3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Good Friday Longbeard  (Read 695 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Good Friday Longbeard
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
Kentucky, how I've missed you my girl  :)  I was raised in Tennessee, live in Illinois, but a big part of my heart resides in the Bluegrass State. Having lived there for several years and having a chance to hunt LBL near where I lived, I grew a fondness for KY turkeys (and mint julips). For the the past 10 years I have had the good fortune of having a place there to hunt. A friend who knows how I love these birds, who shares his farm with me like a brother.

When the season opened there last weekend, it hurt a little not being there. I have an 11 year old who is beginning his own turkey fever, but with his home state birds. I am not near the guide I should be for him. That's all I'm going to say about that...

When my friend offered a redeaux of the planned opener Easter weekend I pounced like a cat on a mouse. I even got the green light from my wife and some added mojo...my daughter Ava, not yet a turkey nut in her own right but learning fast,wanted to roll to the cabin in the woods with her pop. So long as we were back for Easter Sunday, we were golden.

A quick sleep, an early wake up and a forced march for my girl. The enormity of gear it takes to get myself in the turkey woods is nutty, I know. But a Waldrop seat, decoys, and for this trip, a popup blind was what we took, as well as a Kindle for her, and a weeks forth of rations for us both. I think my friend Guru has been there before. Half-mule, half-man, some mythical Centaur-like creature...a dad wanting to take his kid hunting. It was worth every ounce. A half mile walk with all that gear and a half-asleep little girl went well. We even managed to get the blind up before flydown...

*Ankle high wheat, turkey buffet

We had one visitor that set, but got to hear a ton of birds gobble on the roost. There seemed to be a wad near one of my favorite spots across the road. I made a mental note, and after our visitor left, we exited the blind. We left it just in case...

*Our visitor. A small bullfrog that My girl had fun chasing as I gathered the dekes.

*Some pictures of a triad Bluegrass Beauties
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Good Friday Longbeard
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »
So with a long walk back to the cabin, some fishing in the pond, a nap for yours truly, and some cookie making with our hosts and Ava, the afternoon went fast. At 3 pm we grabbed another blind, all that gear, and many more snacks. I had a hunch that with the warmer temps the birds would be hanging in the hollows keeping cool. I had a special wildlife opening in mind near a creek, perfect for a blind.

Another half mile, and we hit the spot. Blind popped, decoys spread in front, and us two in a blind for a 4 hour sit. By hour 2 we were down to our last layer and it was hotter than any blind I could remember. Maybe it was the bad winter, or the extra pounds I have put on, all I know is that I was roasting. No way, she makes the 4 hours I thought. I should have known my hard-headed offspring would prove me wrong...

*Our second set

Finally we get a reprieve. Not from the heat, but by a raspy old hen who told us to get out of her opening. She told us that for 20 minutes, which helped pass the time for both of us. When she left I half expected my daughter to call No Mas...quit on her stool and end this sweat lodge for both of us. Thankfully she is tougher than me!

After 30 minutes of sweat, there it was. That sound. A click, a pssssssst and boom. I knew what it was before I saw them. I asked her to be as still and quiet as she could. I peaked to see four hens picking there way into the decoys. I was able to see the first tom come into the window strutting, unfortunately superimposed by one in half strut offering no shot, on their way to Sparky, my beloved jake deke...
Mike Davenport

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 01:14:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:24:00 AM »
:eek:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »
To save Sparky, something had to happen. Luckily, a third tom trailing the two more dominant birds,,caught my attention. I had no time to think, just draw, pick and drop it. At impact the bird rolled immediately, and the other two veered off their attack on Sparkey, turning their attention to the mortally wounded buddy.

They kicked him and pecked him and well, I had to hide my daughters eyes on some if it. Let's just say a dominant tom turkey really knows how to kick a guy when he's down. I was so worried they were going to get up the flopping bird, having him bail out to the hollow below was a scary thought. My first arrow was a pass through, and the second was a coup de grace, less for the worry of losing this bird, but more to save him from his buddies, uh hmmmm, dominance. At the shot the other birds slipped off.

We waited until they were out of site and slipped from the blind to get our bird! We took our time with the photos and soaked up the hunt and the cool temps outside the black octagon of swelter. Here's how we found him:

*Green stripe rides again

After packing the decoys, and blind, and snacks and all else we needed for an afternoon hunt, we took advantage of the remaining light for a few photos. Hope you enjoy them! What a Good Friday! I learned that my daughter was hard-headed like me, and I think that will serve her well in the years ahead  :)  

*Hardheaded girl

*Takes after her father

Back at the cabin, it was celebration time. Our hosts met us with a smile, and soon the tale was retold over and over. All I can say is that it was one of the happiest days of my life.

Mike Davenport

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »
Thanks for takin' us along!

Congratulations!

Enjoy the feast!

Celebrate a Happy Easter!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:00 AM »
Outstanding story and no better quality time could be spent with your young un'! Congrats on a great bird, an unforgettable memory (for you both) and great Good Friday!

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
Looks like a real nice piece of property to spend some quality time. Fine looking bird.   :thumbsup:

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Good story and great bird Mike!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
What a gray way to spend some time!!!!  Congrats

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Congrats on the Turkey, your daughter's smile says it all!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Hah!  Great smiles and story. Hauling enough stuff around to keep the kids quiet and hidden is a huculean task!  I don't think we have near enough time planned for Florida next year--I won't even be able to hear the stories from THIS year.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Congrats again buddy!  You're having a heck of a turkey year already.  Those Nebraska birds should be very afraid!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
It is a real joy to take our kids into the field, and pass on the hunt. Thanks for the story, and grats on a fine bird. May there be many more group hunts in your future!
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
"Half-mule, half-man, some mythical Centaur-like creature...a dad wanting to take his kid hunting."

HaHaHa  :biglaugh:  Great description and sooo true!

Congratulations Mike.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Great story!!  Love it when the kids get involved!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Congrats what a special time being with your daughter afield and closing a deal on a beautiful bird puts the icing on the cake!! THXS for sharing
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Great Hunt, even better, you shared it with your daughter.

Congrats!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Awesome, Mike!

Congrats and Happy Easter!

Bisch

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Sounds like a life-long memory was made. Congratulations!
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©