3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: direct replacement for TS1 PLUS  (Read 201 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
direct replacement for TS1 PLUS
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I really like TS1 PLUS string material and naturally its not made anymore. Does anyone know what the direct replacement is? Not a better string, or close but did they just re-brand it?
I called Brownell but the answer I got from the tech advisor was kind of a "FF +, OR d75 or rhino "kinda thing.
I like how easy it is to work with, it has some intial stretch, it feels softter than other Ff strings and its super quiet.
 Thanks
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: direct replacement for TS1 PLUS
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Ttt

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
You probably got the best answer you can from Brownell,I don't know of the replacement.I use mainly BCY products,8190 is a good small diameter per strand string.BCY-X is the same as 8190 but added 17% Vectran,both are SK 90 but the BCY-X is a blend.My Brownell I still have and use Ultra Cam,that has been discontinued along with TS 1 Plus.They may have some close but for me I wouldn't mix a close string materials.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
One of the problems I've found with Brownell is they don't publish what is used in their materials...so it's hard to say what would be comparable.  

BCY on the other hand puts it in their flyer, or if you call they will tell you straight up.

My guess is 452X (BCY) would be the closest, but that's only a guess.

I only use BCY products myself.  BCY-X is my current favorite material.  If you come to the TN Classis in a couple of weeks, I'll be there with lots of material at a bargain.  I also plan to be at Compton's and the Howard Hill.

Chad

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, and I plan on trying to make the classic so maybe we can find something to my liking

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
I did some research and it looks liek TS1+ or TS+ is made from 100%HMPE ... so dyneema.

Based on when it came out I'd guess it's SK75 dyneema ... same as D97 and 8125 (both 100% SK75 dyneema also)

D-10 (force10) is SK78 dyneema (slightly stronger)

8190 is SK90 dyneema (the top material right now)

I know 8125G is 92% SK75dyneema and 8% gore fiber (actual material composition not disclosed, but Gore is know for PTFE compositions so I'd guess thats what it is)

You're going to need to just get your hands on the stuff and test the feel if thats what you're looking for.

All of the dyneema based strings are really quite good so I'd use whatever you like the feel of.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
"I did some research and it looks liek TS1+ or TS+ is made from 100%HMPE ... so dyneema."

Dyneema is a registered trade name for HMPE/UHMWPE--not all HMPE is Dyneema.  DSM owns the name "Dyneema".  There are cheaper versions, especially from China.  I'm not sure if the grading system is specific to DSM or all HMPE.

I've asked, and can't get Brownell to confirm or deny that they use the Dyneema brand HMPE in their materials.  Dyneema is considered to be the premium HMPE.

8190 is the highest grade of Dyneema/HMPE available at this time (SK90).  I like the BCY-X a little better because the small amount of Vectran incorporated into it makes it even more stable, expecially in higher temps.

For information on what's in any of BCY's bowstring materials, check here:

http://www.bcyfibers.com/Bowstring.php

The basic differences are the grade of Dyneema used in the material, whether they are 100% Dyneema or Dyneema/Vectran blends, and if they are a blend how much Vectran is in them.

The higher the grade of Dyneema, the stronger/more durable it is.  You will get a little less stretch/creep as the grade goes up.

Vectran is a little heavier than Dyneema, so it may effect speed a tiny bit.  It's also not as durable, so you will get more fuzz with materials like 450+ and 452X vs. the 100% Dyneema materials.  The blended materials seem to be a little quieter also.

GORE is added to help increase durability--it will have little to no effect on performance.

BCY-X seems to be the perfect blend--very quiet, very stable, very durable.

However, as Ben noted, all the Dyneema based materials are good.  

It boils down to personal preferance mostly.  It's like a really good archer--when you get to that level, there's no room for huge improvements--you work hard to pick up a little here or there.  That's where string materials have come to--they are so good there's not a huge difference in them.

I stick with BCY because they have been the most consistent, have shown me the best customer service, and even though they supply 85-90% of the world's bowstring material they are always looking to try and improve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©