3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trying not to give in...help  (Read 627 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
trying not to give in...help
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Well my spring turkey season started off by haveing a bird at 22 yds without a clear shot and a trespassing neighbor runnin him off. My time is limited and all the people around me think im nuts for useing a long bow. Anyone else ever get the itch to get out the shot gun?
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: trying not to give in...help
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Keep the faith in your bow, and prosecute the trespassing neighbor.
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
use what you want.

When you're ready to quit....remember why you held on so long...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Use that shotgun on the trespasser and you won't be able to go turkey hunting for a while.

Be patient and stick with your longbow and birds   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Use what you want man.  It should be fun
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
What's more important to you ?  Harvesting a turkey each year, or first (among the buddies)   or hunting them your way, enjoying the hell out of your hunt time (and maybe not getting one at all) ?

If the first, dig out the shotgun.  If the last, enjoy smelling the roses and carry your stick.

ChuckC

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I missed two turkeys yesterday with my longbow. Both would have been extremely dead with a shotgun. Use what you want, but the longbow gives you more time to observe the birds and enjoy your time afield. For me, missing two birds with a bow trumps killing one with a shotgun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
What's more important to you ?  Harvesting a turkey each year, or first (among the buddies)   or hunting them your way, enjoying the hell out of your hunt time (and maybe not getting one at all) ?

If the first, dig out the shotgun.  If the last, enjoy smelling the roses and carry your stick.

ChuckC
Absolutely right. If the result is your main concern, then the most effective method is probably the shotgun. If the experience holds more value than the meat, then there is no better way to hunt than with your stick and string.

Either way, the choice is yours and yours alone.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
In my experience of turkey hunting I have had just as much success with my bow as with a shotgun...  :rolleyes:  
  ;)

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
I took my scattergun this year because I am losing my lease and thought I would up my chances. It sat in my camper the whole 4 day hunt. That was near the start of the season. I did not even bother to take it the rest of the season!

Btw, I would have had at least 2 more birds had I taken it to be blind and used it! I do not regret that one bit!

Bisch

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Had another shot this year and went right through the fan. Swing and a miss. Certainly would have gotten it with a shotgun and probably most every year but nowhere near the same experience. After listening to them gobble for the first hour in the tree then the fly down. The next two hours I waited patiently in the blind I constructed while the boss hen took over the calling almost continuously a couple hundred yards away. They finally began moving but were heading away. I knew they were following a cleared forest trail so I decided to head them off. I got to the trail ahead of them but they were only 50 yds away and coming. I was on my knees 8 yds off the trail when they cleared the small knoll with the hen leading and still squacking. She saw the glint of my bow since the sun was facing me and turned with the tom still fanned out. I got a shot through some small growth white pine at the buthole as he turned to leave. 4" high got me nothing.....but a whole lot of excitement. They scattered with a few flying up in the trees and other moved 10 yds off and still strutting.For the next 30 minutes they surrounded me not knowing what happened, as I called to try to bring them in to no avail. That certainly would not have happened after a shotgun blast. A great day in the woods with my 68" Northern Mist with absolutely no thoughts of returning to the gun.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
Fact is, turkeys aren't that hard to kill with a gun.  I can't go into all of the details of my turkey this year, but I took a buddy who's never shot one.....he got his and the other two birds hesitated.....I could've easily shwapped mine with an arrow.  If it wasn't for the moment and being able to double, it'd been the bow no doubt later in the week.  I mean I even had to turn around and grab the thing off the tree it was leaning on.  Fun for the moment, but not how I wanted it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
I gave up on the gun a few years ago,not fun for me anymore. Just do whatever makes you happy.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
I have used a gun when long trips were involved. My wife pressures me to bring home game. I think she has some sort of primal way of thinking. I hate it when I here stuff like "that was a long way to go just to sit in the woods". So I take a sure thing to harvest whatever as not to cause marital discord if you know what I mean.

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
well im back in the blind as we speak my trinity rogue long bow leaned in front of me and the old double barrel sits in her case at home. thanks guys
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
"There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy."

I remember the last deer I shot with a rifle. I looked at the dead deer, looked at the gun in my hands, then decided I could never do that again. The thrill was gone.

If you get a kick from gun hunting, by all means, do it! No regrets. If the day ever comes to give it up, believe me, you will know it.

Have fun and don't worry about it. Good luck!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Good luck.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
Hi . I have been hunting turkey in Maryland this week . I am using a long bow , strap on tree seat , and leafey bug suite top .Easey in , easey seat up .Today I worked 2 birds . The first one gave me a shoot I would have taken with a shotgun ,but no bow shot . The second one put on a show for me just out of bow range . It was a great morning , and I have no regrets not having a shotgun .

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
I have never hunted turkeys in east tx. Just not a lot of them around my area. But I have been hog hunting quite a bit lately on a neighbors property where I have taken dozens of hogs with "other" weapons in the previous years. Gave up the ole smoke pole and training wheels last fall. I have yet to take anything with trad gear. 1 unrecovered hog, several misses on hogs and a missed whitetail! Been busted by several old wise boars in the last month or so. My friends and wife keep asking why I don't just take a gun or the compound. I tell them that NOTHING gives me a rush like I get when I get within range with my longbow. Idc if I get busted or even miss! I enjoy it above all else! And that's what it's about! Do what brings YOU the most enjoyment! Good hunting!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©