3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unknown local bowyers?  (Read 688 times)

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
Unknown local bowyers?
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Any of you have a local bowyer that is putting out a great bow that no one has ever heard of? Those that never advertise and maybe just make bows part time?

Would love to hear about them and their bows!

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unknown local bowyers?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
Cory Engert (Heartland Bow). He is from Nebraska. I have a 3 piece that he built me last summer. Quiet, smooth and fast. Best experience I'v ever had with a bowyer. Cory communicated with me EVERY step of the way. And its really pretty, figured walnut and osage.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Mike Treadway is a great local bowyer that has never advertised but is quite successful. Mike doesn't even have a website. Mike is very well known in trad archery circles.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Jim Martin, Mahantango Custom Bows, Mt Pleasant Mills Pa. You could say I'm a fan. Jim is Mennonite, no website, no phone. Pretty much word-of-mouth. Makes beautiful Hill-style, reflex, and d/r longbows and a pretty mean 50's style recurve. Been my go-to bows for almost ten years and I've owned or shot pretty much everything out there. Feel free to PM me for contact info.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Chris hartwig of newwood longbows is a sponsor here, but relatively new as far as advertising.
A longtime self bow maker, his laminated longbows are excellent in every way and a super guy to boot.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
Thanks much...great to hear about some of the better regional bowyers the rest of us never hear about.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Dave Wallace of Marietta, Ohio--makes Wallace Mountain longbows.  They are things of beauty and unsurpassed in quality of workmanship.  He doesn't advertise as he doesn't want to get into the business full time.  Dave has won many IBO world championships with his bow so we know they can be shot well.   :D   Here is a shot of one.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
I was gonna say Treadway.  He used to have a website I believe?  Anyway, he seems to have a huge following here in the Southeast.  I've been to shoots in GA and FL and his bows are all over.  Man they shoot nice!  I have watched them in action and I'm impressed.  Last weekend I got to examine a phenolic riser 3pc longbow he built with beavertail grip and I'm telling you it gave up ZERO in quality and attention to detail compared to some of the more nationally known bowyers.  Now I want one  :)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
I have a nice 50# recurve by a local maker, Kevin Cramer. This guy only has 2 forms - a longbow form and a recurve and makes very few bows. I tried one when I was first getting started and it seemed really nice. I bought it and am still impressed with it even after shooting a lot of big name bows.

Problem is, this guy doesn't put any markings on the bows. Mine is 60" and 50# @ 28", but that's not marked on the bow anywhere. No name. Nothing.

I asked why he didn't put his name on the bows and he said he makes them only for fun and doesn't want to get any orders.

I've switched to left hand since I bought this first bow, but shot it again the other day and got a better group than I was getting lefty with the bow I've been practicing with. Plus, I killed my first trad deer with it, so there is no way I'd sell it for what I could get for an unmarked bow.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Kevin ( cupcake) Gerlock from Fallbrook, Ca. His three piece bows are great shooters. He also makes and sells a pop up target system.

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
Kevin Tallon from Tallon archery here in Ontario makes an awesome hybrid longbow called the Whisky Jack..
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Thanks again! A couple of bowyers mentioned here I have heard of, but most I haven't.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Great thread.  The regional differences in what people shoot has always interested me.  The differences are noteworthy even among fairly well known bowyers.  It is vast when you talk about the hidden gems that this thread has the potential to reveal.  Keep them coming!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I agree with NBK. Did a bowyer profile about Chris Hartwig and NewWood Longbows in the current issue of TradArchers' World magazine. Chris makes four different longbow models and all are quite lovely and snappy shooters. Article has closeup pix of his risers.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Little Crow a newer tradgang sponsor is making some really nice looking and performing recurves, was at his shop recently, good stuff to be shooting....

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:19:00 AM »
There's a guy here in Muskogee named Gale Culver, that used to make "Black Hollow Bowz." Gale is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet, and made some fine bows. Due to some serious health issues he quit making bows.

I really wish that I had known more about what I was looking for in a bow when I got mine from him, because it just doesn't fit me right, but it's one of the most beautiful bows he ever made. I had some pix up on the classifieds when I tried selling it (listed as " 64" hyrbrid 49#@28""). It's leopardwood and dymond wood and very pretty. Had no luck selling it here at half of what I paid for it, I guess because it's a "No-Name" bow. Totally understandable, but it was a bummer both times I tried to sell it.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
Jess Stuart is a little known bowyer out of the SW that is gaining a following for his craftsmanship and great, great customer service.  

I found him when searching for a Rocky Mountain Recurve and he not only builds a knock off but helped me locate a used original.  

Great guy and great bows.  I believe he has a website now but he is small and seems to want to stay that way.  

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Gene Sanders in Dallas Georgia - west of Atlanta. great craftsmanship and last time I checked prices were totally reasonable. specializes in short recurves.
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Dave Albright in Sims Arkansas, builds a very nice R/D longbow.  I have sold my widow PL's as his bows shoot every bit as good and are alot quieter.. they are very popular localy  but he does not advertise and wants to keep his bow building personable and enjoyable...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Surffever

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
When I was beginning to look for better bows I stumbled into 2 bows from smaller builders.  The first was a "Sweptwing" by a guy names Rick Erdman.  That was a great takedown recurve.  The second was a " Rampart" by John Gottshalk who has since passed away.  A fantastic 3pc recurve in osage.
Should never have sold either of these bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©