3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Instinct Meets Mr. Tom  (Read 750 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Instinct Meets Mr. Tom
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Ever since Bill Dunn announced his plan to introduce a 3 blade Grizzly broadhead I have been excited to give them a try.  At the PBS gathering last month I was able to sweet talk Bill into letting take home a pack of some of the very first heads off the press.  I did a little review of my initial impressions on an earlier thread here.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=136766#000014

In that thread all I could do was shoot at sand piles and boards.  The real tests would come in the field.  

In another thread there was a discussion of the color of the head.  Bill had decided on a nice tan color for this head.  I have to say that it looks even better with some red tones added    :goldtooth:

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Re: Grizzly Instinct Meets Mr. Tom
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Way to go, Whip!

Congrats!

Bisch

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Congrats!  Looks like it was a success.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Way to go Joe.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice bird Joe!
Those heads do look nice in red!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
The first week of our Wisconsin turkey season opened on Wednesday this week but I didn't get up to our hunting cabin until Thursday evening.

I wasn't in time to hunt that evening,  so after dark I set up my blind in an old favorite location.   My morning plan would be to walk down to that spot before daylight,  listen for gobbles,  and then decide what to do.  

My preference is to head toward some close gobbles with the ghili suit and try to set up on some roosted birds.  When the initial morning activity is over and the birds have inevitably given me the slip I will often return to the blind to spend the latter part of the morning.

To save on the amount of gear I would need to carry in the morning I stashed my Waldrop chair,  ghili suit and decoys in the blind.  That would prove to be a mistake...

The next morning as I stepped out of the cabin for a last sip of coffee I was blasted with raucous gobbles from what sounded like at least 5 toms less than 200 yards away!   I had my bow,  but no decoys,  no ghili,  and no blind.  There was no way I would make it all the way down to retrieve my stuff and back before they would be off the roost.  

It was a tough choice,  but I ended up walking away from all those birds and on down to the blind.  As you would expect,  I heard no gobbles nearby once I got there.    :banghead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Awesome, buddy!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
way to go Joe!
Make a life, not a living

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Nice job Joe!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
:campfire:  

I knew it wouldn't be long until someone tried to change the color of that head to red.  It looks good like that!

Good stuff Joe, keep it coming!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Nice Tom.  Hope to see if Texas hog blood similarly reflects well off the Instinct head.  
    :thumbsup:  

Charlie; Big River should be here soon.  He had to trim it from 62" to 60" to get my weight.  No worries!!!  Should push an Instinct very well.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
The blind sits on an outside corner of woods at the intersection of three fields of corn, soybeans, and newly planted CRP.  It is a natural turkey crossing area, and I have had great luck there in past years.  When nothing else is happening elsewhere it is a great place to set up and just wait.  There was also a halfway decent chance that those roosted birds from up behind the cabin would eventually make their way down to the fields.

The morning was crisp, calm, and bright.  A perfect day to be in the woods.  But after the initial gobbles from surrounding woods and the birds had flown down for the morning I didn't hear another sound.  Not even a hen appeared in any of the fields that I could see.  The early morning hours drifted by without a hint of a turkey in the area.

Finally, about 9 am I broke out some nuts for a snack and opened a book to pass some time.  I hadn't even finished the forward of the book when I looked out to see a turkey crossing the corn field 300 yards out. Binoculars told me it was a mature tom!

He continued on down and into the CRP field.  I cut loose with what I thought was sexy turkey talk.  He never so much as broke stride or looked my direction.  This guy was on a mission, and before I knew it, he was up and over a small rise and out of sight.  Dang!  I know I'm not the best caller in the world, but usually I can at least get a glance!

Not more than a few minutes later, right from the rise the tom had disappeared behind, a turkey came over the top headed my way.  And he was coming on a dead run!  I don't know if it was the same bird that suddenly had a change of heart, or another bird that had heard my calls, but this one was closing fast!

I scrambled to get my chair folded out of the way, windows of the blind adjusted, and an arrow knocked.  At forty yards he put on the brakes and puffed into a half strut.  

I had an alert hen decoy at about ten yards, and a breeding hen with a DSD jake behind her at seven.  The tom worked his way steadily in while sizing up the competition from my jake.  When he reached eight yards I drew, picked my spot, and the string slipped away.

At the shot the tom hobbled away on one good leg with the arrow hanging by the fletches from the opposite side.  He made his way down to a little patch of brush and trees between the fields and held up there.  Obviously not dead, but not feeling very well either.  The good news was that I could keep eyes on him and he couldn't leave that little thicket without me seeing him go.

I know all too well what happens when a marginally hit bird is pushed too soon, so I just bidded my time watching and waiting.  I wanted to give him as much time as I could.

To make a long story short, I eventually worked my way up to the mortally wounded bird, missed with a follow up arrow, and after a short foot chase ended up taking him down with a Clay Matthews style sack.  He was finally mine!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing,  Would have loved to watch the tackle in person.   :biglaugh:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Wisconsin spilts its spring turkey season into six different time periods and are awarded by drawing.  This was the first week, and in many areas additional leftover tags can be purchased for the latter weeks of the season.  

I do have another tag in my pocket for the middle of May in the zone at the cabin, plus another one for the zone at home.  I am looking forward to some more great mornings in the woods.  

This morning as I walked out from the cabin to look over the fields I could see a lone hen out in the middle of that CRP field with EIGHT strutting toms surrounding her! She must have been one hot babe!

To be continued!  I hope!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Good for you Joe, congrats on a fine Tom.  A sack huh?  I think you need to start using a Go-Pro if you're going to keep doing stuff like that.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Oh, and a follow up on the post mortum.  I thought I hit just about exactly where I wanted to, but it turned out to be just a little too far forward.  The arrow had passed through both sides of the breast and out the thigh on the other side without ever getting inside the vitals.  

That is often a recipe for an unrecoverd bird.  But there was a lot of blood loss and the broadhead did its job even with a less than perfect hit.  In my book anyway, it passed the test with flying colors.    :thumbsup:   Tan and red colors!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
That's great Joe!  You write a nice story that's made easy to read by your use of paragraphs.  Congratulations on your first bird of the season!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
Good for you Joe, congrats on a fine Tom.  A sack huh?  I think you need to start using a Go-Pro if you're going to keep doing stuff like that.
I guarantee that video would have gone viral!   :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
Nice one Joe. Way to make your experience work for you. Many would have pushed that bird. I think quartering away up thru the drumstick is about the best you can get now. Lost too many birds with what I thought was an excellent shot.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
Fine bird Joe .... congrats and good luck on that future tag
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©