite weight tent with the tarp set up.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I usually carry a small, light pack saw and cut a stick or sticks rather  than carry trekking poles.  My hunting partner and I usually pack in together.  One carries a 6-man Kifaru T-pee, the other the Kifaru medium stove. Each weights about 4#. Works for us.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©