3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH Southeastern Classic - Rookie  (Read 524 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
HH Southeastern Classic - Rookie
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
So I have begun planting the seeds in my wife's ear about me and perhaps my oldest son (9) driving to the the HH SEC this June in McCalla Alabama, (I live at Ft Benning/Phenix City Al). This would be my first large step deeper into the Trad world. I have never really spoken to, hunted with, or shot with other trad shooters. I've been dabbling in it for a few years though. Last deer season was actually my first trad only season. Didn't tag one but didn't mind a bit. Had some excellent hunts and have no intentions of ever going in the woods with any other weapon again. We have plenty of pigs to practice on all year long (sorry, that sounds cold, I don't mean practice as in a pig is somehow a sub-standard quarry - quite the opposite. Only that there's less of an emotional attachment to them). Anyways, I was wondering what I could expect as far as these type of things go. I expect the usual Trad crowd standards - good people, not arrogant, helpful, fun, down to earth people, but what else? Are these large events with multiple things going on? A lot of vendors? Different outdoor products? I think my son would enjoy it, maybe re-ignite the archery bug in him. You know how young kids can be, every week something else is competeing for his attention. Any insights or pointers anyone may have experienced either from this particular shoot or a similar one would be great. I know its a HH classic, but Im currently a recurve guy, I hope that doesn't matter. In fact, I would love to walk away from my first shoot with a nice souvenir, like say... a new bow. Haha that part wont be briefed to the wife in advance. Still undecided if Id shoot in it or simply go to just take in the sights and sounds and begin a plan to shoot at my 2nd one or not. Thanks in advance'
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH Southeastern Classic - Rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm no help to your question, but thought  I would chime in  because I am planning on going  my first time also. I'm with you, I have talked my whole clan in to going and don't know what to expect .
In fact, none of us have shot a 3D shoot  yet.
Maybe someone out there in TG land will show us the ropes.

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
When is it?  I would like to go as well.  It would be my first also.

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Found it June 6 7 8

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
By all means, be there! It is a great shoot with many vendors. Best of all, you will meet lots of trad shooters. It is fun, pure and simple. I have been going for several years. I am terrible with names but I recognize dozens of faces each year. Commonly, I shoot with people I have never met before, and I have a great time. I have never won anything - I'm just not that good, but with trad you will find that, even with the serious competitors, fun is the prime objective. Your assessment of the type of people to expect to meet is spot on. I hope to see some of you guys there.
Sam

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
I will be attending this year also  :)
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
It's tons of fun.  Like any other large gathering, there will be all sorts of people there--all types of personalities from all walks of life.

Tons of vendors.  Along with the HH tournament, there's usually a gem show going on at the park that same weekend (a short walk from the parking area--you'll drive right by it), there's the Tannehill Ironworks with a few different attractions, and even a miniature train you can ride around the park--and you will usually see lots of deer and squirrels running around.  Also a country store with lots of goodies.

You can make a full weekend of it just shooting bows, or a full weekend even if you don't shoot a bow.

Chad

Offline Steve-ALA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
PM sent Cavscout
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:04:00 AM »
make it fir sure i try to never miss it one of my favs i look forward to each year you can't go wrong i highly recommend it   :thumbsup:
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 02:06:00 AM »
oh yeah i forgot there is usually a good sized gem and rock and mineral show going on that same weekend just next to us so that is something cool to look at also
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
This will be my first time there also. Me and the wife are going.
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses folks. Work permitting, I will drive over and check it out. Still dont think I'll shoot in this one but who knows, June is still a little ways away. Haha
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
It would be nice if we could get a bunch of TG members to meet up and possibly shoot together. I have often wondered at the various shoots if other members were present. It could be beneficial, I could show some of the newer trad guys the ropes of a trad oriented shoot, and maybe somebody could teach me how to shoot a longbow. After all, I've only been trying to shoot that thing since the 1990's.
Sam

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Not a bad idea Sam. I expect circles exist on here and generally shoot together at these things. If it turns out folks want to do that I'm down. I would certainly enjoy a hands on walk-through for these events. Haha
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Definately shoot the course.  You don't have to turn in a score if you don't want to.  It's not usually the toughest course, but lots of fun to shoot.  A good one to get your feet wet on.

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
Cavscout9753
I've shot it several times. I was like you, hesitate about actually shooting the first time. However, I did shoot and had a blast. Just walked up, seen a group of guys and said, "mind if I shoot with ya'll." Made a few new hunting buddies along the way. You'll get looked at the same, no matter the skill level. We're all brothers of the bow.
Plus, I look at it as great practice, not competition.
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
I will be there too.  Trust me, you will have a great time and meet lots of good folks.  I had not been shooting a traditional bow long at all when I first went to the HH Clasic and I shot on the course.  There will be all skill levels there and most people are there just to have a good time.  There are also plenty of traditional vendors there.  Hope to see ya'll there.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses! I'm really looking forward to attending. As for shooting, if I can find a nicer bow before then perhaps. I shoot a Red Stag right now and don't feel like a days worth of answering the "what bow is that" question. Every time a see a modestly priced upgrade, it goes fast or is gone, which makes me happy since it means the craft is very much still alive and well! Haha hope to see many of you there! Happy shooting!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with your red stag as long as you like it and shoot it well.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
One of the best shots I've known shot an old, butt-ugly Bear "Black Bear".  He had a few, that particular one he paid either $50 for, or he got it free because he took it from an old shed with a big wasp nest on it.

I shot one of my best scores ever on a 3-D course (averaged almost 9 points per target) with a Samick Journey (retails for around $130, I think?).  Won both targets on the long shot novelty at the KY Tradfest with it.

Don't worry about the bow--just come on and have fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©