3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will 5 grains matter ?  (Read 605 times)

Offline longbow565

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will 5 grains matter ?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Thank you friend. That's about what I'm thinking.
A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man
with a helmet defending a football.
God bless America

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
no difference at all. i do exactly the same thing.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Use it to your advantage as a psychological boost.  Since we tend to get a bit excited at times and occasionally short draw when live game is the target, you can shoot with confidence knowing that extra 5 grains of broadhead weight is exactly offsetting the poundage lost from that last 1/4" you didn't pull completely to anchor, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
When Roger Rothaar was developing the Snuffer he did some indepth tests on weight variations and impact/flight differences.  If I remember correctly, he found little if any at normal hunting ranges of 50 or so grain difference in broadhead weight.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Say five grains is 0.8% of the overall weight, then it is about the same as being 1/5 of an inch difference between draw to anchor between arrows.  I doubt most of us are that consistant in field conditions.  

So: no.  I shoot 145 gr Judos with my 125 gr field points and 130 gr broadheads.  No noticable differance.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
No!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
My vote is no. Go shoot and have some fun!

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
No! But if it bothers you like it does me, you can do what I do and buy the 5gr brass washers from 3Rivers and put them behind your field point.

Bisch
+1 the difference doesn't mean anything but the thought of it being different bothers me and confidence is important so to quell my OCD the washers are good

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Archery is a mental game, so if ya got it in your mind that the 5 is going to mess you up, then add the washers and have peace of mind.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
First off I am trying to help not confuse.  Just curious about your tuning arrows. I am shooting arrow with wraps and feathers.  So my "bare shaft" is actually not bare.  I take a fletched arrow and just cut the feather off and leave the quill.  this gets the most accurate weight representation when doing the tuning test.    

It sounds like you a serious with your thoughts on matching the weight of your arrows and tuning. Check out this video.  I only shoot the "bare shaft" with the quill attached.  more closely represents the weight of a fletched shaft.  My "coach" arrow" as Ken Beck puts it.  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Joe03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
No! But if it bothers you like it does me, you can do what I do and buy the 5gr brass washers from 3Rivers and put them behind your field point.

Bisch
This is what I did, most likely doesn't mater but, make me feel like I'm doing it the right way.
Spirit 46# Longbow,
Maddog Mountaineer Longbow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keith Langford:
 ...I am shooting 145 grain field points, but can only find 150 grain broadheads, screw on, so is the 5 grains gonna make a difference,...
Why not grind off that 5 grains from either the broadhead back or from the inserts?

Regarding does it make a difference, why not get the weight right on?

As a carpenter years ago my boss went ballistic when you cut a stud even 1/8th inch off. "Its just as easy to cut it exactly right as it is to cut it exactly wrong" he'd huff. And it made a difference when we would plumb and square the walls and set the ridge.

Details matter.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
To all that say it matters, do you weigh how much glue you use on an insert? Do you weigh the insert? How about your feathers? Do you weigh the glue used to adhere them? Weigh each feather? How about....oh, never mind, you get my point.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
My opinion, no it absolutely will not matter at all. However, there is an anal side to me that acknowledges that tradtional bow hunting has more uncontrollable variables than I care to count, so why not control the variable that are quite easy to control when given the opportunity?

5 grain washers, removing 5 grains from brass insert, etc etc are simple fixes to a relatively easy variable to control.

Because in this game on variables, I want as many of them as possible to go away.

my $0.02

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
No difference in 145 and 150 grains that I can tell, or between any grain difference that is as slight as 5 grains.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©